Author Topic: DoomWar 1  (Read 30109 times)

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: DoomWar 1
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2010, 07:20:37 pm »
But killing him also takes down the hierarchy of the Desturi. Take down the head and the body collapses. It may also swing instant Wakandan support back to the Black Panther. Fortune favors the bold and all that.

What worries me more is the aftermath. If any remaining Desturi are still a threat, I fear Shuri may use the strongman tactics of her father. She and T'Challa have already begun backtracking on progressive ideals. What if they employ the Hatut Zeraze to disappear remaining dissenters?

I agree & It would be very interesting if they (Hatut Zeraze) did...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:24:32 pm by 4sake »
Pull List

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2010, 07:57:05 pm »
Killing him may take down the head of the Desturi and then the body dies or it could turn him into a martyr around which civil war may explode.

The one act may have killed any hope for their return to leadership.  By that I mean, they win the war but must lose the throne to keep peace.

OR like you said, it kills the body and they go away.  JM could go either route.  (Or another)

Offline Wakandan561

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2010, 08:19:17 pm »
and what about this Mysterious Plague that supposededly hit Wakanda in Doomwar #1 , I guess even Wakandans can't protect themselves from Swine Flu, but I really want to know how that story plays out in Doomwar, and if it's Doctor Doom's doing, and if so what exactly did he do to the Wakandan people. 
The Absence of Evidence is not The Evidence of Absence

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2010, 08:50:15 pm »
and what about this Mysterious Plague that supposededly hit Wakanda in Doomwar #1 , I guess even Wakandans can't protect themselves from Swine Flu, but I really want to know how that story plays out in Doomwar, and if it's Doctor Doom's doing, and if so what exactly did he do to the Wakandan people. 

Off top I didn't think there really was a plague and the Wakandans were just doing a peaceful protest but we also didn't get any confirmation as to what was destroying the crops. Part of me wonders if it has to do with Vibranium or the Panther God. 

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2010, 08:26:36 am »

Off top I didn't think there really was a plague and the Wakandans were just doing a peaceful protest but we also didn't get any confirmation as to what was destroying the crops. Part of me wonders if it has to do with Vibranium or the Panther God. 

I'm almost certain that the blight/drought was shown to be Doom's nanite handiwork in an earlier issue.  I'll have to check it out, but I remember seeing that. 

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2010, 12:23:41 pm »

I'm almost certain that the blight/drought was shown to be Doom's nanite handiwork in an earlier issue.  I'll have to check it out, but I remember seeing that. 

Nah, the Wakandan scientists couldn't find anything and Storm said that she felt it was something magical at play. I was never actually revealed what it was that was affecting the crops.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:34 pm »
In in issue 10 a robot locust is shown (during the scene where Storm bring the rain).

I thought she was being bugged by robo-bugs but it looks like Doom's Robot Insect Army might have been poisoning the crops.

"Doom's Robot Insect Army"

Anybody want to start a band?  ;D 

Offline DJfunkyPuddle

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2010, 11:34:13 pm »
I have the variant waiting to be shipped at my former LCS (Velocity Comics, Richmond VA w00t!) but I couldn't wait that long to get it so I snagged the JRJR version today...wow, just wow...I had the biggest f'in grin after that last page.  JM, you sir, have done it again; you have my eternal thanks.

ps-what if in some sick way the plague was unleashed by the Panther God as a way to punish the Wakandans?

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2010, 08:51:11 am »
In in issue 10 a robot locust is shown (during the scene where Storm bring the rain).

I thought she was being bugged by robo-bugs but it looks like Doom's Robot Insect Army might have been poisoning the crops.

"Doom's Robot Insect Army"

Anybody want to start a band?  ;D 

My memory is impeccable!  ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2010, 07:36:26 am »
DOOMWAR #1 was a very exciting read.

It's interesting how Maberry is finally revealing all the hidden stuff  from Black Panther #1 - 12 into this book and opening with the BBC, CNN, FOX and any other media networks for the whole world to witness.

Scot Eaton is an incredibly expressionistic comicbook artist and there are panels drawn where you see all of these various reaction shots of characters' faces that really emote the seriousness of the conflict like... for example in the last two pages, seeing everyone's reaction to Shuri, T'Challa and Nightcrawler's sneak attack on one of the Desturi leaders.  How would Erick Sermon of EPMD say it?
*Crack* "Snappin' necks plus I'mm  live FX!!!"

This DOOMWAR event has it all:

Bio-warfare, lying, murder, cheat, political intrique, hard choices...

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2010, 04:38:36 pm »
My LCBS was out of DW last week but I got my hands on a copy this week. Wow. That was a great issue. With very good artwork. If this is the last of Maberry's run on Panther I hope Marvel will let him finish, because this first issue was an indicator of a great series to come.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2010, 09:50:17 pm »
Think this is arguably the scariest depiction (in writing and drawing) of Dr Doom in a long time...he seems like a menacing, diabolical despot.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2010, 01:02:41 am »
I totally agree with this. Maberry is a terrific writer, I think the problem is that writing talent was focused on the wrong character: Shuri. To be fair, though, it wasn't Maberry's fault. I've said this one-hundred times and I'll say it again- when a new writer is announced on a title, people's curiousity is piqued. Anytime there is a change in writers is an opportunity grab new readership.  People wanted to read about T'challa and Ororo. When they picked up issue 7, they saw this character, Shuri, that they didn't even recognize nor did they care about. Despite the quality of the writing, which was very good, may people would find it boring to read about Shuri who hasn't really grown on anybody yet and doesn't have a strong enough fanbase to carry a title. I really felt that the title was fortunate to have a writer like Maberry onboard, but Shuri was the wrong choice to make the center of the book. He wrote Shuri very well, problem is nobody cares about her. He's doing a very good job with Dr. Doom too.

While Storm has been written out-of-character for six months and was nearly written out of the title, this was part of the reprocussion from making Shuri the center role. Again, this isn't Maberry's fault as it was decided by the PTB. I believe we are going to get our favorite weather goddess back with a vengeance in "DoomWar". Her old fire and indomitable will were starting to show up again in "DoomWar" #1. As for the out-of-character way she was written in 7-12, there are still many ways to make that into something deep. Have Storm confront T'challa at the end of this crisis for his decision-making and have both characters do some soul searching after this and ultimately come out of it a stronger couple. 
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2010, 02:55:40 am »
This DOOMWAR event has it all:

Bio-warfare, lying, murder, cheat, political intrique, hard choices...

Also known as "gunpowder, treason, and plot".  ;D
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2010, 03:59:03 am »
Rutog:  <<People wanted to read about T'challa and Ororo.>>

But not enough of them.  The thing people are missing, if T and O were pulling in a large enuff audience, the book would never had needed a restart in the first place.  Bringing in Shuri was an attempt to save the brand, because it couldn't continue as was.

One of the biggest problems with Shuri is also a problem for T and O.  Stan Lee said, "Villains make the Hero" or something like that.  If Shuri was introduced with a recongnizable popular villain or at least a good new villain things might have been different.  Instead she was given a lame looking villain with a name no one can pronouce.  If they pit her against, say Sabertooth; sales would have been higher.