Author Topic: Halle to portray a white woman  (Read 4909 times)

sunjata

Halle to portray a white woman
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:37:58 am »
We were recently discussing the controversies involving Angelina Jolie’s upcoming movie in which she will portray a biracial woman and the casting of a white actor to portray a black man in the World Trade Center movie so I thought this development might interest some.

From the Dark Horizons website
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/061005k.php

Halle Berry Is A "Class Act"
Posted:   Thursday October 5th 2006 12:56am
Source:   Variety
Author:   Garth Franklin 

Halle Berry has signed on to star in "Class Act" for DreamWorks, and Doug Atchison has come on board to write and direct the true life tale reports Variety.

Berry will play Tierney Cahill, a teacher from Reno, Nev., who took a challenge from her sixth-grade students to run for Congress in the 2000 elections on the condition that they would help run her campaign. The single mother ultimately lost her bid to an incumbent, but she ended up winning 35% of the popular vote.

Casting is a unique move for Hollywood, in that Cahill is a white woman. A source close to the film said that when actresses were being bandied about, they felt it was more important to find the right actress to play the role rather than the right white actress. Production aims to begin in May or June.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Halle to portray a white woman
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:08:26 am »
Halle played another role meant for a White woman in "The Rich Man's Wife"...because of her very light skin tone she is able to do that and most people find it acceptable (think things would be very different for her if she were 5 shades darker).

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:33:16 am »
It's becoming a bit more common. The Rock has played the Doom Guy, the Spy Hunter guy (okay, maybe we don't know if that guy was white or not) and a role that was based on the life of Buford Pusser in Walking Tall.

The role Will Smith played in I, Robot was initially intended to be a white guy.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 04:35:26 pm »
Yep.  Will Smith is also the lead in Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend".  That character was orignally white.  Fans of the book are outraged! ::)

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 05:38:24 pm »
Halle played another role meant for a White woman in "The Rich Man's Wife"...because of her very light skin tone she is able to do that and most people find it acceptable (think things would be very different for her if she were 5 shades darker).

It's always harder if you are 5 shades darker. Halle can get away with just about anything though now she is playing the other half of her roots, I guess I really don't care.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 02:06:42 am »
Yep.  Will Smith is also the lead in Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend".  That character was orignally white.  Fans of the book are outraged! ::)
For real? I've got that book, and it's good, but I don't see why that choice of casting would change the story at all. I mean, I think we all know what the problem is, but are they really kicking up a fuss?

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 07:58:43 am »
Are they outraged because of Will Smith's inability to capture the heart of the character or because he is Black?  Not a fan of Smith but curious all the same....also would like to check the book out at some point.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 05:15:35 pm »
Playing a real person is different than a video game character or character from a book, IMO.  But it's no big deal to me...
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 06:51:28 pm »

There were plenty of Isaac Asimov fans who were upset by Will Smith playing the lead in I, Robot.  The other Asimov fans were pissed over the movie's more action packed approach to the book.  The most vocal Asimov fans from both camps demanded a boycott of the movie.

The fact that I, Robot was a blockbuster underscored that in the end Smith has a much bigger fanbase that Asimov.  Heck, one former co-worker I talked with said that she normally avoids sci-fi/fantasy fare (Star Wars, Spider-Man, etc.) unless Will Smith is in it.

Well, we know one reason why Smith scored the lead role in I am Legend:  sheer starpower.

zeraze
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time."

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 07:01:23 pm »
Are they outraged because of Will Smith's inability to capture the heart of the character or because he is Black?  Not a fan of Smith but curious all the same....also would like to check the book out at some point.

Since Legend hasn't come out yet, it would be premature to say Smith hasn't captured the heart of the character.  Hence, the outrage over Smith being the lead is due to either:

a.  Smith being Black

b. Smith being "overrated" and thus unworthy of starring in a film based on a classic sci-fi novel (Note:  Though far from a "serious actor," I don't remember as many complaints when "Ahnuld" was being considered to play Legend's hero.)

c. Fear that Smith-starring Legend will be a hit no matter how much the book's fans complain about it.

d.  Any combination of the above.

zeraze

P.S.

Then again, some people may be upset that Smith gets to co-star with Salli Richardson:

http://www.blackfilm.com/20060922/features/iamlegend.shtml

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 07:17:47 pm by zeraze »
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time."

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 07:12:09 pm »
For real? I've got that book, and it's good, but I don't see why that choice of casting would change the story at all. I mean, I think we all know what the problem is, but are they really kicking up a fuss?

It wouldn't shock me as shown by my previous posts.

Unlike Angelina Jolie playing Daniel Pearl's widow, Smith is playing a fictional character.  Hence, the producer gets more leeway determining which actor would score the lead role in Legend.  Hence, race shouldn't factor into this debate over whether Smith is a good fit.

Besides, Harry Belafonte started the lone Black guy in a postapocalyptic scenario in The World, The Flesh and the Devil.  According to BET.com, Belafonte was the first Black actor to star in a sci-fi flick.

zeraze
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 07:20:24 pm by zeraze »

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 08:03:27 am »

AW HELL NO!!

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 08:15:03 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Will Smith is shooting the movie on campus here. My friends got to meet him and took some photos. They said he was a very nice person, but I kept thinking "how can someone look that good on a camera phone?"

But back to the topic,

So Halle is playing a white woman, eh? I wonder what she knows about white women... ::)
...Rassclaat.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 01:58:42 pm »
Hope that Halle returns to her artisitic side and starts putting more heart and soul into her projects and not just celebrity type efforts.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 03:02:34 pm »

So Halle is playing a white woman, eh? I wonder what she knows about white women... ::)

My guess is she'll ask her mother.