Author Topic: DOOMWAR # 3 Preview  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: DOOMWAR # 3 Preview
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 09:07:35 am »
I don't know?  I do confess ignorance as to any inter-faith relationship between Norse and Egyptian or Greek deities.

However, I was trying to convey the idea of the power of any being, deity or not, as proportional to the faith of its followers.
That is ultimately how I seperate TPG, so central to the Wakandan belief system, from Thor or Odin.  Could TPG die if the
Wakandans can merely believe him to be?  Would Doom have been able to physically confront TPG as he might Thor or Odin?  Perhaps I'm influenced by the reverence with which the author had Doom address TPG?  It's not like these questions have answers so much as beliefs.  But therein can lay power.

Peace,

Mont     

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 09:53:32 am »
Two things, even in Egyptian mythology, the gods could die. 

Two, remember something else I said on another thread:  In magic storylines, passing a test is often done like this.  Powerful entity has a test, and as long as testee passes the "letter of test" they pass and magic gives them the prize, whether they deserve it or not.  In this case, T'challa (not pg) made a test.  He said "you must have a pure heart".  He didn't say "a honest, righteous heart.  He didn't even as for the testee to be correct.  All that was asked was a pure heart, and pure heart means someone has a singular vision; such as pure gold means 100 percent gold.  Doom's vision and desire was 100 percent his heart desire and viewpoint.  The fact that he is wrong and evil aren't being tested so by the rules of magic, you can't consider it.

The problem I think is JM wasn't completely clear in this in the dialogue between the two.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 10:48:46 am »
Two, remember something else I said on another thread:  In magic storylines, passing a test is often done like this.  Powerful entity has a test, and as long as testee passes the "letter of test" they pass and magic gives them the prize, whether they deserve it or not. 

;D You said "testee!"  ;D

In this case, T'challa (not pg) made a test.  He said "you must have a pure heart".  He didn't say "a honest, righteous heart.  He didn't even as for the testee to be correct.  All that was asked was a pure heart, and pure heart means someone has a singular vision; such as pure gold means 100 percent gold.  Doom's vision and desire was 100 percent his heart desire and viewpoint.  The fact that he is wrong and evil aren't being tested so by the rules of magic, you can't consider it.

Agreed!  Well summarized.

Peace,

Mont

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 01:07:00 pm »
Doom's vision and desire was 100 percent his heart desire and viewpoint.  The fact that he is wrong and evil aren't being tested so by the rules of magic, you can't consider it.

The problem I think is JM wasn't completely clear in this in the dialogue between the two.

Here's what you're not understanding...

I know what the riddle said in the vibranium vault.  I believe I have a good idea what the riddle meant. I knew that it would require anyone to drop thier inhibitions and confess what thier true desires and intentions are. In Dr. Doom's case, literally. ;D  but I think T'Challa set the trap with the intention of blocking an evil person from entering. Doom is evil.
If T'Challa believed that the riddle could easily be solved when he set the trap, why would he set it?

So, yeah, I agree with you on one thing...
---Mr. Maberry wasn't very clear in Bast's exchange with Von Doom.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 02:24:58 pm »
<<but I think T'Challa set the trap with the intention of blocking an evil person from entering. Doom is evil.If T'Challa believed that the riddle could easily be solved when he set the trap, why would he set it?S>>

Because he made a mistake; he could not imagine that an evil person could be so self-aware, honest and open.  Being evil usually precludes such things.

Oh, and one more, maybe the most key one--the test required humility; the person had to humble themselves and T just couldn't imagine that Doom could be humble.

So, yeah, he assumed his test would stop evil, because he could never imagine a human being so evil yet so pure, humble and honest at the same time.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 07:19:35 am »
Because he made a mistake; he could not imagine that an evil person could be so self-aware, honest and open.  Being evil usually precludes such things.

Oh, and one more, maybe the most key one--the test required humility; the person had to humble themselves and T just couldn't imagine that Doom could be humble.

So, yeah, he assumed his test would stop evil, because he could never imagine a human being so evil yet so pure, humble and honest at the same time.

That's a very big assumption, don't you think?

You don't know what T'Challa thinks...   In fact, now that thought balloons have been eliminated from the reading format, no one knows what any of the MARVEL characters think, now do we?

Victor Von Doom may seem complex and conflicted but he isn't really a difficult person to figure out.  He has a history that T'Challa is well aware of simply because Black Panther has been around the MARVEL universe for a very long time.  I just don't believe T'Challa is that naive to allow the 'dreggs of defeat' to be so apparent when it has clearly established long ago that Wakanda has such a strong, defensive measure regardless of its political strife.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 08:44:05 am »
Priests and Hudlin's BP wouldn't have made the mistake; eveyone else's BP would make that mistake.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 10:47:42 am »
Priests and Hudlin's BP wouldn't have made the mistake; eveyone else's BP would make that mistake.

Not Stan Lee or Jack Kirby! ;D

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 02:05:43 pm »

You don't know what T'Challa thinks...   In fact, now that thought balloons have been eliminated from the reading format, no one knows what any of the MARVEL characters think, now do we?

Victor Von Doom may seem complex and conflicted but he isn't really a difficult person to figure out.  He has a history that T'Challa is well aware of simply because Black Panther has been around the MARVEL universe for a very long time.  I just don't believe T'Challa is that naive to allow the 'dreggs of defeat' to be so apparent when it has clearly established long ago that Wakanda has such a strong, defensive measure regardless of its political strife.

DOOWAR is billed as a chess match.  While T'Challa may not be the supreme genius among the MU pantheon of geniuses I'd bet that he's the one that none of the others beats in chess. 

Peace,

Mont

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 03:02:28 pm »

DOOWAR is billed as a chess match.  While T'Challa may not be the supreme genius among the MU pantheon of geniuses I'd bet that he's the one that none of the others beats in chess. 

Peace,

Mont

He is,

he just now writtten as such at time for whatever reasons (with usually make lil-to no sense)

Pull List