Author Topic: BILL TO BAN SOCIAL NETWORKING FOR SEX OFFENDERS  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
BILL TO BAN SOCIAL NETWORKING FOR SEX OFFENDERS
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:40:22 pm »
Bill to ban social networking for sex offenders
 Today at 8:37am | Edit Note | Delete

Mike Kepka / The ChronicleSan Francisco Chronicle, March 2, 2010 by Marisa Lagos

(03-02) 04:00 PST Sacramento --

Sex offenders in California would be barred from using social networking Web sites such as Facebook and MySpace under a proposed law aimed at making the Internet safer for children as more and more of them flock to the Web.

Citing horrific cases in which children were sexually assaulted by men they met online, Assemblywoman Norma Torres, D-Pomona (Los Angeles County) introduced the bill last month, which would make it a crime for Californian's 63,000 registered sex offenders to use any social networking site. The proposed law defines those as a Web site "designed with the intent of allowing users to build networks or connect with other people and that provides means for users to connect over the Internet."

Assembly Bill 2208 is similar to legislation passed last year in Illinois, but doesn't go quite as far as a New York state law that additionally requires sex offenders to register their e-mail addresses and online aliases with state authorities, who can then turn over the names to the companies that run the social networking sites. After the New York law passed, 3,500 sex offenders were purged from MySpace and Facebook by the Internet companies.

All of the laws depend to some extent on the assumption that sex offenders will police themselves.

San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris, who is sponsoring the measure, acknowledged that the proposed law isn't a fail-safe measure, but said it will offer a deterrent to sex offenders who do not want to return to jail. Harris, who specialized in child sexual assault cases as a courtroom prosecutor, said it will also create more public awareness around the issue and give law enforcement another tool.

"The carrot is don't get on these sites, and the stick is we will prosecute you," said Harris, who is running for state attorney general. "In my experience, these types of predators are a slimy group and they don't want to go to jail, and what we're telling them is that if you go online and start chatting with my 12-year-old niece, you're going to jail."

The number of users on social networking sites has doubled since 2007, Torres said, and many of those users are children. She noted that just last month, a 33-year-old man lured a 12-year-old girl to a hotel in Anaheim, where she was sexually assaulted.

Facebook attorney Chris Kelly, another attorney general hopeful, said the law is a good first step but noted that it is often difficult for social networking sites to identify sex offenders without knowing how they identify themselves online.

"It's a good start," he said. "But it needs to be strengthened."

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: BILL TO BAN SOCIAL NETWORKING FOR SEX OFFENDERS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:22:14 am »
Wow another law that doesn't provide any rights at all for sex offenders. What make things sad in cases like these that a drug dealer has a better chance in obtaining employment than a sex offender. Here is the thing I'm trying to understand, why do we see pictures of sex offenders online but don't see pictures of drug dealers, murders & other serious offensives online as well?

When it comes to "providing safety for our kids" these politicians come up with some stupid messes. No matter how hard you try you cant stop these people. If they cant go to the social networking, then they can do instant messaging. The same thing goes for providing their email. They can just provide a fake email that they don't use. Unless they go to the extreme of tracking them through their IP addresses it is a joke.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:33:55 am »
Or, how about limiting the kids' access to such sites?  Last I heard, they were minors.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:38:57 am »
Or, how about limiting the kids' access to such sites?  Last I heard, they were minors.

Boom.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:59:52 am »
Wow another law that doesn't provide any rights at all for sex offenders. What make things sad in cases like these that a drug dealer has a better chance in obtaining employment than a sex offender. Here is the thing I'm trying to understand, why do we see pictures of sex offenders online but don't see pictures of drug dealers, murders & other serious offensives online as well?
Why is access to Facebook a "right"?
Protecting children from predators or at least removing one tool from convicted child molesters seems like a good thing to me.
Do you really want to get into a drug dealers vs. sex offenders defense?

When it comes to "providing safety for our kids" these politicians come up with some stupid messes. No matter how hard you try you cant stop these people. If they cant go to the social networking, then they can do instant messaging. The same thing goes for providing their email. They can just provide a fake email that they don't use. Unless they go to the extreme of tracking them through their IP addresses it is a joke.
And therefore, what? We should give up and do nothing? Shouldn't we do whatever is possible?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:02:33 am »
Is there something about social networking that is inherently adult?
I'm all for teaching children to use the Internet safely and well. Learning to swim, if you will.
I'm also for keeping the piranhas out of the swimming pool.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:33:49 am »
Protecting children from predators or at least removing one tool from convicted child molesters seems like a good thing to me.
Is it truly necessary to provide a "ban" from social networking sites? Do you actually have a blind delusion that it would prevent these offenders from using other options? Instant Messaging, Forums, Phone Lines & anything else that can be used. 

And therefore, what? We should give up and do nothing? Shouldn't we do whatever is possible?
Like what? keep em in prison so we don't have to worry about them any longer? Slap a sign on their front door and say "sex offender"? Why just "ban" from social networking why not ban them from the internet entirely? Why just half step it if people are so concerned about these "offenders"? Send a text message that goes out to say "hey a sex offender is moving to your area" OOPS my mistake that happens now

When does it end when it comes to the "safety of our children"? Politicians didn't do their homework (as usual) before enacting these sex offender laws. Myths are created about sex offenders and dont try to deal with the problem. It does more harm than good and it lead to harassment, ostracism and even violence against former offenders. There are no easy answers to this problem.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:44:19 am »
Personally, I think these vile and violent sex offenders should be banned from the planet.  That is all.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:47:38 am »
Personally, I think these vile and violent sex offenders should be banned from the planet.  That is all.
at least you're being honest lol

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 11:54:16 am »
at least you're being honest lol

Yeah, it's the only way I can be.   ;D

If I had my way, certain sex offenences, home invasions and certain drug crimes would be capital offenses punishable by death... preferably public.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 12:17:24 pm »
What's at issue here is the alleged rights of an ex-convict.

Akuma, is correct in pointing out that we cannot go to a website and find out how many ex-convict stick-up kids or murderers live near us.

Either there’s a reasonably clean slate upon release from the joint or there’s not. 

When it comes to folks kids, however you can well understand their concerns.

I don't know what the answer is.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 01:51:44 pm »
What's at issue here is the alleged rights of an ex-convict.

Akuma, is correct in pointing out that we cannot go to a website and find out how many ex-convict stick-up kids or murderers live near us.

Either there’s a reasonably clean slate upon release from the joint or there’s not. 

When it comes to folks kids, however you can well understand their concerns.

I don't know what the answer is.

I pretty much agree 100% with everything you said.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:54:58 am »
Is there something about social networking that is inherently adult?
I'm all for teaching children to use the Internet safely and well. Learning to swim, if you will.
I'm also for keeping the piranhas out of the swimming pool.

I think treating adults as if they were children is part of the problem. 
In other words, why regulate [all] adults on FaceBook with the same standard as you would children?

Offline voodooplaya37

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 03:37:04 am »
Is it truly necessary to provide a "ban" from social networking sites? Do you actually have a blind delusion that it would prevent these offenders from using other options? Instant Messaging, Forums, Phone Lines & anything else that can be used. 

Like what? keep em in prison so we don't have to worry about them any longer? Slap a sign on their front door and say "sex offender"? Why just "ban" from social networking why not ban them from the internet entirely? Why just half step it if people are so concerned about these "offenders"? Send a text message that goes out to say "hey a sex offender is moving to your area" OOPS my mistake that happens now

When does it end when it comes to the "safety of our children"? Politicians didn't do their homework (as usual) before enacting these sex offender laws. Myths are created about sex offenders and dont try to deal with the problem. It does more harm than good and it lead to harassment, ostracism and even violence against former offenders. There are no easy answers to this problem.

When is the internet a right? its called freedom of expression. and where does personal responsibility come in? the more power you give to the government to "protect" you the more personal power you lose. my children are ultimately my responsibility. not the governments, not the law makers, the fearmongers, but mine. government by its very nature is a misplaced trust...

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 06:22:47 am »
When is the internet a right? its called freedom of expression. and where does personal responsibility come in? the more power you give to the government to "protect" you the more personal power you lose. my children are ultimately my responsibility. not the governments, not the law makers, the fearmongers, but mine. government by its very nature is a misplaced trust...
Huh? Mang that what I said in my post.