Author Topic: All Hail Serena Williams!  (Read 7894 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: All Hail Serena Williams!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 07:14:13 am »
I'm sick of hearing how bad Serena is for women's tennis, and how the fact that she can keep winning at 31 means that the other women aren't very good. How long did Martina HATERtilova play tennis? Pontius Pilate was her first doubles partner, and nobody said a damn thing.

It kills me to say anything nice about Sharapova, but she's...fine. Saying that Sharapova is no good is like saying Scottie Pippin is no good while you're comparing him to Michael Jordan. The other women on the WTA are professional tennis players making more money than I'll ever see in my life. It's just that Serena is in a different class of tennis, and she came from a stronger tennis era. Graf and Seles were still playing, and then they had Capriati, Davenport, Hingis, Henin, Clijsters...I mean, the late 90s and early 00s was DEEP with talent. Anybody who played at that time was no scrub. Maria, on the other hand, came up with such tennis immortals as Safina, Wozniacki, Ivanovic, and Jankovic.

As for Venus, the fact that her disease was misdiagnosed for years and years will go down as one of the greatest tragedies in women's tennis (second only to Seles being stabbed in her prime). I have no doubt whatsoever that V&S would be #1 and #2 right now if it wasn't for all of those bogus doctors.
This post is three for three.

I just have one question: why is it so many folks, especially women, can't stand Sharapova? My wife and mother-in-law (among many others) just hate on her. I think Maxine Shaw is dead on; she's the best of the rest in a fairly weak field. But none of that is her fault. Her game is limited but she goes hard with what she's got. All in all, she's having a pretty good career. So what's not to like?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 12:07:17 pm »
I'm sick of hearing how bad Serena is for women's tennis, and how the fact that she can keep winning at 31 means that the other women aren't very good. How long did Martina HATERtilova play tennis? Pontius Pilate was her first doubles partner, and nobody said a damn thing.

It kills me to say anything nice about Sharapova, but she's...fine. Saying that Sharapova is no good is like saying Scottie Pippin is no good while you're comparing him to Michael Jordan. The other women on the WTA are professional tennis players making more money than I'll ever see in my life. It's just that Serena is in a different class of tennis, and she came from a stronger tennis era. Graf and Seles were still playing, and then they had Capriati, Davenport, Hingis, Henin, Clijsters...I mean, the late 90s and early 00s was DEEP with talent. Anybody who played at that time was no scrub. Maria, on the other hand, came up with such tennis immortals as Safina, Wozniacki, Ivanovic, and Jankovic.

As for Venus, the fact that her disease was misdiagnosed for years and years will go down as one of the greatest tragedies in women's tennis (second only to Seles being stabbed in her prime). I have no doubt whatsoever that V&S would be #1 and #2 right now if it wasn't for all of those bogus doctors.
This post is three for three.

I just have one question: why is it so many folks, especially women, can't stand Sharapova? My wife and mother-in-law (among many others) just hate on her. I think Maxine Shaw is dead on; she's the best of the rest in a fairly weak field. But none of that is her fault. Her game is limited but she goes hard with what she's got. All in all, she's having a pretty good career. So what's not to like?

I was wondering the same thing. My homegurls who follow sport DESPISE Sharapova...and I'm clueless about the origin of such intense sentiment. Maxine...will you help ya bruthas out please?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 08:42:43 am »
What I like about Serena is she doesn't at all play the "good sport" thing. She is a cut throat in the Kobe or Brady or Jordan mood and she isn't there to congratulate you and smile and shake your hand. If she doesn't win it isn't a happy time and if she does win she will dance over your body.

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 08:49:16 am »
I just have one question: why is it so many folks, especially women, can't stand Sharapova?

Are you serious with this bullsh*t? REALLY? How about the fact that her endorsement money is 7-1 over a woman who LITERALLY has four times as many Grand Slams as she does?
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:00 am »
I just have one question: why is it so many folks, especially women, can't stand Sharapova?

Are you serious with this bullsh*t? REALLY? How about the fact that her endorsement money is 7-1 over a woman who LITERALLY has four times as many Grand Slams as she does?

Not only did I not know that, I am ashamed to admit...I'm not remotely surprised. Even worse? I'm so used to such disparities, that I hardly blinked at this revelation.

Thank you, Maxine Shaw. I feel my sistahs now.

Listen, last night? I got into a discussion about how so many fans think that people like Venus and Serena, Carl Lewis and Anderson Silva, Floyd Mayweather and Ashton Eaton [ the greatest athlete in the world, and Decathlon World Record holder...at age 26 ] etc etc etc are perceived as athletes lacking intellectual acumen.

The discussion got especially heated when we turned to Serena and Black NFL quarterbacks.

I pointed out that, by definition, athletic TALENT is something that we are born with...something that God gives us. Athletic SKILL is the result of working such talent intelligently, intensely, relentlessly. The result is athletic SKILL which means that these athletes choose to make the right decision with the right skill set at the right time in order to achieve the right result...over and over again. Against talented, skilled, experienced resistance. I point out that in athletes we also see a very high commingling of some overlooked expressions of literal intelligence: Bodily Kinesthetic Intelligence. In team sports? The team leader has to motivate people too...that's Interpersonal Intelligence. Memorizing plays, being able to perceive and apply strategies in 3-D [ inclusive of Serena Williams perception on the court ] could be seen as Spatial Intelligence...

...and every single one of the people who were hating on these athletes' intelligence and the uniqueness of their beings were like: "What?"

Yeah. Intelligence ain't just a school thang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 09:57:30 am »
To be fair, the most recent Forbes list shows that Serena makes half the money in endorsements as Maria does. So Serena has moved way up in that regards. Maria is #22 on the sports list; Serena is #68. So never again ask why women - especially black women - can't stand Maria's ass.
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 10:44:14 am »
To be fair, the most recent Forbes list shows that Serena makes half the money in endorsements as Maria does. So Serena has moved way up in that regards. Maria is #22 on the sports list; Serena is #68. So never again ask why women - especially black women - can't stand Maria's ass.

Okay, btw? I love "attorney at LOL" and that whole "enunciate them clearly like a f*cking lady" just cracks me up every time I read it in your sig.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 10:56:51 am »
First of all...

I believe it was Navratilova who stated that when Anna Kornikova was making so much money despite not winning a major title that it was money that was not available to the other women in tennis by default!

It's like asking why Lil Wayne makes more money than Rakim or Big Daddy Kane even though he is not half the lyricists that they are...

Commercial appeal can often have very little to do with talent outside of the profession but more towards overall popularity to the consuming public!

Endorsements can be a picky process that does not play to rank and file but more to looks/sex appeal and market value among people with disposable income... Or wealthy white people!

Jordan, Tiger Woods and a few other athletes so transcended this by leaps and bounds but that does not mean that every other top tier athlete can attain those types of revenue numbers!

You can be fast, athletic and dominate your sport but if the general public does not buy into you as a product for whatever reasons they have then that is that!

Look at the lists of every top athlete in every sport and you may see a whole bunch of athletes that never blow through the stratosphere in commercials for some reason or another!

Of course then there is also the right agent, the right PR persons and management that could be the solution or the problem to getting the right contracts signed!

I like Serena but I am more inclined to buy Air Jordans long after Michael has played the game than purchase tennis gear from a current star... There is not much you can do to change my mind on that no matter how many grand slams are won!

Heck the only time I really watched tennis regularly was when Venus and Serena played each other for the title but if it was a choice between college football and the 20 plus different titles that are won year round I would rather watch the suspense of sports that have only one title at the end of the year than those that have throwaway trophies every other weekend!

The Mercedes Open... The John Doe Classic... The ABC XYZ Invitational... C'mon son it's hard to feel bad for athletes that can lose in the first round at Wimbledon and then pop over next week to the Ferrari Tournament and win a sports car, loads of cash and beat some little girl who has a name way too difficult to pronounce!

Put linebackers at center court to tackle each opponent and let them play in the rain and snow and then we can talk about who should earn what pay for play... Or have them UFC it out between break points and win sets with blood streaming down their faces mixed with sweat let them serve for the match!

I have not seen one concussion in tennis yet so get going on that... I won't feel sorry for any athlete that surpasses a 7 generation 401k retirement level because some other athlete earned a few more millions appealing to certain fans that have the cash and made their choice be it due to race or culture or country!

Serena should stop Crip Walking if the Crips don't spend millions on tennis especially if it hurts her cash flow on the Bloods side of the coin who are rivals to the Crips gang... DUH!!!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 11:40:36 am »

It's a fair question.

What dude (aside from a tennis fan) is going to be up on who makes what in Ladies' Tennis? I have no idea what Federer or Nidal makes or who makes more between the two of them.

At least I can remember seeing TV commercials with Serena and Venus Williams in them. I don't remember ever seeing a commerical with Sharaparova in it.

If you told me that Serena made more money in endorsements than Sharaparova I'd of believed it.

I'm guessing that tennis players get the majority of their endorsement dough from stuff like signiture rackets tennis shoes and stuff that tennis enthusiasts would buy.

The rest would come from stuff like posters. Maybe Sharaparova has an
advantage to Serena there. She might sell more posters to teenage boys (being a cute Blonde and all). And even then, I can't swing a dead cat without seeing sexy Serena posters too.

So I just gonna assume that Serena doesn't make much money off of Tennis fans.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 12:26:16 pm »
First of all...
Commercial appeal can often have very little to do with talent outside of the profession but more towards overall popularity to the consuming public!

Yep.

At least I can remember seeing TV commercials with Serena and Venus Williams in them. I don't remember ever seeing a commerical with Sharaparova in it.

Don't forget what may be happening overseas.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:29:15 pm by Battle »

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 12:38:20 pm »
And then there is the The Great White Hype aspect...

Whoever filmed this movie made some good and obvious points but I aint saying nothing! ;)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 01:02:31 pm »

Well, count me among the previously ignant on the endorsement imbalance. Thanks for the info. Can't say I'm surprised. I guess I just file it under "don't hate the player, hate the game." I can see why folks could be pissed about it though.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 08:15:21 pm »
What I like about Serena is she doesn't at all play the "good sport" thing. She is a cut throat in the Kobe or Brady or Jordan mood and she isn't there to congratulate you and smile and shake your hand. If she doesn't win it isn't a happy time and if she does win she will dance over your body.

You know? I like that too. Every once in a while I do enjoy an unapologetic butcher
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC: