Author Topic: Doomwar # 2 Preview  (Read 10900 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Doomwar # 2 Preview
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 06:04:21 am »
See, all those people who were worried that Nightcrawler was written out of character about the killing--this is a perfect way to show his reaction to it, without belaboring the point.  (I mean, I agree, Kurt would not be totally at ease with the killing, but this reaction is exactly what I'd expect.)

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 07:08:02 am »
See, all those people who were worried that Nightcrawler was written out of character about the killing--this is a perfect way to show his reaction to it, without belaboring the point.  (I mean, I agree, Kurt would not be totally at ease with the killing, but this reaction is exactly what I'd expect.)

While I agree it's in character for Kurt to show some reaction, I doesn't always need to or is shown.

I don't remember Kurt saying anything when Colossus killed Proteus, or saying anything about Peter snapping riptides neck during Mutant Massacre. There have been plenty of times where someone has killed someone else and kurt has said nothing.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 07:10:47 am »

While I agree it's in character for Kurt to show some reaction, I doesn't always need to or is shown.

I don't remember Kurt saying anything when Colossus killed Proteus, or saying anything about Peter snapping riptides neck during Mutant Massacre. There have been plenty of times where someone has killed someone else and kurt has said nothing.

in Mutant Mascare he was nearly killed, and iirc it was before Peter killed.  and no i didnt NEED to see that reaction, but it did fit.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 07:33:58 am »
they were worried for no reason. It isnt an integral part of the story.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 07:50:47 am »

in Mutant Mascare he was nearly killed, and iirc it was before Peter killed.  and no i didnt NEED to see that reaction, but it did fit.

I know he was taken out before Peter killed riptide but it wasn't followed up on when they were healing up on Muir island.

I guarantee you the same people who are always nitpicking things to death will be doing so today after the next issue is released. They'll find something, they always do.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:09 am »
BP and Storm fans do the same thing when someone doesn't write them as they think they should be.  (Most recently I did the same thing when I saw Red Ghost take out BP without a struggle and BP looked scared to me when he was captured.)

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 08:03:05 am »
BP and Storm fans do the same thing when someone doesn't write them as they think they should be.  (Most recently I did the same thing when I saw Red Ghost take out BP without a struggle and BP looked scared to me when he was captured.)

But there's a difference between not liking how a character is portrayed and not liking a character reacting to some situations the exact same way each and every time.

Expecting Kurt to be shocked or stunned everytime someone is killed would be like going into a long exposition about Mystique being his mother every time he sees her. I remember Ed Brubaker saying that was on of the things he hated about writing the X-Books. Just because he didn't make it a point acknowledge every single thing is X-men history people acted as if he didn't know.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 08:23:08 am »
My issue with that is-consider who his teammates are.

Logan and Psylocke kill on the regular.

I had no problem with his reaction but I would not have complained if there had been no reaction.

Kurt's the first guy in the story to bring up the possibility of fatalities.

Then a little later Shuri gives her "Surrender or else!" speech to the Desturi.

It not like what happened after was a surprise for Kurt in that context.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 10:22:38 am »

I know he was taken out before Peter killed riptide but it wasn't followed up on when they were healing up on Muir island.

I guarantee you the same people who are always nitpicking things to death will be doing so today after the next issue is released. They'll find something, they always do.

I agree..
Pull List

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 10:30:42 am »
BP and Storm fans do the same thing when someone doesn't write them as they think they should be.  (Most recently I did the same thing when I saw Red Ghost take out BP without a struggle and BP looked scared to me when he was captured.)

Theres a difference between being JOBBED (which BP was in Hlk 20) & Kurt not having heart attack/laying down & crying for something that both Logan, Colossus, and yellow faced Psylocke have down in front of him. And what Iceman, Magik, Lorna,  Havok & etc have also done while being his team mates. Also more X-Men have killed those are just one I can think of while he was around, or near or on the same team with at the time.  

Now if Kurt was written as only being able to move one person at a time in DW or BP then I'd agree with you about it being the same or being something for fans to be mad about..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:33:22 am by 4sake »
Pull List

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:12 am »
Well, on CBR I called them all out. There is nothing to nitpick about. Doomwar #2 was awesome.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:52 am »
No there isn't.  You think it was bad portyal of BP, they think it is a bad protrayal of Nightcrawler.  It is the same thing.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 10:37:24 am »
But it's not a  bad protrayal of Nightcrawler. It just some folk do nitpick things to death. They nitpick without using there heads. This is a 6 issue series. So the nitpickers on the Nightcrawler issue, look pretty stupid after Doomwar #2.

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 10:44:12 am »
But it's not a  bad protrayal of Nightcrawler. It just some folk do nitpick things to death. They nitpick without using there heads. This is a 6 issue series. So the nitpickers on the Nightcrawler issue, look pretty stupid after Doomwar #2.

Exactly. Now if Nightcrawler had been in there snapping necks with and yelling "kill them all" i'd agree but considering early in that same issue he voiced his discomfort with the killing he knew was probably going to take place and how he doesn't always bring up how he's against killing when various X-Men are doing it I don't see the problem.

If I recall correctly didn't he try and kill Magik not too long ago?

Offline Shade

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:00 am »

Pretty much. After reading #2 everything that  people nitpicked about Nightcrawler and Doom has been put to rest here. NC even tried to scold Shuri about her killings and the image she would have as ruler. And Doom was pretty much bluffing on the threats in the end.
Kiss the sky!