Author Topic: There's an App for That!  (Read 9348 times)

Online Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
There's an App for That!
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:35:53 am »
OK, you smart phone users, what's useful, fun, or just cool? Hook your fellow Heffas up.
Bonus point for free.

Two of my favorites so far:

Dragon Dictation - speak it then send it as an email or text or copy/paste it wherever you want. I was shocked at how well it worked out of the gate; no training sequence needed.

Evernote - Text, image, voice notes can be annotated, tagged and automatically synchronized to your desktop. There's a Firefox plug-in that lets you save stuff from websites kind of like Google Notebook.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
Re: There's an App for That!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:30:27 pm »
ESPN ScoreCenter - If you're a sports-a-holic like me, it gives you scores and info by the second and you can customize it to your favorite sports teams, college or pro.

3G Unrestrictor - Allows you to use your broadband connection to download anything you want without a wifi connection.  great if you have to get something big on the iphone and don't have access to wifi.

Shazam/Midomi - Hum the song and it'll find the title.

Text+ - Free text messaging!!

Google - Search Google by voice

IP Calc - IP Address and subnet calculator...invaluable in my line of business...goodbye having to manually do binary math!  ;D

Pandora - Don't want to bog down the phone with MP3s...just use Pandora like you would online.

Online Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 03:05:25 pm »
ESPN ScoreCenter - If you're a sports-a-holic like me, it gives you scores and info by the second and you can customize it to your favorite sports teams, college or pro.

3G Unrestrictor - Allows you to use your broadband connection to download anything you want without a wifi connection.  great if you have to get something big on the iphone and don't have access to wifi.

IP Calc - IP Address and subnet calculator...invaluable in my line of business...goodbye having to manually do binary math!  ;D

Pandora - Don't want to bog down the phone with MP3s...just use Pandora like you would online.

Yeah, I like ESPN Score Center and Google also. I installed Pandora and haven't really used it yet.

But tell me about this Text+. Does that mean I could cancel the AT&T $20/month text messaging? (Please say yes.)

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 03:24:00 pm »
comixology. You can get your pull list on your phone up to a week in advance. Word...

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:45:31 pm »

Yeah, I like ESPN Score Center and Google also. I installed Pandora and haven't really used it yet.

But tell me about this Text+. Does that mean I could cancel the AT&T $20/month text messaging? (Please say yes.)

Not quite...right now I think it only works Iphone to Iphone.  A friend at work has another one that he says is unlimited and free...I've meant to get the name from him.  I'll check with him tomorrow.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:08:49 am »
Have like 9 pages of apps, the fave so far has to be Pandora.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 11:48:45 am »
Pandora

sprint navigation and live search are in the box aps that are great

pda net. If you have vision or data enabled on your phone you can tether your phone to your lap top for internet access if you are not by a wifi hot spot.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 02:58:47 am »
My latest addiction is Field Goal.  I find myself kickin footballs and loosin track of time.  Nice for when you need/want to pass the time.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Online Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:41:03 pm »
My new recommendation is MyWi:

It turns your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot so you can use your 3G data connection for your laptop. And share it with others if you want.  It's $9.99 but since it takes the place of a wireless internet service for your laptop, it's a bargain. It at least lets you leverage the $30/month you pay AT&T for wireless data service.

It's on Rock Your Phone so you have to jailbreak to get it. It works great for me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:43:39 pm by Curtis Metcalf »

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:30:34 pm »
I updated and lost my jailbreak on my 3g. All good. I will wait for the new one with the ipad. I just paid for the must have apps like the video camera etc.

Online Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 07:20:47 am »
So the update to 3.1.3 undid your jailbreak?
I've been avoiding the update because I wasn't sure what the effect would be. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:28:55 am »
Great find, Curtis!  I'm loving the MyWi.  I got the non-Rock version and it works like a charm.  I like how it keeps a counter of how much data you have going up and downstream. 

Online Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:27:49 pm »
Great find, Curtis!  I'm loving the MyWi.  I got the non-Rock version and it works like a charm.  I like how it keeps a counter of how much data you have going up and downstream. 
It's kind of sweet, isn't it? I provided Internet connectivity to a meeting with 5 or 6 laptops sharing the connection. It's 3G speed but for email and normal browsing, it's fine.

Where'd you get the non-Rock version though?

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:08:54 pm »
It's kind of sweet, isn't it? I provided Internet connectivity to a meeting with 5 or 6 laptops sharing the connection. It's 3G speed but for email and normal browsing, it's fine.

Where'd you get the non-Rock version though?

I got it through Cydia and Appsidy.  Still $9.95 and I didn't have to reinstall Rock.  I only kept Cydia installed from my jailbreak.   I showed MyWi to some guys at work now all of them are carrying around pocket access points.   ;D

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 06:51:20 am »
I updated and lost my jailbreak on my 3g. All good. I will wait for the new one with the ipad.

Are you actually planning to get the iPad?