Author Topic: Doctor Who End of Time Special  (Read 2031 times)

Offline masigl4179

• View Profile
Doctor Who End of Time Special
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:00:23 pm »
Hey did anyone see David Tennant's last appearance as Doctor Who? What did you think about the episode?

Offline James72

• View Profile
Re: Doctor Who End of Time Special
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:28:39 am »
I saw it. Really good. I'm never disappointed with Dr. Who. (Although I am a newbie to it)

I came on with the Martha Jones arc and have been trying to catch everything else in parts.  Just got the boxed set for the season that introduced Martha as well.

One of the good things about the series, is that it has "grandeur". 

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:28:11 am »
What is it so appealing about this show? It's like the cheesiest lowiest budget show ever ???

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »
What is it so appealing about this show?

- Princesa

I am relatively new to Dr. Who, so I may not be the best to answer this, but the appeal of the show for me, is that it is timeless in it's appeal, the stories, the imaginative adventures and the various personalities on the show. 

The special effects, which may be seemed as crude and not polished are very effective.  The show is not afraid to take chances and allows the audience, as well as the audience must be open minded enough, to allow for suspension of disbelief.  I actually enjoy the effects but more than that, it is the story that is the driving force.

The show's debut was in 1963 and is one of the longest running shows on TV. In that, the cast is always changing and the audience is always introduced to knew companions who share adventures with The Doctor.  Like wise the actor playing The Doctor, changes as well. I believe it is currently 11 actors that has taken on the role.  The rotation is explained that onnce The Doctor, who is an humanoid alien with the ability to travel through time and space, is critically injured, he regenerates into a new form.

Appealing too because, it is viewed as a passing/death of sorts wit the new Doctor having his own distinct personality.

I don't know if I answered your question but if you could  find a way to watch some episode, you might enjoy it.  One of my favorites is an episode called
"Blink".  Here is a link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MogCPRxlg&feature=related

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:24:10 pm »
Saw it and really liked it. The second part was much better than the first, all the way up to Tennant's final line, which was gut-wrenching. It's the first time I've seen the regeneration treated as something the Tomelord would dread, and feel as a 'death'. The reveal of who it was knocking was brilliantly done, providing a good counterpoint to the end of Waters of Mars - the Doctor sacrificing himself for a small, unimportant old man, compared to him placing himself above 'little people' and time itself, and the consequences of those choices.

It was brilliantly acted, and the writing and direction was tighter than previous finales. The amping up of the scale, from the 'Master Race' to the return of the Time War was great, and I loved that the Time Lords were a threat, not some heavenly host here to save the day. The reveal that the Doctor made an active choice to destroy his own people, rather than it being an unavoidable consequence of ending the war was pretty massive - further explaining the guilt and pain that 9/Ecclestone showed so often.

@ Princesa - Who is an institution in the UK, and is a pretty quintessentially British show, combining so many seemingly contradictory qualities - exploration, rebelliousness, a father-figure, human drama and grand cosmic-scale drama. The special effects have traditionally never been great, but again, have been the source of great invention (in the 60s, it was one of the first shows with an 'electronic' theme tune, using instruments improvised by a rather genius woman in the BBC sound department). It has many of the same themes of Star Trek or Star Wars, but instead of a Federation, or Rebellion against an Empire, it's this one guy pottering about time and space in an obselete time machine that he nicked from his home planet, often with the company of some random human (and they've included teachers, journalists, air hostesses and shop girls), armed with a high tech screwdriver and maybe a robot dog.

At its worst, it's cheesy, at its best its a unique view on, well, everything.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:29:40 pm »
Oh, and James72, there's full episodes of classic Who on Youtube - I think non-UK viewers have to sit through an ad before each episode, but have a look.

Also, yes, Matt Smith will be the 11th Doctor, and he can only pull that trick two more times.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:24:59 pm »
Thanks for the link Wise Son.  I appreciate it!

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »
I finally saw it;  a fitting end--- liked the last half hour of good-byes best. 

His last line "I don't want to go"; echoed my thougt--i don't want him to go.

The new guy has some very big shoes to fill.