Author Topic: Black Panther Cancelled??!!!  (Read 100171 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther Cancelled??!!!
« Reply #315 on: March 11, 2010, 08:38:58 am »
This "VS" issue actually brings up a good point for the whole
cancelation topic.

On one side, we have people saying that "she's not that powerful, the
writers got it wrong"; on the other side, they say, "she can do X, see
these pages".  The first side says, "Doesn't matter what the pages show,
the writer was wrong, thus the pages are wrong."  And so on.

The thing is, readers don't agree on how powerful Storm is.  Sometimes
we think she is underwritten, like when she has trouble lifting
Wolverine with her winds and other times we think they overwrote her
when she controls "solar winds".  And other people may think either one
of those events is correct.

The same goes with BP.  Is the Priest interpretation correct or is the
Stan Lee/Jack Kirby interpretation correct?

But we have to remember that the writers are also readers/fans and they
have their own interpretations of past stories.  One writer may say that
the previous writer got it all wrong.  Or sometimes they want to
reinterpret the character or maybe better stated, turn the character
into something new.   (Priest did that with BP; David did that with the
Hulk.)

But no matter the motive, readers and writers come at these books with
views on what is the right "Storm" or what is the right "BP."  And since
the audience doesn't have a unified vision of these characters, it
becomes the issue for the writer to persuade enough readers that his
version is the best/right.  And this automatically means, some will
think the writer "got it wrong."

From what we've seen so far, JM had his vision of BP/Storm and Doomwar
his last chance to sell the readers/audience on his version. 

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 11, 2010, 09:06:10 am »

Say what?

Priest's interpretation of T'Challa was taken directly from what Stan AND Jack did.

Jack Kirby on his own,  Don McGregor, and Roy Thomas were the ones with differing interpretations.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2010, 09:30:41 am »

Say what?

Priest's interpretation of T'Challa was taken directly from what Stan AND Jack did.

Jack Kirby on his own,  Don McGregor, and Roy Thomas were the ones with differing interpretations.

Lee and Kirby made BP more down to earth when he was relaxing. I wonder if that's a "Kool" or "Newport" he's smoking. But I bet that lighter is made of pure gold.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 11, 2010, 09:46:12 am »

Now there's a panel that we'll never see again! ;D  T'Challa smoking?!?

When this comicbook was first released, television used to air cigarette commercials that would indicate 'coolness' or 'leisure'.

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 11, 2010, 09:49:14 am »

Say what?

Lee and Kirby made BP more down to earth when he was relaxing. I wonder if that's a "Kool" or "Newport" he's smoking. But I bet that lighter is made of pure gold.

The reason we never saw that very much with Priest's version he was actively trying to not end up like the "Happy Pants" Panther. There's where the new look and the ultra aloof demeanor came from. It was still the same character, he was just going through some serious sh*t.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 11, 2010, 10:10:28 am »

When this comicbook was first released, television used to air cigarette commercials that would indicate 'coolness' or 'leisure'.

Marvel got  a little carried away back then:

Didn't Stark have a heart problem or something? ;D

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 11, 2010, 12:21:32 pm »
What's the difference between Priest and Kirby/Lee?  First and foremost, visually, their Wakanda is different--clothing and all.  Also Kirby/Lee version fought the FF to prove he was ready to fight Klaw and he got the FF's help.  He wasn't the ultra confident Priest version.  I also don't think Kirby/Lee version would have had an alterior motive for joining the Avengers.  He was much more direct and upfront.   All in all, Priest's was a harder version of BP.  And this is my point--when I read the FF first appearance, I don't see the Priest version.  Other people do.  Not everyone sees the characters the same, both the audience and the writers have "their" version in mind.  The writers have to persuade enough readers to like their take on the character.  If they don't, books get canceled.

Jenn

« Reply #322 on: March 11, 2010, 12:35:47 pm »
I wonder if that's a "Kool" or "Newport" he's smoking. But I bet that lighter is made of pure gold.

I want to know if it's a menthol or not.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 11, 2010, 12:39:10 pm »
If well written and properly motivated, Storm has the advantage against Magneto. That is all I wanted to say.  ;D

I remember when a non-cosmic powered Spider-Man beat the living crap out of Firelord over 20 years ago. The same Firelord who went toe-to-toe with Thor several times. I'm guessing ol' Spidey was "Properly Motivated" :D

There is a major difference between Storm and Spiderman. Spiderman doesn't have the feats under his belt to be able to take on an antagonist like Firelord and he doesn't have the powerset unless he had a weapon like the cosmic cube and you're not telling me. Storm was VERY powerful from the get go and was stated to have power equal to that of Phoenix in an interview with the creator of Phoenix even way back when. She has tons of feats under her belt that Magneto can't even begin to compare with. In the past, the only reason Magneto has ever won against Storm when they've actually come to blows is because she's held back too much out of fear of killing him (he's even admitted that if she didn't hold back, she could beat him) AND aspects of her powers are written out of the issue to weaken her so that Magneto could win. So she is still too powerful for Magneto even WHEN she's holding back so she has to be weakened on top of her holding back for him to win. The reason I said a well written and properly motivated Storm could beat him is if well written, she will have all aspects of her powers and if properly motivated, she's not going to hold back to where he can win.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline DJfunkyPuddle

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 11, 2010, 01:38:41 pm »

Marvel got  a little carried away back then:

Didn't Stark have a heart problem or something? ;D
[/quote]

Tony has very well manicured (and lady-like) hands lol.  He looks like Mac from 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.'

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 11, 2010, 01:45:13 pm »
If well written and properly motivated, Storm has the advantage against Magneto. That is all I wanted to say.  ;D

I remember when a non-cosmic powered Spider-Man beat the living crap out of Firelord over 20 years ago. The same Firelord who went toe-to-toe with Thor several times. I'm guessing ol' Spidey was "Properly Motivated" :D

There is a major difference between Storm and Spiderman. Spiderman doesn't have the feats under his belt to be able to take on an antagonist like Firelord and he doesn't have the powerset unless he had a weapon like the cosmic cube and you're not telling me. Storm was VERY powerful from the get go and was stated to have power equal to that of Phoenix in an interview with the creator of Phoenix even way back when. She has tons of feats under her belt that Magneto can't even begin to compare with. In the past, the only reason Magneto has ever won against Storm when they've actually come to blows is because she's held back too much out of fear of killing him (he's even admitted that if she didn't hold back, she could beat him) AND aspects of her powers are written out of the issue to weaken her so that Magneto could win. So she is still too powerful for Magneto even WHEN she's holding back so she has to be weakened on top of her holding back for him to win. The reason I said a well written and properly motivated Storm could beat him is if well written, she will have all aspects of her powers and if properly motivated, she's not going to hold back to where he can win.

You're right. You've changed my opinion. If these 2 powerful beings BOTH are properly motivated...they kill each other.
Thanks.
Peace Out!

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 11, 2010, 01:45:49 pm »
^^I wish you did not point that out about his hands, lol. The picture looks odd now.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 11, 2010, 06:49:03 pm »

Say what?

You are correct. Priest's Panther, was Stan and Jack's Panther from FF #52.

Priest Panther was also based off of Batman (and Ras Al Ghul). But the Panther was doing what they do now, back in 66. Batman is a detective with a kid side kick, while T'challa was the planning, prep master.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 11, 2010, 06:49:56 pm »

He smoking Heart Shape Herbs. :D

Offline DJfunkyPuddle

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:06 am »

He smoking Heart Shape Herbs. :D

hahaha not trying to derail the thread, but Happy Pants Panther probably turned the Spear of Bashenga into a bong  :P