Author Topic: Chris Evan as Captain America  (Read 9877 times)

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Evan as Captain America
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 07:48:40 am »
More confidence in Hugo than in Evans.  This studio is moving from the the idea that has worked--BIG name in the title role.  Evans is not a BIG name. 

Neither was Tobey Maguire.

Not to mention the actor playing Thor is an unknown. And while Downey Jr. was well known (mostly for his drugged out antics) he'd never been a box office star until Iron Man.

No way is Marvel trying to have big names in all the roles. They are only trying to pay so much for that Avengers flick.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 08:21:34 am »
they signed Weaving before they got Evans.  I would have loved to see Matt Damon or even Mark Valley in the role.  That being said, I think Evans will do an OK job.

being the Mark Valley fan that I am... i think he would have made a really good Cap.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 08:45:57 am »
Tobey and Jackman were in movies for different studios.  Going with the big names started with this studio and Iron Man.  It worked well for both Hulk and Iron Man.

Thor hasn't come out so we don't know if it will work as well with a lesser known star.

And RDJ was a big star long before Iron Man.  Air America, Chaplin, Ally McBiel, etc.  And for stars, being famous for bad behavior still gives them Star power.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000375/

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12:34 am »
being the Mark Valley fan that I am... i think he would have made a really good Cap.

I think he's a little old for Cap in an origin flick.

And RDJ was a big star long before Iron Man.  Air America, Chaplin, Ally McBiel, etc.  And for stars, being famous for bad behavior still gives them Star power.

"Big" star or not he was never a box office star until Iron Man. The movie revived his career...and would've done well even without him, IMO.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 11:05:33 am »

I think he's a little old for Cap in an origin flick.

THIS IS TRUE. LIKE I SAID, I'M A MARK VALLEY FAN.  KEEN EDDIE, ANYONE?

And RDJ was a big star long before Iron Man.  Air America, Chaplin, Ally McBiel, etc.  And for stars, being famous for bad behavior still gives them Star power.

"Big" star or not he was never a box office star until Iron Man. The movie revived his career...and would've done well even without him, IMO.

I AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT. IRON MAN PUT HIM OVER THE TOP! IT MADE PPL LOOOOOOVE HIM FOR HIS EXTRAORDINARY ABILITIES AND NOT HIS BAD BOY IMAGE.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 03:40:24 pm »
If not for Iron Man RDJ would have been doing James Toback films for the duration.

Which isn't a BAD thing,  mind you.

But at least 'Ol boy has options now.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 04:36:49 pm »
What everyone keeps forgetting is that whoever they get to be Captain America has to agree to sign A NINE PICTURE DEAL. 3 Captain America movies, 3 Avengers movies, and 3 cameos in other Marvel Studios's projects. That's a decade's worth of movies, so they need someone YOUNG who will age INTO the role. Chris is 28 now, by the time the last of the 9 projects roles around, he'll be either 37 or 38. Still youngish looking to be believable.

Matt Damon is going to be 40 this year.
Mark Valley is going to be 46.

Everyone else's favorite fanboy pick is too old with this criteria, as well as too much of a big name star to NOT balk at the idea of a nine picture deal, unlike Evans whose acting career isn't really going anywhere at the moment. They need a name, but not too big of a name because of that. That's why an unknown won't do, either.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Joel Mangrum

• View Profile
    • The Dollar Bin
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 04:52:29 pm »
I'm not thrilled with the pick but not disappointed.  It HAS to be better than the 1990's Cap movie that had the president of the US picking up an uzi to help out.  So far Marvel's been batting 90% (really?  you couldn't bring back Terence Howard?) so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. 
Dollar Bin Podcaster

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 06:17:26 pm »
I'm just glad it wasn't Channing Tatum.  I would've boycotted that film.  :D  That guy is a black hole of talent.  Of their nominees, Chris Evans is probably the best of the bunch.
Joel, you thought Terence Howard made a good Rhodey?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 08:16:25 pm »
I agree that a young actor was needed for the role. Steve Rogers wasn't a young adult who got zapped into his thirties. The super serum only transformed his weak physique.

The whole franchise deal thing has become a problem, IMHO. They're emphasize a need for younger actors. But it's becoming less plausible for them to play capable heroes. For example fans thought the next James Bond should be younger, which defeats the character. 007 was written to be an experienced naval officer who qualified for spy work. His military career gave him the exposure to different languages and field work. So Bond was in his late 30's or early 40's. Thus he is an older man.

Donner's Superman spent his 20's training in the Fortress of Solitude. He left as Superman at the age of 30. Nolan's Bruce Wayne also returned to Gotham before his 30th birthday. Fans complained at how that would affect the appearance of Robin, but it was reasonable detail. If they ever have a Wonder Woman film I expect they'll be wise enough to cast a mature actress.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 08:12:56 am »

At this point I have more misgivings about the Director than the cast.

what did you think about Johnston's Wolfman?  I dug it but it felt abruptly paced in certain spots..

I'm not familiar with all his films.. I liked Jurassic Park 3, but I felt it was too short..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 09:21:31 am »
What everyone keeps forgetting is that whoever they get to be Captain America has to agree to sign A NINE PICTURE DEAL. 3 Captain America movies, 3 Avengers movies, and 3 cameos in other Marvel Studios's projects. That's a decade's worth of movies, so they need someone YOUNG who will age INTO the role. Chris is 28 now, by the time the last of the 9 projects roles around, he'll be either 37 or 38. Still youngish looking to be believable.

Matt Damon is going to be 40 this year.
Mark Valley is going to be 46.

Everyone else's favorite fanboy pick is too old with this criteria, as well as too much of a big name star to NOT balk at the idea of a nine picture deal, unlike Evans whose acting career isn't really going anywhere at the moment. They need a name, but not too big of a name because of that. That's why an unknown won't do, either.

BPStorm, i feel u.
don't get it twisted, i know about the films he has to commit to.  It makes sense to go young...i just wanted to let y'all know i like Mark Valley.
lol.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:45:03 am by Mastrmynd »

Offline Joel Mangrum

• View Profile
    • The Dollar Bin
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:12 am »
Joel, you thought Terence Howard made a good Rhodey?

Loaded question.  Even though he didn't look that much like Rhodey to me he was believable enough that I could let it slide and enjoy the movie.  Don Cheadle is a better actor but he doesn't look like Rhodey in the slightest.  They should have given Terence Howard the bump in pay and kept things going instead of trying to save a dollar if for no other reason they had a contract.  
Dollar Bin Podcaster

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 10:37:02 am »
Yeah, I thought Terrance Howard worked as Rhodey as well in Iron Man.  Why the switch?
For whatever reasons, Don Cheadle standing into the role of Rhodey can work also in Iron Man 2 but the switch can potentially alienate the two movies.

Just like what happened in the Matrix series with the Oracle being replaced with another actress. Well, O.K...  maybe that wasn't a good example as the previous actress passed away but y' know um sayin'...? :-\

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 11:27:54 am »
Yeah, I thought Terrance Howard worked as Rhodey as well in Iron Man.  Why the switch?
For whatever reasons, Don Cheadle standing into the role of Rhodey can work also in Iron Man 2 but the switch can potentially alienate the two movies.

Just like what happened in the Matrix series with the Oracle being replaced with another actress. Well, O.K...  maybe that wasn't a good example as the previous actress passed away but y' know um sayin'...? :-\

From what I hear, Terrance was the highest paid actor on the set, even higher than RD Jr.  when negotiations for the second movie came out, they couldn't work out a deal. 

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."