Author Topic: Girl Comics!  (Read 9546 times)

Offline Jay

• View Profile
Girl Comics!
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:24:14 pm »
So, Marvel doing something to hopefully attract the female audience to the comic book store. An all female team of comic book writers and artists doing a comic book

That they are calling Girl Comics!

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/01/07/girl-comics-2-cover-debut-exclusive/

Anybody think it will be successful?
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Jenn

Re: Girl Comics!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:46:47 pm »
As successful as a girl Black Panther.  ::)

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:24:39 pm »
As successful as a girl Black Panther.  ::)

It just started! Give it time!  :-\
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:55:28 am »
Marvel is trying to court the indy market that they have pretty much let DC have with Vertigo.

Also they get to honor and reestablish ties fan faves like Ann Nocenti, Devin Grayson and Louise Simonson.

So the whole thing is a  win win no matter how you slice it.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:06:14 am »
I'll check it out at my LCS when it drops but by the look of the first issue's art I can tell I might not like it.

It is nice to see Marvel courting the female audience. We'll see how long this will last and how far they will go.

I'm also lovin the cover of issue 3 of this mini. All thats missing is Pulsar of course  ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:29:43 am by Tahdigga »

Jenn

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 05:54:51 pm »
It just started! Give it time!  :-\

Here's a wild suggestion: why not put these competent female writers on comics that they would normally give to men? Hell, Black Panther is about to re-re-re-relaunch any day...

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:44:20 pm »
um the Nannites won't let them  ;)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:07:50 pm »
It just started! Give it time!  :-\

Here's a wild suggestion: why not put these competent female writers on comics that they would normally give to men? Hell, Black Panther is about to re-re-re-relaunch any day...

They gave Louise Simonson X-Factor Forever.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:31:27 am »
So, Marvel doing something to hopefully attract the female audience to the comic book store. An all female team of comic book writers and artists doing a comic book

I don't know, it seems that most women/young girls aren't that into comic books. Yes, I know that manga/anime has a big female market/readership, but for the "mainstream" stuff, it seems more exception rather then the rule. I have 2 daughters(14 and 5 years old) and about 30,000 comics in the basement and a extra bedroom. They're just not interested, neither are their friends(female AND male). They KNOW the characters (because of me), will watch the cartoons(with me), but on their own, they and their friends have other things they find more interesting. I used to buy Spider-Girl for my oldest, she liked it, but she wasn't pressed about it, and stated she rather spend her allowance on a novel(with a complete story) or magazine over a $3.99 comic book that she can read in about 5 minutes or less. Maybe it's just in my area (Baltimore/DC Metro). Maybe ASKING women/young girls what THEY'D like to see in a Superheroine (outfit, powers, background, etc.).

Sorry for rambling.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 07:42:16 am »

I don't know, it seems that most women/young girls aren't that into comic books. Yes, I know that manga/anime has a big female market/readership, but for the "mainstream" stuff, it seems more exception rather then the rule. I have 2 daughters(14 and 5 years old) and about 30,000 comics in the basement and a extra bedroom. They're just not interested, neither are their friends(female AND male). They KNOW the characters (because of me), will watch the cartoons(with me), but on their own, they and their friends have other things they find more interesting. I used to buy Spider-Girl for my oldest, she liked it, but she wasn't pressed about it, and stated she rather spend her allowance on a novel(with a complete story) or magazine over a $3.99 comic book that she can read in about 5 minutes or less. Maybe it's just in my area (Baltimore/DC Metro). Maybe ASKING women/young girls what THEY'D like to see in a Superheroine (outfit, powers, background, etc.).

Sorry for rambling.

MY. GOD. :o

Does everybody on the HEF but me have a separate room for all thier cool stuff?  :'(

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:00:20 am »

Sorry for rambling.

MY. GOD. :o

Does everybody on the HEF but me have a separate room for all thier cool stuff?  :'(

Um...YES!  ;D

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:06:16 am »
I used to buy Spider-Girl for my oldest, she liked it, but she wasn't pressed about it, and stated she rather spend her allowance on a novel(with a complete story) or magazine over a $3.99 comic book that she can read in about 5 minutes or less.

3.99! I think that's killing the industry more then anything. I know Marvel hopes to get new younger readers but I think the biggest obstacle is to expect people with limited income (kids) to spend that money on a single comic. I think it's better to buy the trades.

If so, do you guys think it will work/sell better as a trade rather then a single issue. It seems more people are into buying trades anyway.

Offline Cage

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 12:41:11 pm »

3.99! I think that's killing the industry more then anything.

It seems more people are into buying trades anyway.

Its. The only way to get a frikkin story.  Its like a writer can't tell as story in 1 book.  I miss my Savage Sword of Conan Days.
I ventured into the courtyard followed by 52 brothers bruised battered and scarred but hard.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 12:51:56 pm »

Its. The only way to get a frikkin story.  Its like a writer can't tell a story in 1 book.  I miss my Savage Sword of Conan Days.

I think it's really hard to tell a story in 36 pages! The art is suppose to say a thousand words but most artist just don't do that. Not in comics anyway. Especially, when I bet you have an editor that's telling writers to drag out a story to get more of your money.

Although, I think they are doing amazing things with Thor!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:48 pm »
Stan Lee had a saying that evey comc bought was somebody first so you had to let the reader know everything he/she needed to know in about the character in each and every issue.

That's why you used to get so many recaps and "see last issue" boxes in your old comics.

Then Jim Shooter came along and said no story no matter how good it was needed to be longer than three issues and that's if you were a freaking genius. Everybody else had to do it in two issues or else.

Now that he's gone and the inmates are running the asylum writers can be as self-indulgent as they want. They let dudes drone on and on and say "it'll read better in the trade".

I can go to the biggest bookstore I can find and the trade section is always 1/4 of the size of the Manga section.

Trades aren't exactly selling like hotcakes, is my point.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:32:35 am by Vic Vega »