Author Topic: Girl Comics!  (Read 9804 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Girl Comics!
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 07:54:03 am »
That's a little different! Isn't it XD

Not really. :)

Comics are comics, aren't they?

No;  Comic Strips rarely tell the full story within 3 panels.  They're more often scenes, chapters or jokes.  They're not full stories with beginings, middles and endings.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »

Comics are comics, aren't they?

No;  Comic Strips rarely tell the full story within 3 panels.  They're more often scenes, chapters or jokes.  They're not full stories with beginings, middles and endings.

:o

DEBATE!!!  ;D

"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 09:00:08 am »

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. 

If you look at the pages of comicbooks, ok... let's say, superhero comics.  Let's say, MARVEL comicbooks...

When you look at those pages, the stories are told in 3-4 panel scenes, or jokes especially the older MARVEL comics from the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Some are told in one page like a script but all of the pages are compiled into a book.
Well, that's the same way those comics in the newspapers are formatted.  That's why you'd see a 'compendium' or compilation of a those panels formatted into a book like Peanuts or The Boondocks.   
Spider-Man (and I think I remember seeing Howard The Duck, too) was once in the newspapers next to Beetle Bailey, y'know! ;)

Comics are comics.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 09:04:56 pm »

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. 

If you look at the pages of comicbooks, ok... let's say, superhero comics.  Let's say, MARVEL comicbooks...

When you look at those pages, the stories are told in 3-4 panel scenes, or jokes especially the older MARVEL comics from the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Some are told in one page like a script but all of the pages are compiled into a book.
Well, that's the same way those comics in the newspapers are formatted.  That's why you'd see a 'compendium' or compilation of a those panels formatted into a book like Peanuts or The Boondocks.   
Spider-Man (and I think I remember seeing Howard The Duck, too) was once in the newspapers next to Beetle Bailey, y'know! ;)

Comics are comics.

yeah, but those are just used for jokes. Right?
You couldn't tell deeper stories with such a style of only 3-4 panels.

and as for the Spiderman story you mentioned, I remember those. It took weeks ... say months to finish one story arc.

what you say is true but it only works in the case of comedy. Anything else it falls apart.
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 09:26:00 am »
what you say is true but it only works in the case of comedy. Anything else it falls apart.

No, it's not.  Everything I wrote is pretty solid and straightforward.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010, 03:41:59 pm »
Yes, Comics are Comics, but a 3 panel strip isn't necessarily a story.

A (short) story is characterized by 4 things, a plot, a setting,
characters and a theme.  Comic strips do not introduce all of these and
complete all of these within the space of 3 panels.  Characters are
usually introduced in previous episodes.  Plots are more than a single
gag. And many of their stories take days, weeks or even months to tell.

But I guess I can't totally dismiss the idea that a whole story can be
told in 3 panels, but I guess that depends on how you define "story."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 12:00:12 pm »
Yes, Comics are Comics, but a 3 panel strip isn't necessarily a story.

A (short) story is characterized by 4 things, a plot, a setting,
characters and a theme.  Comic strips do not introduce all of these and
complete all of these within the space of 3 panels.  Characters are
usually introduced in previous episodes.  Plots are more than a single
gag. And many of their stories take days, weeks or even months to tell.

Yes, it is.

A 3-4 panel comic strip does contain any of the following elements:

A plot... a setting...   ...characters and a theme.

A good  example would be The Boondocks.  Anyone who has read this comic strip when it was in syndication knows that Huey Freeman , and his brother Riley and their Grandad lived in a suburban community called Woodcrest. Their next door neighbor is Tom , Sarah Dubois and their little daughter, Jazmine.  Its common theme would be 3 main African-American characters that represent 3 different generations of the African-American experience living in the same house.  There was one plot where during the 2000 elections, Sarah kicked Tom out of the house because of their political differences which lead to Tom staying temporarily with the Freemans.  This plot was later translated to the animated version of the The Boondocks, but thatís a different topic altogether.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:54:44 am by Battle »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 02:36:24 pm »
Just the opposite; reading one days strip gives you one "chapter", one exchange of diaglogue.  To get the full story you have to read multiple days.  Stories have a Beginning, a Middle, and an End.  A single strip that continues its theme and plot into tmr's strip didn't tell the whole story in one strip. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 07:08:02 am »
Just the opposite; reading one days strip gives you one "chapter", one exchange of diaglogue.  To get the full story you have to read multiple days.  Stories have a Beginning, a Middle, and an End.  A single strip that continues its theme and plot into tmr's strip didn't tell the whole story in one strip. 

No, you're wrong.

If you want the 'whole story', you must keep reading.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 08:04:39 am »
<<No, you're wrong.If you want the 'whole story', you must keep reading.>>

By using the world "whole story" you prove my point.  You have a taste of the story a part of the story, but not the whole story.  And it is story, not stories.

But look at this way--multi-day strip is often a conversation, (which btw, is not a story).  But it is really no different than one page of a novel where the characters are talking back and worth.  Alone, the segments of that converasation are not a story.  Even the entire conversation pulled out whole is not a story..

A complete story must be whole to be a complete story.  An excerpt, a clip, segment of the whole isn't a story. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 08:19:51 am »
A complete story must be whole to be a complete story.  An excerpt, a clip, segment of the whole isn't a story. 

You're still wrong.

If what you say is true, then you should stop reading superhero comicbooks at the end of a 'part 6 of 6' story. 

...right?

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:36 am »

You're still wrong.

If what you say is true, then you should stop reading superhero comicbooks at the end of a 'part 6 of 6' story. 

...right?

Huh?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:46 am »
When you buy a comic book, and you read part 6, you have not read the whole story unless you also read parts 1 thru 5 too.  There are reasons writers say "to be continued" or "the end".  Once you hit the end, the first story is done, and the next story begins.  But you don't need to read the next story to get the whole picture of the current storyline. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 06:51:17 am »
When you buy a comic book, and you read part 6, you have not read the whole story unless you also read parts 1 thru 5 too.  There are reasons writers say "to be continued" or "the end".  Once you hit the end, the first story is done, and the next story begins.  But you don't need to read the next story to get the whole picture of the current storyline. 

Here's my point:

When it comes to comics, especially comicbooks, a 3-4 panel comic strip does contain a story.  Yeah, sure, a writer can 'end' the story of a comic or a writer can 'continue' the story but whether it is a 3-4 panel strip, a two page comic or a book that compiles both... it is still a story.
I would even say that one can tell a story in one panel.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 01:11:06 pm »
I like Manga goes for  a female audience speaking of "girl comics" btw way the best "girl comic" might be Power Girl and it needs some support.