Author Topic: There's an App for That!  (Read 9344 times)

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
Re: There's an App for That!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 07:48:23 am »
I updated and lost my jailbreak on my 3g. All good. I will wait for the new one with the ipad.

Are you actually planning to get the iPad?

I'm considering the iPad, too.  Especially now with Curtis' find of the MyWi app.  That way, I only need the WiFi version of the iPad and can wirelessly tether it to the iPhone.  It bothers me that there's no USB ports on the thing, though.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 10:32:08 am »
I updated and lost my jailbreak on my 3g. All good. I will wait for the new one with the ipad.

Are you actually planning to get the iPad?

I'm considering the iPad, too.  Especially now with Curtis' find of the MyWi app.  That way, I only need the WiFi version of the iPad and can wirelessly tether it to the iPhone.  It bothers me that there's no USB ports on the thing, though.

I only ask, because I had been planning to get a ModBook but some of the Tech folks at work said to hold off and wait until Apple releases their Tablet. I waited, only thing, it's not quite a tablet, at least not the kind I need to use for the things I want to do(run Mac OS/ software like Photoshop,Illustrator, 3D programs, etc). Maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation iPad will be what I need.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 02:37:40 am »
I read where all of those programs will be reworked so that they can be on the ipad.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 06:35:13 am »
All of these netbooks and the iPad are missing the one thing I need for my job.  A serial port!  I know USB and firewire are the standards now, but I can't console into my switches and routers without the serial port.  The USB to Serial cables are totally unreliable (at least the ones I've used) and I don't think the netbooks have PCMCIA slots on them.  I'll probably get the iPad anyway...but after a jailbreak is out.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 11:32:02 pm »
Line2...crazy ish.

For a little $1 iPhone app, Line2 sure has the potential to shake up an entire industry.

It can save you money. It can make calls where AT&T's (T) signal is weak, like indoors. It can turn an iPod Touch into a full-blown cellphone.

And it can ruin the sleep of cellphone executives everywhere.

Line2 gives your iPhone a second phone number -- a second phone line, complete with its own contacts list, voice mail, and so on. The company behind it, Toktumi (get it?), imagines that you'll distribute the Line2 number to business contacts, and your regular iPhone number to friends and family. Your second line can be an 800 number, if you wish, or you can transfer an existing number.

To that end, Toktumi offers, on its Web site, a raft of Google (GOOG) Voice-ish features that are intended to help a small businesses look bigger: call screening, Do Not Disturb hours and voice mail messages sent to you as e-mail. You can create an "automated attendant" -- "Press 1 for sales," "Press 2 for accounting," and so on -- that routes incoming calls to other phone numbers. Or, if you're pretending to be a bigger business than you are, route them all to yourself.

The Line2 app is a carbon copy, a visual clone, of the iPhone's own phone software. The dialing pad, your iPhone Contacts list, your recent calls list and visual voice mail all look just like the iPhone's.

(Let's pause for a moment here to blink, dumbfounded, at that point. Apple's (AAPL) rules prohibit App Store programs that look or work too much like the iPhone's own built-in apps. For example, Apple rejected the Google Voice app because, as Apple explained to the Federal Communications Commission, it works "by replacing the iPhone's core mobile telephone functionality and Apple user interface with its own user interface for telephone calls." That is exactly what Line2 does. Oh well -- the Jobs works in mysterious ways.)

So you have a second line on your iPhone. But that's not the best part.

Line2 also turns the iPhone into a dual-mode phone. That is, it can make and receive calls either using either the AT&T airwaves as usual, or -- now this is the best part -- over the Internet. Any time you're in a wireless hot spot, Line2 places its calls over Wi-Fi instead of AT&T's network.

That's a game-changer. Where, after all, is cellphone reception generally the worst? Right -- indoors. In your house or your office building, precisely where you have Wi-Fi. Line2 in Wi-Fi means rock-solid, confident reception indoors.

Line2 also runs on the iPod Touch. When you're in a Wi-Fi hot spot, your Touch is now a full-blown cellphone, and you don't owe AT&T a penny.

But wait, there's more.

Turns out Wi-Fi calls don't use up any AT&T minutes. You can talk all day long, without ever worrying about going over your monthly allotment of minutes. Wi-Fi calls are free forever.

Well, not quite free; Line2 service costs $15 a month (after a 30-day free trial).

But here's one of those cases where spending more could save you money. If you're in a Wi-Fi hot spot most of the time (at work, for example), that's an awful lot of calling you can do in Wi-Fi -- probably enough to downgrade your AT&T plan to one that gives you fewer minutes. If you're on the 900-minute or unlimited plan ($90 or $100 a month), for example, you might be able to get away with the 450-minute plan ($70). Even with Line2's fee, you're saving $5 or $15 a month.

Line2 also lets you call overseas phone numbers for Skype-like rates: 2 to 5 cents a minute to most countries. (A full table of rates is available at toktumi.com.) As a handy globetrotters' bonus, calls home to numbers in the United States from overseas hot spots are free.

All of these benefits come to you when you're in a Wi-Fi hot spot, because your calls are carried by the Internet instead of by AT&T. Interestingly enough, though, Line2 can also make Internet calls even when you're not in a hot spot.

It can, at your option, place calls over AT&T's 3G data network, where it's available. Every iPhone plan includes unlimited use of this 3G network -- it's how your iPhone sends e-mail and surfs the Web. So once again, Line2 calls don't use up any of your monthly voice minutes.

Unfortunately, voice connections on the 3G network aren't as strong and reliable as the voice or Wi-Fi methods. Cellular data networks aren't made for seamless handoffs from cell tower to tower as you drive, for example -- there's not much need for it if you're just doing e-mail and Web -- so dropped calls are more likely. Fortunately, if you're on a 3G data-network call and you walk into a hot spot, Line2 switches to the more reliable Wi-Fi network seamlessly, in midcall.

Whenever you do have an Internet connection -- either Wi-Fi or a strong 3G area -- you're in for a startling treat. If you and your calling partner are both Line2 subscribers, Line2 kicks you into superhigh audio-quality mode (16-bit mode, as the techies call it).

Your calling partners sound as if they're speaking right into the mike at an FM radio station. It's almost too clear; you hear the other person's breathing, lip smacks, clothing rustling and so on. After years of suffering through awful cellphone audio, it's quite a revelation to hear what you've been missing.

Now, this all sounds wonderful, and Line2 generally is wonderful. But there's room for improvement.

First, as you've no doubt already concluded, understanding Line2 is complicated. You have three different ways to make calls, each with pros and cons.

You miss a certain degree of refinement, too. The dialing pad doesn't make touch-tone sounds as you tap the keys. There's no Favorites list within the Line2 app. You can't get or send text messages on your Line2 line. (The company says it will fix all this soon.)

There's a faint hiss on Line2 calls, as if you're on a long-distance call in 1970. The company says that it deliberately introduces this "comfort noise" to reassure you that you're still connected, but it's unnecessary. And sometimes there's a voice delay of a half-second or so (of course, you sometimes get that on regular cellphone calls, too).

Finally, a note about incoming calls. If the Line2 app is open at the time, you're connected via Wi-Fi, if available. If it's not running, the call comes in through AT&T, so you lose the benefits of Wi-Fi calling. In short, until Apple blesses the iPhone with multitasking software, you have to leave Line2 open whenever you put the phone to sleep. That's awkward.

Still, Line2 is the first app that can receive incoming calls via either Wi-Fi or cellular voice, so you get the call even if the app isn't running. That's one of several advantages that distinguish it from other voice-over-Internet apps like Skype and TruPhone.

Another example: If you're on a Wi-Fi call using those other programs, and someone calls your regular iPhone number, your first call is unceremoniously disconnected. Line2, on the other hand, offers you the chance to decline the incoming call without losing your Wi-Fi call.

Those rival apps also lack Line2's call-management features, visual voice mail and conference calling with up to 20 other people. And Line2 is the only app that gives you a choice of call methods for incoming and outgoing calls.

All of this should rattle cell industry executives, because let's face it: the Internet tends to make things free. Cell carriers go through life hoping nobody notices the cellephant in the room: that once everybody starts making free calls over the Internet, it's Game Over for the dollars-for-minutes model.

Line2, however, brings us one big step closer to that very future. It's going to be a wild ride.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 07:55:05 am »
Line2 sounds interesting...a game changer indeed!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 07:45:23 am »
A reported 8,500 apps for this device!

New iPhone 4 Available June 24th
Let's see...   H...   ...E... ...F...    ...ah, my iPhone is FLY!

San Francisco, Ca - According to USA TODAY, Steve Jobs unveiled his latest iPhone device Monday at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference which boast more features, more apps and something new called iMovie Software that does video editing on the fly.

Would you like to know more?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2010-06-08-apple08_CV_N.htm
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:21:46 am by Battle »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 08:32:22 am »
The funny part was when he couldn't get the internet to work and someone shouted "switch to Verizon"! LOL  The new phone is pretty fly, two cameras...one in the front for teleconferencing, steel band antenna, 4X the resolution of the current phone, multi-tasking, and it's thinner than the current iPhone.  The biggest and best difference is the pricing point.  $199, with a two year contract, I'm sure.  I'm reluctant to change phones though, I'd lose my unlimited data service.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 12:55:46 pm »
The funny part was when he couldn't get the internet to work and someone shouted "switch to Verizon"! LOL  The new phone is pretty fly, two cameras...one in the front for teleconferencing, steel band antenna, 4X the resolution of the current phone, multi-tasking, and it's thinner than the current iPhone.  The biggest and best difference is the pricing point.  $199, with a two year contract, I'm sure.  I'm reluctant to change phones though, I'd lose my unlimited data service.

If you currently have unlimited data service its yours for life. It's the newbies that can't get it.  I have been waiting for the phone with baited breath. Although I'm sure someone going to try to talk me outof it. :-\

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:15 pm »

If you currently have unlimited data service its yours for life. It's the newbies that can't get it.  I have been waiting for the phone with baited breath. Although I'm sure someone going to try to talk me outof it. :-\

Cool...I'm definitely going to take a long look at getting this one.  I don't know who I'll teleconference with, but it'll be cool to have it available!  ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 01:42:31 pm »
The funny part was when he couldn't get the internet to work and someone shouted "switch to Verizon"!

Wait a minute...

Apple `stunned' to find new iPhones overstate signal strength

Accuracy?   ...or Gimmicky?

NEW YORK (AP) -- Apple Inc. said Friday that it was "stunned" to find that its iPhones have for years been using a "totally wrong" formula to determine how many bars of signal strength they are getting.

Apple said that's the reason behind widespread complaints from users that the latest model, iPhone 4, can show a sudden plunge in signal strength when they hold it in a way that covers a small black strip on one edge of the phone. Users have jokingly called this the "death grip" for the phone.

That drop seems exaggerated because the phone can wrongly display four or five bars of signal strength when it shouldn't, Apple said.

"Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place," the company said in a statement to users.

Yet the statement that the bar display is "totally wrong" is surprising, since there is no standard formula in the industry for translating signal strength to bars.

The company said it will fix the formula to one recommended by AT&T Inc. through a free software update within a few weeks for the most recent iPhone models, 3G, 3GS and 4. However, the "wrong" formula goes back as far as the original iPhone, launched in 2007.

AT&T, the iPhone's exclusive carrier in the U.S., has borne much of the users' blame for dropped calls and poor wireless performance. In saying that the phones have been showing too many bars, Apple is putting the spotlight on the network's performance. AT&T declined comment Friday.

If the phones haven't been giving a good indication of signal strength, users may have been missing clues that they should go to a location with a better signal to place a call, or that they're holding the phone wrong.

Apple apologized to customers "for any anxiety we may have caused."

"We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see," the company said in the statement.

Apple launched the iPhone 4 on June 24 in the U.S. and four other countries, and users began complaining on Apple's customer support website within hours.

Some outside engineers and users have blamed the iPhone 4's apparent reception problems on the novel design that incorporates its antenna into the case. But the company said that any phone will show reduced reception if held in a way that covers the antenna, usually mounted at the rear and bottom of a phone. It maintains that iPhone 4's wireless performance is better than previous models.

Spencer Webb, president of antenna design company AntennaSys Inc., found in cursory testing that switching to the "death grip" took an iPhone 4 from five bars to one. But that didn't interrupt a call in progress.

Dropped calls are what really rile users, he said, not the bars. In the U.S., AT&T has embarked on a multibillion dollar program to upgrade its network capacity, particularly in New York and San Francisco, where the iPhone is extra popular.

"I don't think they're solving a problem, if there is one," he said.

He said it was too early to conclude that the antenna design is faulty, given that the phone has been out only for a week.

At the same time, Apple could have defused the situation by including a simple card in the iPhone's packaging, showing how best to hold it, Webb said.

Despite recurring complaints about dropped calls and slow data service, particularly in the U.S., the iPhone is a standout success, with each model selling faster than the previous one. Apple said it sold 1.7 million iPhone 4s in its first three days, essentially running out of stock.

Shares of Apple, which is based in Cupertino, Calif., fell $2.94, or 1.2 percent, to $245.54 in afternoon trading Friday. Dallas-based AT&T lost 14 cents, or 0.6 percent, to $24.20.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-stunned-to-find-iPhones-apf-1175483258.html?x=0
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:28:49 am by Battle »

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 05:32:21 am »
Hey if any one is interested I have an extra serial code for pda net for the iphone. Your phone or ipad has to be jailbroken but this is a great way to tether and get on the internet. It retails for like 25 bucks but I will let it go for less.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 06:16:37 am »
 Whaaa-a-a-a...?
LMD*?
I sometimes do not know what to say, but every day I make progress.

Bristol,  Vermont - For you multi-millionaires out there who ever wanted a friendly robot of your own, $125,000.00 can buy you a robotic likeness of whomever you want.  That's what Martine Rothblatt did with his wife, Bina, who became Bina48, America's latest humanoid.

The article I linked to is written by Amy Harmon but I found the read interesting as she desperately tries to break the will of the A.I. programmed into Bina48,  
---or is she really trying to upstage an African American humanoid? :-\

Would you like to know more?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/science/05robotside.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=life-like%20robots&st=cse

*Life Model Decoy
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:20:48 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 09:43:24 am »
Here's an interesting iPhone app for you Ol' Schoolers out there:

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander