Author Topic: Black Panther Cancelled??!!!  (Read 100162 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther Cancelled??!!!
« Reply #330 on: March 12, 2010, 02:48:40 am »
Could someone explain to me what "Happy Pants" Panther means? I've only read a little of Priest, and a lot of Hudlin and all of Maberry's BP work. And just a TPB of Kirby's. So there's a lot about BP's past I am not up on.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2010, 03:42:22 am »
Oh, I forgot the biggest difference between Kirby's Panther and Priest/Reggie Panther--Because Kirby n Stan created BP under 60's Comic Code Authority, he would not kill.

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2010, 04:01:03 am »
The same goes with BP.  Is the Priest interpretation correct or is the
Stan Lee/Jack Kirby interpretation correct?

Say what?

Priest's interpretation of T'Challa was taken directly from what Stan AND Jack did.

Jack Kirby on his own,  Don McGregor, and Roy Thomas were the ones with differing interpretations.

Oops, I just realized I said Roy Thomas, I MEANT Roger Stern.

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2010, 04:08:36 am »
Could someone explain to me what "Happy Pants" Panther means? I've only read a little of Priest, and a lot of Hudlin and all of Maberry's BP work. And just a TPB of Kirby's. So there's a lot about BP's past I am not up on.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/pantherh.htm

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2010, 02:38:30 pm »
^
Thanks. Wish they had come up with a better name than "Happy Pants."

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 14, 2010, 10:57:08 am »
Ororo is supposed to be about 25, for those who are interested...

...no.

Also T'Challa being 33 ages him to fast for current sliding time scale in marvel imo.. Currently I'd say he like 29/31 which mean he's be King about 10-12 years which make sense since Franklin R, is about 10-12  years &  having the FF being active around 10-13 years since marvel time kind of works around when they became active..

Priest says T'Challa has been king for 20 years. But that's PriestPanther, and I don't think Syan existed in his world, so...enh. I think he's a bit younger myself, but I can take 33. I get a little sick of people trying to make characters under 30 b/c they consider 30 to be old. Geez, give it a f*cking rest already.

I don't see Storm or T'Challa to be younger than 30, especially since Storm's father met Malcolm X when he was a babe in arms. Malcolm visited Africa in 1959 and 1964, so David was probably about three when Malcolm was murdered. HOWEVER, Storm has stated that she's been in the X-Men for 12 years. When Storm was seduced by Dracula circa 1980, she was in her "mid to late 20s." She simply cannot - CANNOT - have been born before 1982, not unless you start playing hard and fast with math.

Oh I have no probably with characters aging, I usually have prob will writers try to de-age characters.. Like Emma being to 27-28 now ain't no way in hell that make sense lol. lucky some writers dnt buy into either..) Or what writers did to Jubes & Kitty for years de-age after they be said to be older or etc.. Lucky they both are written like a 20 & 21 year old snow like they should be.

In current community T'Challa became  BP/ruler/Warrior King at 19 which is more believable to me while the most advance in the Marvel world would let a 13 year old (I know a 13 super genius but still) run the hold country especially when at the time (in story) there were at least 4 ppl (S'yan, N'Gassi, Ramonda & Zuri) more able & quantified to run Wakanda than him.. Also I can't see a 13 year oldT'Challa beating S'yan or Zuri in a fight, I think a 19 year old T'Challa could do it..

Yeah I know S'yan didn't exist in CP world, but Zuri & QM didn't exist JK world.. Which would still leave  N'Gassi (who the oldest living black panther supporting cast member.. he was created in the 70 by Kirby)he probably around Azzari the Wise  age & was more likely his friend/peer..So I think he would be a lil more quantified than 13 year old super genius T'Challa to run Wakanda maybe not be the BP but to run the country yes..

Yeah I think they are both either around or at 30 (that why I say 29-31 which also can make sense with in the marvel universe)..
Pull List

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2010, 11:37:33 am »
As far as aging/how old: give it up.  There is no internally consistent logic on how Marvel characters age.

Jenn

« Reply #337 on: March 14, 2010, 03:06:13 pm »
That's true, but if Kitty is in her early to mid 20s, Storm has to be in her early 30s. We've seen Kitty drinking beer, so she's 21 at the very least. It's impossible to guess age, but it's rare for some characters to age and others don't (except kids).

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 14, 2010, 03:48:16 pm »
As far as aging/how old: give it up.  There is no internally consistent logic on how Marvel characters age.

That some what true but, when the FF debut in story is supposed to be the don of modern super heroes & the are modern teams (with them being 1st team).. So marvel for the most part doesn't let super heroes age or be active  long than the FF have been a team.. The FF have been active in story for about 11-13 years (If I remembering correctly it was Slott or Joe Q said this or it was both).. So Storm can never be X-Men long than 10-12 in story & Kitty can never get to say 25 that is until they change the # of years the FF been active/started there team.

That's true, but if Kitty is in her early to mid 20s, Storm has to be in her early 30s. We've seen Kitty drinking beer, so she's 21 at the very least. It's impossible to guess age, but it's rare for some characters to age and others don't (except kids).

True, I think Kitty is 21 maybe 22 at the most, I don't think it impossible to guess age to guess age hard/very hard some time yes but not impossible imo.. Kitty join the x-men like 1 or 2 years
marvel time with the slowed time scale (1975 to 1980) after Strom did & they both been with the X-Men for about 7-10 years imo.. I think Storm was 18-20 when she join  (but I could be wrong) which mean now she at least 29/30 & Kitty was 13/14 when he join.. so her being 21 make works..

Also it I agree about it being rare, Kitty, Jubes, Cannonball Moonstar, Cloak, & the other characters in there early 20s/late teens are the last generation of super heroes in marvel that can/will age some what..

Will be all be very old or long dead before Marvel will let (if at all) Franklin get 20 (he's like 9/11 now but he should be more like 15)..  
Pull List

Jenn

« Reply #339 on: March 14, 2010, 03:57:06 pm »
I'm interested to know how old Storm was when she was worshipped as a goddess. It seems to me that she was about 12-13 or so, then reigned until Xavier scooped her up until around 18-20, possibly younger.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 14, 2010, 04:04:42 pm »
I'm interested to know how old Storm was when she was worshipped as a goddess. It seems to me that she was about 12-13 or so, then reigned until Xavier scooped her up until around 18-20, possibly younger.

Me 2, Ive always guess she was 14/15 (He powered who be completely activated by then & I think she would have basic-good understand of how they work & etc like fly, make rain & lighting.) with her leave it behind & joining the X-Men at 19/20..
Pull List

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 14, 2010, 07:51:47 pm »
As far as aging/how old: give it up.  There is no internally consistent logic on how Marvel characters age.

Agreed. Claremont once said in an interview that the characters don't age because nobody wants to read about a 40 year old superhero. He then raised a rhetorical question to emphasize his point using Spiderman as the example. He asked, "If Spiderman were 40, would his book sell as well?" Of course, people like Wolverine are exceptions. The man is over 100 but ages slowly because of his healing factor. Older mutants like Banshee were eventually placed in the role of teachers of the next generation.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 24, 2010, 03:21:06 pm »
Hey Princesa,

This is what you were talking about right

Hey, Black Panther Fans!

Issue # 12 was the last issue for this series!

As a courtesy, we've transferred any remaining issues of your subscription to Daredevil, Marvel's critically acclaimed series featuring the man without fear!

If you already subscribe to Daredevil, your subscription will be extended by the number of issues you had remaining in your Black Panther subscription.

If you would prefer to transfer your subscription to a different title, please complete the form at the back of this letter and fax or mail it. Of course, we will refund the pro-rated amount of your subscription if you decide to say goodbye.

We look forward to receiving your subscription request.

Sincerely,
Marvel Subscriptions

With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Naki

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 24, 2010, 04:22:18 pm »
Hey Princesa,

This is what you were talking about right

Hey, Black Panther Fans!

Issue # 12 was the last issue for this series!

As a courtesy, we've transferred any remaining issues of your subscription to Daredevil, Marvel's critically acclaimed series featuring the man without fear!

If you already subscribe to Daredevil, your subscription will be extended by the number of issues you had remaining in your Black Panther subscription.

If you would prefer to transfer your subscription to a different title, please complete the form at the back of this letter and fax or mail it. Of course, we will refund the pro-rated amount of your subscription if you decide to say goodbye.

We look forward to receiving your subscription request.

Sincerely,
Marvel Subscriptions

Yup, got my letter today with a copy of Daredevil. The crazy thing is that I already cancelled my subscription and received my Marvel check for the balance.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2010, 06:43:49 pm »
Yep those were the notices. Incidentally I got a similar note for my Spider Woman being transferred to Black Widow but the difference was the last page of Spider Woman was Bendis explaining they couldn't do the series AND the motion comic because the motion comic was the equal to doing three regular ones. Also it was an ending because her teammates showed up to bail her out and tell her she wasn't alone.