Author Topic: "Light skinned" and "no dialect" by David Evans  (Read 5358 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
"Light skinned" and "no dialect" by David Evans
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:24:43 pm »
When we thought we had buried such offensive terms as mulatto, quadroon and octoroon and the skin-hue bigotry that spawned them, here comes the senior senator from Nevada.  In holding “light skin” and the absence of a “Negro dialect” as necessary qualifications for Senator Barack Obama to run successfully for president in 2008, Senator Harry Reid of Nevada offered up a rank insult to his colleague from Illinois.  Senator Reid has rightly apologized to President Obama, but doesn’t seem to have contemplated how hurtful his words might be to those millions of African Americans who are not “light-skinned.”  One wonders if he had seen the First Lady and her mother at the time of his remarks.

Incidentally, if an ethnic or regional “dialect” disqualifies a citizen from running for our country’s highest political office, then Presidents Lyndon Johnson and Jimmy Carter were monumental frauds.  What about the late Senator Strom Thurmond from South Carolina who ran as a independent candidate for president in 1948?  His Southern accent/dialect was so deep that it was, at times, almost indecipherable.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: "Light skinned" and "no dialect" by David Evans
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:11:58 pm »
I don't see anything to apologize for here.

Reid's comments were merely a cogent assesment of racial attitudes in America and what attributes a Black candidate would need to overcome them.

This notion of a post-racial America were supposedly none of the factors Reid mentions no longer exist is more insulting than any of his commentary.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:51:05 am »
I know people here don't like Michael Steele but he is 100% correct in saying that if a Republican said that, The Democrats would be raising hell and calling for him to step down from his leadership position.  

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:55:45 am »
Was he denunciating or was he supporting that notion?? That makes a whole lot of difference.
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:08:49 am »
I don't see anything to apologize for here.

Reid's comments were merely a cogent assesment of racial attitudes in America and what attributes a Black candidate would need to overcome them.

This notion of a post-racial America were supposedly none of the factors Reid mentions no longer exist is more insulting than any of his commentary.

I agree.

Again, the republican party offers no political solutions to America's problems even while they are in limbo. These are issues that the republican party aren't even really concerned with nor thier constituents.
Instead,  republican pundits have resorted to pointless discussions from older newsfeeds to get a reaction from the opposite party.

As for Mr. Steele...

I know people here don't like Michael Steele but he is 100% correct in saying that if a Republican said that, The Democrats would be raising hell and calling for him to step down from his leadership position.

I don't think anyone has invested any personal feelings for Mr. Steele; it's his positioning in politics that annoy people.
In this day and age, yes, I do agree that if a republican politician had made the remarks similar to Mr. Reid's people would be calling for his resignation.  No big surprise there.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 03:20:54 pm »
I think Reid's use of language is telling, but his political analysis is correct. Early in the 2008 campaign, much was made about Obama's 'exotic' background and recollections from white colleagues about how comfortable and at ease Obama is around them, and them around him. While a lot of Americans white and black have been patting themselves on the back over the last year and marveling about how race has been overcome, the dirty not so little secret is that Obama had to derace himself as much as possible to get elected. And he's continued that policy since he was elected. The one time he sort of veered away from that with the Gates thing, many white liberals and conservatives slammed him and Obama had to concoct that 'beer summit'. Obama can only comfortably talk about race when he is taking black people to task about something or in declaring that he will not do something specifically for the black community (whether that's right or wrong to ask of him). But he can do no more than empty symbolism at best in regards to racial redress, which fits a lot of white and black folks just fine. IMO, a lot of black folks are willing to accept the illusion of inclusion at all cost, even at the expense of asserting themselves it seems, unlike most of the rest of Obama's coalition.

What I think is most interesting is not what Reid said but how black Democrats are rallying to his defense. Even though Michael Steele has shady motives, he makes a good point. If this had been Mitch McConnell, many black Democrats would've been raising holy hell. I think another damning statement was the one allegedly made by Bill Clinton to Ted Kennedy about Obama. Clinton reportedly told Kennedy something to the effect that Obama would've been serving us coffee a few years ago. Coupled with his outbursts from the campaign last year, if true I hope this puts to bed the idea of Clinton being a 'black' president or a racial healer or visionary, because he was none of those things.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:23:57 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:34:42 am »
So, let me get this right.  Newt has to step down, but Harry doesn't...  What effing universe is this? Somebody tell me, because I want to warp back to the one that makes sense.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 04:34:04 pm »
So, let me get this right.  Newt has to step down, but Harry doesn't...  What effing universe is this? Somebody tell me, because I want to warp back to the one that makes sense.

Newt stepped down for totally different reasons. I think you're talking about Trent Lott. I think many Reid backers make a good point about Reid's record versus Lott's record. Lott's record made him more suspect to the charge of racism and his denials more skeptical. Also, watching some of the political pundits, I'm wondering if there weren't other things the GOP wanted to get Lott on and saw this gaffe as a good way to appear tolerant and take him out. I also question the GOP's fierce condemnation of Reid now. They don't care about African-American sensibilities, this is primarily a tactic to rattle Reid and stop the Democratic legislative agenda. That's why I think it will fail. However, I think Reid is in election trouble back home, this gaffe doesn't help, but its not what's going to probably get him retired in November. I don't think Reid should step down, but I would like to hear what he thinks is "Negro" dialect. Stuff like this just shows how very white and removed the Democratic party elite and shot callers are from their black political base.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:35:30 pm »

Sen. Reid was one of President Obama's earliest and most ardent supporters. His analysis of the reality of race and Obama's ability to win given its presence was accurate, respectful and prescient. The only possible point of contention is the use of the word Negro; which I find to be ludicrous coming from a party with the history of the GOP.

Compare that to the great moments in racial unity presented by the GOP when the good ol days of segregation was wished back to reality in the spirit of Strom Thurmond. How about the COINCIDENCE of the first Black RNC being a puppet as he signed away nearly every aspect of power associated with the position since its inception.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »
Reid was screwed before these comments came out and he is still screwed now.  The Majority Leader is going to be out of a job come November.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:31:22 am »

Newt stepped down for totally different reasons. I think you're talking about Trent Lott. I think many Reid backers make a good point about Reid's record versus Lott's record. Lott's record made him more suspect to the charge of racism and his denials more skeptical. Also, watching some of the political pundits, I'm wondering if there weren't other things the GOP wanted to get Lott on and saw this gaffe as a good way to appear tolerant and take him out. I also question the GOP's fierce condemnation of Reid now. They don't care about African-American sensibilities, this is primarily a tactic to rattle Reid and stop the Democratic legislative agenda. That's why I think it will fail. However, I think Reid is in election trouble back home, this gaffe doesn't help, but its not what's going to probably get him retired in November. I don't think Reid should step down, but I would like to hear what he thinks is "Negro" dialect. Stuff like this just shows how very white and removed the Democratic party elite and shot callers are from their black political base.

thanks for the correction.. my bad - GOP all look the same to me.. 

You make a good point about Lott being on the way out with his GOP base at the time of his departure as well.  I just can't believe the response from Black Dems regarding Reid's comments.. in that case, nobody should give a damn what Clinton said on the campaign trail, since it was, y'know.. basically true, right? 

I think that's the hypocrisy(sp) that people (including some conservatives) may have a problem with...

Where's Mike?  Something must be wrong if he hasn't chimed in yet....  :-\