Author Topic: Atlanta Mayoral Race  (Read 3840 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Atlanta Mayoral Race
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:15:51 pm »
Please forgive the posting in the General section but I wanted to make sure that its widely seen.

Atlanta HEFFA'S, who do you think is going to win the mayoral race tomorrow?

I just saw a segment about this on CNN with the possibility of a White candidate winning the race.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Atlanta Mayoral Race
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:08:04 am »
Yeah, should be interesting what the outcome will be tonight after 7pm EST.

Let's see if the hugely black majority in that city turns out and vote.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:50:21 am »
regardless of color, which candidate is more qualified.  I saw that same article but only skimmed the first paragraph or so.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 11:55:31 am »
regardless of color, which candidate is more qualified.  I saw that same article but only skimmed the first paragraph or so.

What we saw last year was unprecedented as far the black vote turning out in record numbers so I'm comparing this election cycle to the last [presidential] to get an idea what to expect in the mid-term elections next year.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 07:51:41 pm »

What we saw last year was unprecedented as far the black vote turning out in record numbers so I'm comparing this election cycle to the last [presidential] to get an idea what to expect in the mid-term elections next year.

The Republicans just took New Jersey, so I'd say the Dem. turn out is definitely much lower. 

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »
in Detroit, Dave Bing is mayor-elect again, this being the 4th city election in the span of a year following the ousting of former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.  5 of 9 sitting city councilpersons are out-- one is retiring and chose not to run, one is already removed from office and awaiting sentencing on bribery(monica conyers, much-younger wife of congressman John), R&B legend Martha Reeves didn't make it past the August primary (this past summer, she called her full-time-pay council gig "a second job" in the British press while on tour-- and missing some meetings), and two incumbents didn't make the final cut after the final ballots were counted.. Charles Pugh, a former local TV anchor & radio announcer, was the top vote-getter for council, and by Detroit city charter rules, will be council President in January.. 11th hour revelations about foreclosure/eviction proceedings on Pugh's condo didn't stop locals from giving him the top vote of the 18 candidates available (whittled down from 150+ this past August).. Pugh also is the first openly gay person to be elected to office in the city.. Gary Brown, an ex-cop whose whistleblower lawsuit against the city eventually led to revelations of Kilpatrick's affair with a top aide, was the 2nd top vote getter in the council race..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:48:38 am »
Whoa.  Hol' up...  ???

Martha Reeves is a politician??

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:06:38 am »
Damn. hype your posts on detroit make it real clear to me...I will never live in motown.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:42:52 pm »
Detroit is East St. Louis on steroids.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 10:00:31 am »
Whoa.  Hol' up...  ???
Martha Reeves is a politician??

hee-hee-hee...  ;)
Ms. Reeves was elected in 2005 to city council.. She ran on a platform to increase Detroit's profile as a tourism/entertainment destination.. one of the ideas floated by her was to have statues erected of various Detroit/Motown music stars throughout downtown (to compete with the various Old White Guy pigeon-perches here and there).. nothing ever happened..

http://tinyurl.com/yd6umpj
Be Kind to Someone Today.