Author Topic: Banks vs Credit Unions  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Jay

• View Profile
Banks vs Credit Unions
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:12:31 pm »
So I decided to put my money in Credit Union. Non for Profit Organization.

And I was wondering if others were doing something similar and why? Is a Big Bank better to go with? Smaller Bank? Credit Union?

I hear that Credit Unions offer better rates on loans and stuff but I was wondering if there were any more advantage to them besides a higher interest rate on savings. Probably because there a not for profit organizations but I really don't know much about them other then those few things. I researched things and think I've made a wise choice but I would like to ask the rest of you guys out there about it.

Where do you guys put your money and why?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:29:58 am by Jay »
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Jay

• View Profile
Re: Banks vs Credit Unions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:30:47 am »
Come on! Nobody has ever used a credit union?!  ???
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:16:28 am »
Most credit unions are member based and only for government workers or in state college students. For example, here in maryland we have the State Employees Credit Union or SECU. Basically is the state bank for state employees. However, credit unions are a bit more strict when it comes to loans and the such since their memberships are much smaller. To add ATMs are small in number since one doesnt see as many.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:07:34 pm »
Most credit unions are member based and only for government workers or in state college students. For example, here in maryland we have the State Employees Credit Union or SECU. Basically is the state bank for state employees. However, credit unions are a bit more strict when it comes to loans and the such since their memberships are much smaller. To add ATMs are small in number since one doesnt see as many.

Isn't that ANY small financial place to hold money? You know, you can have a big credit union like Navy Federal Credit Union which any member of the armed force can join. Or former members of the armed forces. That would make for a huge F'ing lot of people.  ;)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:14:14 pm »

Isn't that ANY small financial place to hold money? You know, you can have a big credit union like Navy Federal Credit Union which any member of the armed force can join. Or former members of the armed forces. That would make for a huge F'ing lot of people.  ;)
That is the thing, only a select few can join the local credit union. A non military member cannot join NFCU just like non state workers cant join SECU unless it is their spouse or dependent child.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:09:56 pm »
Okay okay. I know that already.

What I'm really asking is for personalized experience for people who left banks and/or credit unions to join the other. Did you find it to have better service or what? That's the only piece of info I can't find is people's dealing between the two. Easier to get a loan at a smaller bank or a big bank? 

I've heard that small banks are more personal and friendly and they have less red tape which works in the consumers benefits.

I have also heard that a big bank it's easier to get a loan because they have more money and more people. So they are better then small banks.

I heard a lot of different things and now I just want to know point blank ... HAS anyone ever here switched and had a better experience or were they about the same.  :-\

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:21:14 am »
Okay okay. I know that already.

What I'm really asking is for personalized experience for people who left banks and/or credit unions to join the other. Did you find it to have better service or what? That's the only piece of info I can't find is people's dealing between the two. Easier to get a loan at a smaller bank or a big bank? 

I've heard that small banks are more personal and friendly and they have less red tape which works in the consumers benefits.

I have also heard that a big bank it's easier to get a loan because they have more money and more people. So they are better then small banks.

I heard a lot of different things and now I just want to know point blank ... HAS anyone ever here switched and had a better experience or were they about the same.  :-\

Jay,
I use both, but my Primary banking is done thru the State Dept. credit union. Overall, I've had a better experience dealing with credit unions especially, when it comes to loans and investments. After graduating, my first account was thru SECU of Maryland, which offers membership to graduates of Maryland Colleges and Universities. In 20 years, I've had many accounts and the majority have been CU accounts and from my experience, I would rank CU's better than larger banks.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:35:23 am »
Come on! Nobody has ever used a credit union?!  ???

I don't use anything but...  Local is usually best, but I've found they are more competitive with interest rates and lending and just... friendlier.

Besides, how many credit unions had to take bailout money?