Author Topic: Black Panther Cancelled??!!!  (Read 100690 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther Cancelled??!!!
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2010, 05:21:58 pm »
Storm may be unleashed in 3, but remember, by issue 4, Doom has won every round.

Offline BBeeryan

• T'Challa's namesake
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2010, 05:46:34 pm »
Wait a minute. Did this mini just go to second print? LOL I'm so mad I didn't get mine yet. Not too much longer, 'Ro.
The All-Goddess, Ororo Komo Wakandas, The Walker of Clouds, La Reine Storm, The Goddess who Preserves the Balance of all Natural Things, Ororo Iqadi T'Challa, The Queen of Prophecy, Hadari Yao, The Bright Lady, The Rightful Queen of Wakanda has returned to the throne! All-Goddes be praised!

Offline DJfunkyPuddle

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »
Does anybody know if issue no. 2 has a variant?

Offline BBeeryan

• T'Challa's namesake
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2010, 05:50:49 pm »
I knew the book was on "hiatus" during Doomwar and like we all I was hoping it would regenerate interest in the book. So in my mail today was a copy of Dare Devil and a note from Marvel saying BP 12 would be the last issue of the series and the remaining issues would be transferred to DD. So that's it I guess, a wrap???!!! ???
Yeah I been meaning to ask this... Around the time WAP came out, was your subscription put on "hiatus"? What was the deal with that?
The All-Goddess, Ororo Komo Wakandas, The Walker of Clouds, La Reine Storm, The Goddess who Preserves the Balance of all Natural Things, Ororo Iqadi T'Challa, The Queen of Prophecy, Hadari Yao, The Bright Lady, The Rightful Queen of Wakanda has returned to the throne! All-Goddes be praised!

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2010, 08:41:02 am »
Huh...awww damn! Storm...BP...Wakanda, it can't end like this. :'(

I'll wait until official word comes out. It would really suck if it's over though :(

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2010, 09:06:40 am »
I knew the book was on "hiatus" during Doomwar and like we all I was hoping it would regenerate interest in the book. So in my mail today was a copy of Dare Devil and a note from Marvel saying BP 12 would be the last issue of the series and the remaining issues would be transferred to DD. So that's it I guess, a wrap???!!! ???
Yeah I been meaning to ask this... Around the time WAP came out, was your subscription put on "hiatus"? What was the deal with that?

I got issue 12 and there wasn't anything said at the time. I ordered Doomwar from my online store just in case it wouldn't come under my subscription. Then around the time for regularly scheduled issue a BP the notice came.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2010, 12:17:44 pm »
Storm's power is on the omega mutant level and if Maberry played up all elements of her skills all the time then most of The Black Panther stories would not be used....that's a downside to including her in his book....on the same level in a different way as to why the XMen movies always took Professor Xavier out of the mix to make the story work...Storm is almost too powerful to have around and to credibly give The Black Panther a chance to shine.  Maberry successfully wrote this book in the last few issues when he had an uphill battle with undeveloped characters, a book that was losing sales and a storyline that was left for him to make a hit with comic fans across the board.  With the first Doom War issue selling out it appears that he has made noticeable steps in turning around the success of the book ....and gaining an underground following because comic book buyers respect his skill as a writer (as evidenced by threads on comic sites and a 16 minute review of the book on www.youtube.com).

An argument can be made either way in the handling of the nannites issue just like some comic fans compare the Black Panther & Storm marriage to The Bat Man marrying Wonder Woman (most of his villains could not really take her on either) - and you have to downplay the abilities of the powerful character to drive the story.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 08, 2010, 01:35:00 pm »
^^^I agree. Also, I am not too hard on Maberry for the nannite angle. This is not the first time they have been used against Storm successfully as they have been used against Storm in other titles as well with success. Its just everytime they are used against her I always raise an eyebrow since I don't know how they can work on her. Her mutant metabolism generates a tremendous amount of electrical energy and she channels lightning from the environment through her body all the time as well. You'd think that trying to put any kind of tech inside of her would not work as it should be shorted out, neutralized, or destroyed or something. To boot, Storm has a heightened sense of self as seen when she was impregnated by a brood egg. She sensed that there was life within her and she was then able to probe within her own being and discern the origins of that life as being Brood. Then I can also recall Mojo and Spiral putting a whammy on the X-Men with magic and Storm, sensing a wrongness within herself, got up the strength of will to break the spell.

I don't make a big deal out of the nannite thing here and its something I can overlook as a minor blemish if the story is really good and Storm ends up shining. Overall, I think the story is going to be awesome and I think Storm is going to really come through. One of the positives I really liked about DoomWar issue 1 is Storm's strong-willed character started to come through when she addressed the court and later when she addressed Dr. Doom. I also liked the nod to her lockpicking abilities when she was in that cell. To be honest, if one is going to write the nannites successfully being used against her, then she would be more understanding about T'challa not warning her. To do this, her heightened sense of self and the protection against nannite tech that she should *likely* have because of the electrical forces in her body would have to be written out, however, as Stanley said, when you have uber powerful characterts like Storm sometimes this is what has to happen for the sake of telling a story. Even Chris Claremont would do this to Storm and Phoenix sometimes in stories. Who knows, maybe in a future story, these aspects of Storm will get played up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:46:53 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 08, 2010, 02:48:27 pm »
You know, I think some people are being too hard on Maberry. While there are certainly merits to some of the complaints regarding Storm's treatment in issues 7-12 (Eventhough she was infected with nannites, she was not aware of that. As such, she should have been proactive in learning the identity of T'challa's attacker and she should have confronted him on this regardless as to whether or not he would tell her. This should have caused some friction and drama which would have been fun to read), Maberry is new to writing Storm. She's not exactly the easiest character to write as she's very complex and has a complex powerset. IIRC, the T'challa/Ororo marriage issue sold around 63K. The issues following did have some awkwardness where Storm was concerned and the book lost a lot of readership. I can recall two issues that really stand out. The first being the issue where the duo went into space to meet the Inhumans. I know that I and other Storm fans were really looking forward to that story as we rarely see Storm in space and she has AWESOME powers when in space. Hudlin wrote her powerless in space as he was simply unaware of this aspect of her powers. The second being when the duo went to meet Namor. There was some oddness in Ororo's manner of speaking here and her own leadership abilities were not acknowledged as it should have been given the nature of the conversation. Many Storm fans came down very hard on him for this and gave up on the book. I can recall going on other message boards and telling them that Hudlin is committed to these characters and to give him a chance. He's just new to writing Storm. The more he wrote the character, the better portrayed she became. By issues 1-6 of the relaunch, many readers were clamoring saying, "This is the real Storm!" That said, on the issue of outer space, he and McDuffie worked together during the time the duo served membership on the FF. The FF arc was an outer space story and Storm was powerful there. It more than made up for the "Inhuman" issue of Black Panther where Storm was written powerless in space accidently.

Maberry did make a mistake with Storm's character in issues 7-12. She was too complacent, too accepting of T'challa ignoring her when she should have been on fire. However, I can see how this mistake can happen when a writer is new to the character. I can see Invisible Woman, Wasp or any number of women behaving like Storm did in 7-12 just suffering in silence as their husbands or lovers ignored them if faced with the same situation. Storm, however, is what I call the ultimate "claremontian woman". This is a woman who will not be denied. She's very, very strong and truly an indomitable force of nature. She's very passionate, proactive and ferociously formidable especially when backed in a corner. I can understand why T'challa did not share with her the stuff about Doom, but she was unaware of the circumstances that prevented him and should have acted accordingly. She should have gone at T'challa for this and it would have been an immoveable object meeting an unstoppable force. There should have been friction and drama galore in some of those scenes. If this had happened while Shuri did what she did and T'challa did what he did with Zawavari, it would have alleviated the complaints people are having about the book. All three characters would have shone like stars and Shuri would have still been developed as she has. Also, readership picked up on issue 7 when a new writer was announced, right? I think this move would have kept the new readership and probably inspired others to pick up the title as word of mouth got around about the drama that would have been going on in the book. I mean, just think about it. You'd have Shuri doing what she was doing, T'challa and Storm fighting as T'challa is getting those enhancements and preparing his secret army behind her back while Storm is conducting her own investigation into T'challa's attack behind his back and everyone else's. This whole thing is just one big mess and people LOVE mess. I know people would have loved to read something like this. I would bet dollars to donuts that the readership would have increased if this angle were taken and it would have been true to the nature of each character to behave like this. So, yes, I am aware of all of this when I remain optomistic about Maberry. I say to give him a chance dispite the drawbacks on issues 7-12 and he will deliver. The Storm we know and love started showing up in "DoomWar" #1. Maberry is sincere in delivering on all the characters including Storm. Give him a chance, and you will not regret it. This is my honest belief. "DoomWar" #1 sold out in my local comic store on day 1. Everybody is really excited about it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:58:04 pm by Rutog98 »

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Jenn

« Reply #234 on: March 08, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »
The Storm we know and love started showing up in "DoomWar" #1.

I heard about that. "Ooh, when my man gets back, you all are gonna GET IT!" Did she fold her arms and stomp her feet, too?

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 08, 2010, 06:08:06 pm »

Okay what is "WAP"?

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 08, 2010, 07:53:17 pm »

I heard about that. "Ooh, when my man gets back, you all are gonna GET IT!" Did she fold her arms and stomp her feet, too?

I was bothered by the quote you just mentioned when I read the preview pages online, however, when I read the issue and saw Storm's interaction with Doom and her jailor, it set me at ease. I do have to admit that that line coming from Storm was awkward as Storm is more independent and more resourceful than that. I agree with you that Storm isn't going to rely on some man to rescue her and it is nout-of-character for her to try and throw him up to somebody threatening her. She's ferociously formidable on her own and it would have been preferable for those people to fear her and acknowledge how resourceful and dangerous she is. She is not only powerful and brilliant, but she's sneaky and tough as nails as well. Other than that line, her portrayal in the issue was very good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:34:28 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 08, 2010, 08:46:59 pm »

I was bothered by the quote you just mentioned when I read the preview pages online, however, when I read the issue and saw Storm's interaction with Doom and her jailor, it set me at ease. I do have to admit that that line coming from Storm was awkward as Storm is more independent and more resourceful than that. I agree with you that Storm isn't going to rely on some man to rescue her and it is nout-of-character for her to try and throw him up to somebody threatening her. She's ferociously formidable on her own and it would have been preferable for those people to fear her and acknowledge how resourceful and dangerous she is. She is not only powerful and brilliant, but she's sneaky and tough as nails as well. Other than that line, her portrayal in the issue was very good.

I don't think that line is out of character at all. It's not like she was just say "Oh lordy my man is gonna come and save me". Her Comment was a direct response to all the talk of T'Challa abandoning her.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 08, 2010, 08:55:40 pm »
Really, Storm is unwritable if everything is out of character. Hell, there as so many different versions of Storm.

Maybe this is why Fraction does not use her...he said he could not find her voice...

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 08, 2010, 11:47:19 pm »
Really, Storm is unwritable if everything is out of character. Hell, there as so many different versions of Storm.

Maybe this is why Fraction does not use her...he said he could not find her voice...

I don't understand your first sentence, however as for the rest of what you said, Storm is a strong, warrior character. I don't care which version of Storm you're talking about, this is something that has always remained true to the character. I don't care if you're talking about "Punk" Storm, "Aussie" Storm, "Powerless" Storm, even the weakest Storm that lasted the 7 years during the Lobdell/Kelly/Seagle era when her power levels were written down, etc.  

Even at her most gentle, when she first joined the X-Men, she was the one X-Man who could get Wolverine to back down by the sheer force of her personality. This is one thing that was stated in an interview when they were thinking about her character. The interview stated that Storm was to be Jean's best friend and that Storm would be the one X-Man who can make Wolverine back down through the sheer force of her personality, as I just stated. We saw this demonstrated several times in canon. Right off the bat, I can think of the first time Storm and Polaris fought each other. You know which issue I am referring to? The issue where a mind-controlled Polaris ticks Storm off and Storm goes to town and beats her out of the sky. At the end of the issue, Scott punches Logan and Logan goes to retaliate. Storm stops him with the sheer force of her personality. We see this again when Storm is leader of the X-Men where she is able to make Wolverine submit to her in a way Cyclops never could. Logan even tells her, "I wouldn't take this from Scott." She responds with, "You will, however, take it from me. Sheath your claws or prepare to use them against me." He backs down from her and submits to her leadership position.

She's a natural leader, strong-willed and independent. Fraction could not find her voice because he's not a good writer, however, I would bet dollars to donuts that when he does write her, she's not going to be submissive and weak. He'll at least get that part right, I hope.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:57:31 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)