Author Topic: Black Panther Cancelled??!!!  (Read 100694 times)

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther Cancelled??!!!
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2010, 09:30:32 pm »
having head box and looking like a 50 year old uncle,

What's wrong with that?

Signed,
Patrick Ewing

PS: Yeah! Regards, Larry Blackmon

Jenn

« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2010, 09:57:06 pm »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2010, 01:03:06 am »

What's wrong with that?

Signed,
Patrick Ewing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYch68rdCY

Christ!  Never saw that!  I blew a snot bubble of laughter.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2010, 02:50:47 am »
BLADE is an extremely popular character;  but he can't sustain a series.  That says more about the comic book market than it does the character.

I'm not quite so sure about that. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of factors in why Blade and other popular characters can't keep books. The creative team is one, but for Blade, I think Marvel has had a hard time reconciling the Blade from the movies, which is the more popular incarnation, with the comic Blade. They've tried to awkwardly create a composite Blade that doesn't quite seem to satisfy anyone. I would also agree that the latest Blade series, not MI13, didn't do Blade many favors either.

I give them credit for trying to tie Blade into the Marvel U. I liked the first issue when he took out a SHIELD helicarrier, but then they did have him doing some stupid things. Didn't care for the gun or wooden stake replacing his hand, and I didn't care for making Lucas Cross his father, though I liked Cross. And I didn't like how they made Dracula look like he was coming or going to Studio 54 in like the last issue. There were some creative misteps with the book, though I enjoyed Cross and Draconis and would like to see these villains return in a future Blade storyline, albeit Cross not being Blade's father.

I would love for them to give him another MAX series but based a bit more on the movie version, with Whistler, the vampire Houses, etc., and probably just a sprinkling of the comic book stuff with other monsters and demons and stuff. But keep him away from the main Marvel U. He doesn't really fit in there. However, I did like his stint on MI13 and his relationship with Spitfire, so maybe there is something of a place for him there. Because I wouldn't mind seeing him and Spitfire in a series or a miniseries. With Blade its ironic that someone mentioned Geoff Johns because he was one of the creative forces behind Blade the Series, which didn't do the character many favors in terms of development. I like Johns but I haven't seen much evidence that he seems interested in writing black heroes. John Stewart is a sullen, though kickass cipher, in the Blackest Night storyline, and Johns' Blade yielded the floor too the much fairer-skinned Krista, an entirely new character.

I also agree that Deadpool has been popular for quite some time. Never got the appeal really, but I guess he's supposed to be a wiseacre killing machine-oh wait, now I see the appeal. Even though I'm still not a fan. And he's been heavily promoted for quite some time, and especially during the Wolverine Origins movie.

As for DoomWar not beating Siege, if it did I think Marvel would have a conniption. It's not supposed to. Compare how Siege has been advertised as opposed to DoomWar which hasn't gotten much cross promotion at all. I might be wrong but the only "Prelude" banners I saw were over the BP books. It would've been nice to add them to the X-books, Deadpool, and FF books to let those fans know that a big event was going down. Also there could've been more advertisements in other books, posters, a free DW #0 setting up the event and explaining the key players, etc. I doubt DW will outsell Fall of the Hulks surely not because of quality but because of lack of promotion by Marvel.

It's quite ironic, and another symbol of how 'post-racial' we have become that its harder to market an African hero than a green one like Hulk, a god like Thor, or an alien like Superman. I think the way to do it is to first revamp BP's rogues's gallery-Johns' got major buzz on Flash for doing this, and RH and JM were in the process of doing that with Morlun and Dr. Doom, and then continue tying Wakanda to the major events in Marvel. If Wakanda is the most powerful nation on Earth there should be more action taking place there. And adding more Wakandan heroes to teams and referencing Wakanda and using Wakanda technology more, and stuff like that to get the idea in people's heads, are some ways I think could help get BP more notice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:04:15 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2010, 07:03:49 am »
I like Johns but I haven't seen much evidence that he seems interested in writing black heroes. John Stewart is a sullen, though kickass cipher, in the Blackest Night storyline, and Johns' Blade yielded the floor too the much fairer-skinned Krista, an entirely new character.

In Geoff Johns defense he did some great work with the Mr Terrific character in JSA and he also did a great job of writing Black Panther in his short stint on The Avengers. I just think Geoff Johns doesn't give sh*t about John Stewart and tends to write around the character.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2010, 07:46:55 am »
I think any character can carry a book depending on whom the writer is. If Bendis did a Blade book the book would sell, if someone else were doing Spider Woman--I doubt it would make it. Fraction on Iron Fist sold--the next guy didn't. I think the Panther could sell or more to the point the Panther/Storm could sell. But it couldn't be the book we were getting in BP. Too often we ask can a black hero sell when the real  issue is can someone please write a black hero well enough to sell. 

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2010, 08:50:12 am »
I like Johns but I haven't seen much evidence that he seems interested in writing black heroes. John Stewart is a sullen, though kickass cipher, in the Blackest Night storyline, and Johns' Blade yielded the floor too the much fairer-skinned Krista, an entirely new character.

In Geoff Johns defense he did some great work with the Mr Terrific character in JSA and he also did a great job of writing Black Panther in his short stint on The Avengers. I just think Geoff Johns doesn't give sh*t about John Stewart and tends to write around the character.

I agree.  Mr. Terrific was the leader of the JSA for over half of Johns' run.  He made a guy with no real power but his intellect become one of the heavy hitters of the team.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2010, 08:54:09 am »

What's wrong with that?

Signed,
Patrick Ewing

There's nothing wrong with that it's just that it won't sell comic books.
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2010, 09:41:09 am »
I'm not all that impressed with Geoff Johns, he did ZERO with John Stewart in what three years? I'm glad he was taken away from him and put in GL Corp.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2010, 10:58:02 am »
I think that Geoff Johns probably just doesn't like John Stewart. I think he writes beautifully for most characters. However, if the writer just doesn't like a character then we're not going to see much done with said character.

Case in Point, did all the Heroes and Villains who died in Ultimatum on Bendis's bad list?
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2010, 01:47:32 pm »
He should not choose Wakanda over Storm because that is his wife and family. I think it was unnecessary to begin with. I think T'challa over-dramatized this whole thing with "making a choice between wife and country." The Desturi's goal is not to destroy Wakanda or the Wakandan people, but to gain power politically and overthrow the ruling family. Doom is using them as a distraction as his goal is not to immediately attack Wakanda via an overt, hostile takeover. Doom's approach is subtle and Wakanda was not in any immediate danger from either Doom or the Desturi. He should have chosen to save Storm and then the two of them along with Shuri could have concocted a plan to get Wakanda back. I mean, how did he save his country anyway in letting Storm take the fall? She would have been prepared for the trap and would not be in the situation she's currently in. Its not as if somebody had their hand on a button that would have blown the country up if he didn't allow her to fall into Doom's and Desturi's trap. Heck, he could have flown to the X-Men HQ on his own, talked to the White Queen and had her telepathically warn Storm from across the world of the situation. Storm could feigned ignorance of the Desturi and Doom plots. Heck, this would have given T'challa a tactical edge as now he has an inside person, Storm. Doom would be unaware of how much Ororo knows and he would have understimated her givingT'challa's team an edge. Against the likes of Doom, you need every edge you can get.

As J.M. said a gazillion times,my brutha Rutog,95% of your questions are thoroughly answered in the Doomwar#1. And answered WELL.Seriously.And I concur about TChalla perhaps overdramatizing some aspects of Ororo's danger.He would NEVER be as flippant as Jenn (who was deliberately using hyperbole,I hope) suggested with that whole..."eff that b**ch" flava comment anyway when he said that he chose his country--Wakanda--over his wife,Storm.

Let me tell you something else that I hypothesize and surmise about Ororo's personality that can perhaps reconcile the difference between the groups who think that Storm would expect TChalla to choose her over Wakanda because she expected TChalla to give up being BP for her.To me,the answer is immediately obvious and simple:

1.ORORO WOULD EXPECT TCHALLA TO GIVE UP BEING BP FOR HER AND TCHALLA LIKELY WOULD DO SUCH A THING IF IT PROVED TO HER HIS LOVE FOR HER.

2. NEVER EVER EEEVER WOULD ORORO EXPECT TCHALLA TO CHOOSE HER OVER WAKANDA BECAUSE DOING SO COULD MEAN THE DEATH OF TENS OF MILLIONS OF INNOCENTS,SOMETHING THAT SHE FINDS PERMANENTLY REPREHENSIBLE,UNACCEPTABLE AND DESPICABLE.She would hate TChalla for making such a choice and be wracked by guilt and remorse of a truly intense nature every second of her life thereafter,if such a choice were to be made.I think that WORLDS APART explored thoroughly this matter and reconciled any disparate shards within the heart and mind of Ororo.We fans of Storm should do likewise.TChalla knows these things of his wife and Queen quite well and therefore would HONOR HER WISHES by NOT choosing her over Wakanda.

Besides,I'm uh quote PRIEST ERA BP and say that Ororo "was never in danger" in the first place because TCHALLA simply got it like that.DOOM is more interested in getting the vibranium than killing Ororo,and TCHALLA knows it.DOOM knows that TCHALLA knows,too.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2010, 02:03:20 pm »
He should not choose Wakanda over Storm because that is his wife and family. I think it was unnecessary to begin with. I think T'challa over-dramatized this whole thing with "making a choice between wife and country." The Desturi's goal is not to destroy Wakanda or the Wakandan people, but to gain power politically and overthrow the ruling family. Doom is using them as a distraction as his goal is not to immediately attack Wakanda via an overt, hostile takeover. Doom's approach is subtle and Wakanda was not in any immediate danger from either Doom or the Desturi. He should have chosen to save Storm and then the two of them along with Shuri could have concocted a plan to get Wakanda back. I mean, how did he save his country anyway in letting Storm take the fall? She would have been prepared for the trap and would not be in the situation she's currently in. Its not as if somebody had their hand on a button that would have blown the country up if he didn't allow her to fall into Doom's and Desturi's trap. Heck, he could have flown to the X-Men HQ on his own, talked to the White Queen and had her telepathically warn Storm from across the world of the situation. Storm could feigned ignorance of the Desturi and Doom plots. Heck, this would have given T'challa a tactical edge as now he has an inside person, Storm. Doom would be unaware of how much Ororo knows and he would have understimated her givingT'challa's team an edge. Against the likes of Doom, you need every edge you can get.

As J.M. said a gazillion times,my brutha Rutog,95% of your questions are thoroughly answered in the Doomwar#1. And answered WELL.Seriously.And I concur about TChalla perhaps overdramatizing some aspects of Ororo's danger.He would NEVER be as flippant as Jenn (who was deliberately using hyperbole,I hope) suggested with that whole..."eff that b**ch" flava comment anyway when he said that he chose his country--Wakanda--over his wife,Storm.

Let me tell you something else that I hypothesize and surmise about Ororo's personality that can perhaps reconcile the difference between the groups who think that Storm would expect TChalla to choose her over Wakanda because she expected TChalla to give up being BP for her.To me,the answer is immediately obvious and simple:

1.ORORO WOULD EXPECT TCHALLA TO GIVE UP BEING BP FOR HER AND TCHALLA LIKELY WOULD DO SUCH A THING IF IT PROVED TO HER HIS LOVE FOR HER.

2. NEVER EVER EEEVER WOULD ORORO EXPECT TCHALLA TO CHOOSE HER OVER WAKANDA BECAUSE DOING SO COULD MEAN THE DEATH OF TENS OF MILLIONS OF INNOCENTS,SOMETHING THAT SHE FINDS PERMANENTLY REPREHENSIBLE,UNACCEPTABLE AND DESPICABLE.She would hate TChalla for making such a choice and be wracked by guilt and remorse of a truly intense nature every second of her life thereafter,if such a choice were to be made.I think that WORLDS APART explored thoroughly this matter and reconciled any disparate shards within the heart and mind of Ororo.We fans of Storm should do likewise.TChalla knows these things of his wife and Queen quite well and therefore would HONOR HER WISHES by NOT choosing her over Wakanda.

Besides,I'm uh quote PRIEST ERA BP and say that Ororo "was never in danger" in the first place because TCHALLA simply got it like that.DOOM is more interested in getting the vibranium than killing Ororo,and TCHALLA knows it.DOOM knows that TCHALLA knows,too.

Excellent points.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2010, 02:05:51 pm »
The nanite issue has another consider for the whole "wife vs country" argument.    He knows she is an X-men.  That means it is very possible that she will be in situations where the signal would be blocked and would explode, killing her. Her powers could block the signal.  Shoot, there probably places in the Wakanda, especially in the palace that would jam the signal, killing her.

And it still doesn't explain why he didn't try to reach her thru a telepath, especially a mystic type.

(Besides, Reed would have solved the problem in 24 hrs.)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2010, 02:12:53 pm »
The nanite issue has another consider for the whole "wife vs country" argument.    He knows she is an X-men.  That means it is very possible that she will be in situations where the signal would be blocked and would explode, killing her. Her powers could block the signal.  Shoot, there probably places in the Wakanda, especially in the palace that would jam the signal, killing her.

And it still doesn't explain why he didn't try to reach her thru a telepath, especially a mystic type.

Doom is a mage of such stature that he might have been the next Sorcerer Supreme had Doctor Voodoo not beaten him out for the spot.I wouldn't've tried either the mystic or telepathic route (unless the telepath was Prof X) because DOOM himself would be expecting such a manuever and would have traps set for TCHALLA should he try such a thing.Unless I could get my hands on Doctor Jericho Drumm,Doctor Strange or Professor X,I wouldn't even DAY DREAM of it.And remember...LOKI IS WITH DOOM.I would stay far away from magic communication that could have lethal consequences for my country and wife if I were to do battle with Doom.I would use magic in only the most unconventional self empowering ways that would be safest for my country,family and wife.But that's me.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Shade

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »

Ehh considering that the friend T'Challa was talking about that he was working is obviously Reed, and that they still haven't figured it out it's safe to say that Reed wouldn't have solved anything in 24 hours.
Kiss the sky!