Author Topic: IN HOLLYWOOD, GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY. OR BEAUTIFUL by Stanley Crouch  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
Re: IN HOLLYWOOD, GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY. OR BEAUTIFUL by Stanley Crouch
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 04:58:18 pm »
It is not the same game for everybody. It would be nice it if was ONLY money that determines who gets to make a movie but, in fact, race and gender to play a LARGE, sometimes overarching role.

Tyler Perry's model is essentially the same as Woody Allen's and his return ratio is roughly the same as well.

Speaking as the veteran of scores of meetings in which an otherwise attractive project was shot down for not being "URBAN" enough (even though it was awesome enough to bring me in to meet senior execs). "Urban" doesn't just mean "black." It is a synonym for niggerish.

So those folks who write "the black" ET or the "the black" Mission:Impossible have to pray that Will Smith will give them the nod because pretty much nobody else will get that movie made. And the same can be said for "the black" WHen Harry Met Sally. White films are mainstream. Non-white films have to be "finessed." LOL.

Finessed.

BOOMERANG should have been the WHEN HARRY MET SALLY of "black" Rom Coms. Instead it's like a monument to what could have been and never was.

I agree with Crouch on the whole. There is no way in sixteen hells I would drop a cent on PRECIOUS or the book that spawned it. I'm not interested in re-enforcing the nigger image, even passively.

Had enough of that when I was in short pants.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: IN HOLLYWOOD, GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY. OR BEAUTIFUL by Stanley Crouch
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 07:03:12 am »

BOOMERANG should have been the WHEN HARRY MET SALLY of "black" Rom Coms. Instead it's like a monument to what could have been and never was.

Agreed.

Boomerang was Mr. Hudlin's best work by far.  You could spin at least 5 more movie/tv projects from that one movie.

At the least.