Author Topic: MILESTONE FOREVER  (Read 6132 times)

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: MILESTONE FOREVER
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 11:01:07 pm »
Thought this was the right place to put this McDuffie comment from The V:

Black kids are the only ones who watched Static, Dwayne.  And everyone knows black kids don't like toys.
You joke, but I was actually told that "African American parents don't buy their children toys" by a consultant for one of the biggest toy companies in the world. I told him that was because empty syringes and loaded handguns were so plentiful for us to play with.

Let's ignore for a moment that Static Shock's audience was over 70% white. This guy told me, the only black guy in the room, that black people don't love their kids, or even want their kids to stop whining at the grocery store.

Static Shock is a thirteen year-old property with a comic book and a TV show that's never had action figures, even in the DC Direct line, it's clearly no match in popularity for Storm, Aquaman's f*cking seahorse, who has had an action figure. There's never been a poster. There's never been a tee-shirt. There's never been a sticker.

What there has been is viewers, millions of them. On the Kids WB, on Cartoon Network, and today, on Disney XD.

That is just sad.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 11:37:48 pm »
Out of curiosity, I picked up an issue of Teen Titans featuring Static, which I had been avoiding for some time. 

I read it.  It was a terrible comic book in general, but damn what a waste of Static. 

The ongoing abuse of the Milestone line is criminal. 

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 06:52:55 am »
Out of curiosity, I picked up an issue of Teen Titans featuring Static, which I had been avoiding for some time. 

I read it.  It was a terrible comic book in general, but damn what a waste of Static. 

Teen Titans has been horrible since Geoff Johns left...i keep hoping he'll return.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 10:05:32 am »

Teen Titans is disappointing, but the latest issue is the debut of the new writer, who was originally brought on board to write a Static mini series. Her first issue is set in Dakota, and focusses on Virgil's twin lives, civilian and hero. It's also generally better written, so it might be worth a second look. One thing I don't get about Titans is the hard-on they have for Ravager - until recently she was the focus of nearly every story, and still appears in a backup strip, but I really don't get the appeal myself.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 11:05:50 am »

Teen Titans is disappointing, but the latest issue is the debut of the new writer, who was originally brought on board to write a Static mini series. Her first issue is set in Dakota, and focusses on Virgil's twin lives, civilian and hero. It's also generally better written, so it might be worth a second look. One thing I don't get about Titans is the hard-on they have for Ravager - until recently she was the focus of nearly every story, and still appears in a backup strip, but I really don't get the appeal myself.

She's what Wolverine would be if Woverine were 18 year old Jailbait. They must figure such a comination (Violence, Boobs) could not fail.

Anyway...

Milestone Forever was not very reader friendly. You would have had to have been reading nearly the entire line to get what was happening. How many people even remember that Dharma CAUSED the Big Bang let alone what the Big Bang even is. The project could have used a text page and a map of Dakota.

It seems that everything Milestone related gets the shaft. From that bizarre story McDuffie told to the way MF was marketed. Why two prestige format issues instead of 4 regular comics (which would have gotten the budget consious on board)?

Now that I think of it, the only Milestone related item i've ever seen was the Milestone Universe Trading Cards.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 03:44:27 pm »
I'll pick up the TPB eventually.. but I hope the individual issues sell very well.. and I hope that the Milestone characters get a genuine push from DC editorial asap..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 04:55:12 pm »
I'll pick up the TPB eventually.. but I hope the individual issues sell very well.. and I hope that the Milestone characters get a genuine push from DC editorial asap..

Don't hold your breath....

About Teen Titans, I haven't been too impressed with the book lately either, though I'm sticking with it as long as Felicia Henderson is writing it, though I hope the storylines improve soon. I wasn't bowled over by the new Static-centric story. Not enough urgency in this virus storyline to prompt the Titans to all get involved. I think they should've gone with another threat, or related it back to Blackest Night. So far I think its been an uneasy introduction of Static into mainstream DC. DC mishandled putting this character on when he was really popular and had a TV show, etc. and now they are trying to play catch up way too late. I don't know if current audiences are going to get what's so special about him in his current DC incarnation to begin with. So far we know he kicked ass in the Darkside Club, but that's about it. I didn't read Static, though I have the TPB (which I haven't read either) and I barely watched the cartoon, so I'm not quite seeing what the 'hoopla' if you can call it that is necessarily about.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 05:02:47 pm »
Read Issue #2. I liked it better than the first one. Really enjoyed the Hardware story, but thought the Static one was meh. I still think this should've been a bigger, Crisis of Infinite Earths type of joint for the Milestone characters, but oh well.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 05:47:06 pm »
I liked both.  Loved the HARDWARE story.  The STATIC story made me sad that he was all grown up, although I was glad to see him happy.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 09:18:54 am »
Teen Titans has been horrible since Geoff Johns left...i keep hoping he'll return.

Not while he's writing his current 100 books  a month, I hope. The crappiness of Flash:Rebirth, GL's Blackest Night issues and BL itself tells me he's spreading himself too thin...
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 10:32:19 am »

Not while he's writing his current 100 books  a month, I hope. The crappiness of Flash:Rebirth, GL's Blackest Night issues and BL itself tells me he's spreading himself too thin...

I've gotta disagree.  Flash Rebirth was not the best story and probably would have worked better as the first 8 issues in the Flash book but I still think its better than 90% of the stuff out there.  I've loved evefrything about Blackest Night.  However, I do agree that he has been stretching himself too thin.  With his Superman and Adventure Comics over I hope he can get back to basics and rock the Flash and GL monthlies.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 01:08:31 am »
Taken together the Milestone Forever  specials are a thank you letter to the imprint's fans as it gives a definte ending to all the character's stories.

I guess that was a good way to since DC will eat dirt before it will ever promote that  line.

Notice how they are trying to relaunch Doc Savage yet again.