Author Topic: Justice League of America:Crisis on Two Earths  (Read 3917 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Justice League of America:Crisis on Two Earths
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 02:23:50 pm »
Perez, Jiminez (need to reread them) were the best.  Rucka bored me when I did read it.  Just read a tpb one one of Simone's.  Liked more than disliked.  The Nemesis relationship...didn't work for me. 

For people who liked the smashing, Byrne's run (until she died n was reborn) was action pack.  So was the previous run that gave us Artemis WW.

But WW's most sucessful run in media isn't a comic book, it's the 1970's TV series.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 06:00:31 pm »
I liked the deepness of Rucka's WW, it was literary and actually made you think. Diana was regal but approachable and would go to any lengths to get the job done. She was a skull cracking, trill warrior and a political heavyweight. It started slow and it was a little like "the Wonder West Wing" at first (like the detractors said). But then Rucka found his footing and gave us epic battles and a majestic quest through the underworld. It was a lot like Thor in that sense. She was DC's monster killer and she didn't apologize for it. She just handed them their heads and dealt with the consequences later.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 08:48:58 am »
One problem I've ALWAYS noticed with Wonder Woman is that she's always a guest star in her own book, be it by actual guest stars, or an immense amount of supporting characters. New writers jettisoning what the previous one did for a "who IS Wonder Woman...really? This time?" story is just as annoying, but not as annoying as that. Superman has a love interest (Lois), best friend/pal (Jimmy), and a boss (Perry). Batman has his sidekick (Robin) and his father figure (Alfred). Keep it simple. This is one of the reasons why I've always been baffled they didn't de-age Steve Trevor and Etta Candy. One is a love interest who by the very nature of going with a super powered woman challenges the tropes of male/female relationships in society, and of course the good old fashioned best friend, respectively. You kinda got Nemesis filling in the Steve Trevor role, but he's in a way a loaner since he wasn't one of the original supporting characters created by Marston.

It kinda makes me wonder if writers are afraid that with a barebones supporting cast of 2-3 there isn't that much of a buffer for readers to see what WW is REALLY like, and that they may think she is boring?

To me, it seems so easy to make WW work. The secret identity, the military setting (none of this spy/secret cabal stuff), 2-3 supporting characters. The only hard part is to make WW herself seem fun and not some nun like she sometimes come across as. Reading the old Marston stuff, she seemed fun, but I think folks got too caught up in the bondage elements and as a result subsequent writers threw out the baby with the bath water.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:51:41 am by BPStorm4ever »
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »
This was very good I really enjoyed it, I hope McD does another DCAU soon. I's love for Batman Beyond to go monthly and he write it.

That Owlman was fun wasn't he?