Author Topic: HARD CHOICES: FRANKENSTEIN OR DRACULA (class movie monsters v.2)  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
HARD CHOICES: FRANKENSTEIN OR DRACULA (class movie monsters v.2)
« on: September 23, 2006, 05:11:07 pm »
And you can choose any era or medium of either character.

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
Re: HARD CHOICES: FRANKENSTEIN OR DRACULA (class movie monsters v.2)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 07:00:44 pm »

The Frankenstein monster, of which my favorite derivative is Herman Munster.

If All You Do Is What You've Done, Then All You'll Get Is What You've Got.

CIENCIANO

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 08:53:01 pm »
REGGIE i must say that i am a big fan of the two original books. DRACULA by Bram Stocker and FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelley. if i have to choose one, i would choose dracula.

i think that the movies based on those two books haven't made honor to the original books.

specially with DRACULA; coppolla just distorted all of the characters like dracula itself or dr. van helsing, he shows 'em  in a totally different manner that they are in the original books. he makes 'em look ridiculous.

i have read DRACULA by Bram Stocker 3 times  when i was 15, then 17 and a then a couple of years ago. ( the book has 500 pages more or less, and an interesting introduction written by a member of the Dracula society).

i repeat, the movies are crap compared to the original books, IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 01:39:08 pm by CIENCIANO »

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 12:20:27 am »
I love the James Wale film of Frankenstein.  :D

My favorite Dracula would have to be the anime version in Hellsing. He's completely a monster. 
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 10:22:01 am »
Dracula.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 02:47:59 am »
Young Frankestein with Gene Wilder?   ;)

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

sunjata

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 09:02:03 am »
Like them both but Frankenstein is more of a sympathetic character.  He is an abandoned child.  Love that aspect of the story.  Have to go with Frank.  Favorite version is the 1931 Frankenstein.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 10:40:25 am »
I think Dracula is far more sinister than Frankenstein.  Vampires are more appealing to me.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 09:09:19 pm »
I love the James Wale film of Frankenstein.  :D

My favorite Dracula would have to be the anime version in Hellsing. He's completely a monster. 

Alucard is a bad, bad man, but I still gotta say Alexander Anderson is my favorite from that show.

As for Frankenstein vs. Dracula, I gotta go with Dracula. Both are timeless monsters, but Dracula has more resonance with people, it seems. How often do you see Frankenstein remade or ripped off, compared to Dracula?
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

CIENCIANO

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 09:30:34 pm »
hey rollo, i recommend you to read the original novels. both from the 19th century, they are going to blow your mind.
the novels are better than all the movies.

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 09:42:43 pm »
I'm actually reading Dracula right now. I picked up a cheap copy of it about a month ago as research material (I'm a writer, I was interested in novels written in the form of personal letters). And yes, it's very good, assuming you enjoy late 19th century popular literature (and generally speaking, I do). Movies are never exactly like the books...pick up any of the old Ian Fleming James Bond novels, and prepare for a shock...the movies have nothing in common, save for the titles and maybe a few names. The same can be said for Sherlock Holmes. Most people think of him as being this sort of passive, effete detective who crawls on the ground with a magnifying glass while his fat little buddy sits around and acts amazed at everything he does. Actually, Holmes is kind of a manic-depressive guy...in the books, he tends to fall into these spells of lethargy where he just sits around, injecting himself with cocaine and not moving much, until a case drops into his lap. Watson, while extremely impressed with Holmes, isn't a slack-jawed idiot. And he's not all that fat, either. He starts out in the books emaciated and sickly looking, because he was getting over dysentery from his time in the army in Afghanistan. When Holmes remarks about his weight (several stories later), he's pointing out that Watson actually looks to be at a healthy weight now (he'd been recently married, and his wife was feeding him).

It's unrealistic to expect movies to follow a book that closely. Though I can understand people who get upset at some of the changes made when a book goes to film. I'm still a little bummed out about how Gimli was portrayed in the Lord of the Rings films...he's actually an interesting, cool character in the books, and in the film he's just a stereotypical beer loving dwarf.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 07:24:00 am »
As for Frankenstein vs. Dracula, I gotta go with Dracula. Both are timeless monsters, but Dracula has more resonance with people, it seems. How often do you see Frankenstein remade or ripped off, compared to Dracula?

A couple of riffs on that theme:
Frankenstein seems to be about humankind's chutzpah and fear of technology.
Dracula seems to be about humankind's internal struggle with evil including its seductiveness.  After all, the real horror from vampires is being converted, not just death.  The latter seems like a richer theme to me.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 06:13:56 am »
Dracula seems to be about humankind's internal struggle with evil including its seductiveness.  After all, the real horror from vampires is being converted, not just death.  The latter seems like a richer theme to me.
Dracula was also written at a time when there was a lot of worry about immigration - you know, foreigners coming over here, and 'infecting' us with their alien ways. It's like Britain and the US vs. Eastern Europe (where the immigration was coming from at the time).

In terms of design, movie Frankenstein, with the square head and neck-bolts is a classic. Dracula, the novel, is rather a post-modern book, entirely told in journal entries, official records and newspaper articles, rather than narrated directly.

Of the 2, all in all, Dracula is scarier, but I think The Monster is more complex.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

CIENCIANO

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 08:22:00 am »
Dracula, the novel, is rather a post-modern book, entirely told in journal entries, official records and newspaper articles, rather than narrated directly.

i think it's a classic book rather than a post-modern book. remember the book was written in the 19th century, while the post-modernism is a movement starting from 1960.
but i comprehend what you are trying to say. the structure of the book was very original.