Author Topic: Has DVD Technology Cheapen Movies?  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
Has DVD Technology Cheapen Movies?
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:05:43 am »
I feel that since the DVD boom, studios are finding new ways to attarct people to buy their movies to watch at home. At first it was nice to see an alternate ending to a thought provoking production. But it worked so well that it seems that shooting extras for the DVD has become just as important as the released stuff. Take for example the X3 DVD, where some of the delted scenes would have made the movie much better. There is no excuse for them not being in there. Why? Because the released movie was barely over an hour.

How much of the total sales a movie makes is from DVD and VHS sales?

...Rassclaat.

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
Re: Has DVD Technology Cheapen Movies?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:39:57 am »
I don't think the deleted scenes were taken out to boost DVD sales. More likely, however, was that some poor editing decisions were made (it happens...Kurt Wimmer was rather upset with the way Ultraviolet was edited, and corrected this for the DVD release). Films have, in general, grown shorter in recent years. The average length has gone from two hours, to 90 minutes, to slightly under that now. Shorter audence attention spans are usually cited as the reason for this, but the popularity of longer films like Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series suggest that audiences can sit down for a long movie if you give them a good reason to, particularly for fantasy/sci-fi/cult type films.

X-3 in general looked to me like the studio didn't really trust the new director, and kept him on way too short of a leash, budget-wise and creatively. The special effects for flight were kind of a step down from X-2, and the Juggernaut suit looked kinda like something you'd see at a convention...I could see it bunching up and wrinkling when he ran.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:52:09 am »
beware when you buy X3 from Wal-Mart, there is a 'bonus disc' that has an hour-length documentary about the X-Men comics-- however, on the packaging, it's described as cable documentaries with the movie cast and crew-- lot of folks are heated..

(BTW-- Ratner should have included several of those deleted clips in the final cut-- perhaps there will be a version 3.5 next year or something..)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

CIENCIANO

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 02:48:12 pm »
here in Peru you can buy 3 very good copies of very recent DVD's for 2.5 bucks.

yesterday i bought ''the hills have eyes'',''x men 3'' and ''Prime''( uma thurman) all 3 for 10 soles (2.5 dollars).

i repeat, all of them perfect copies. without any defects ( just that in some of the discs the special features are not included).

i don't go to the theater anymore, just from time to time (like 3 times in a year), i prefer to wait a couple of months and the buy the DVD's copies and watch them at home.

now, i would never go to the theater to watch a movie like the lord of the rings, you know cause in 3 hours, definitely there's going to be a moment when you must go to the bathroom. specially if you are drinking something, and i always watch movies drinking a coca-cola or something. and in the theater you can't push ''pause''.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:14:03 pm »
I want the deleted scenes because sometimes I wonder if something was missing in the final cut. There is also the director's cut edition which I sometimes prefer. In the case of X-Men 3, there are loads of scenes which would have made a better film. Amateur editors will probably cut their own edition now.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 11:23:13 am »
I want the deleted scenes because sometimes I wonder if something was missing in the final cut. There is also the director's cut edition which I sometimes prefer. In the case of X-Men 3, there are loads of scenes which would have made a better film. Amateur editors will probably cut their own edition now.

I think it's interesting how technology enables new art forms.  After all, film is only about 100 years old.  Photography is a little bit older than that.  I think it likely that there will be some form of interactive films.  Some "games" are already heading in that direction.  With digital technology, there is no reason you can't roll your own.  It will take a while for intellectual property law to catch up but we're already seeing this played out in music.  Why wouldn't there be film remixes?

To answer the original question (good question, T), I don't know if it cheapens movies but it may well be the next evolutionary step in entertainment.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 01:33:31 pm »
One of the many reasons that scenes are taken out of films meant for release in theatres is literally the length of the film. I don't remember what the magic number is but shorter films mean more showings per day. More showings mean more money for both theatre owners and for the studios distributing the films. Some producers or directors have enough clout to avoid this but most don't.

While we will never see a half hour theatrically released feature, you will find that you get charged the same amount to see a 120 minute movie as you do a 95 minute film. They don't prorate for length.

For decades this has incensed writers, directors and film buffs who have felt they were getting the cheap or less authentic verrsion of a given film. With DVDs everyone an be satifsied. You get the theatrical release, the diretor's cut and even completely unabridged versions (rare) which might be called the writer's cut. Sure the studios use this as a selling point for dvds but nobody's getting hurt.

I love DVDs. I have big plans for them.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 03:42:37 pm »
Good points made by all. I guess I never considered the positives that can come out of this form of distribution or thought that editiorial problems might be at fault. The logic I took was that since the majority of thr total sale of a movie comes from it's DVD and VHS(??) releases that some companies would purposely withold the best stuff to lure people into buying it. Then again, it is business after all. Profit is key.

I think that we are already seeing the significance of DVD's effect, now people can purchase whole trilogies and tons of extras that no other video format has been able to give. Heck, even comicbooks are utilizing this type of tech.
...Rassclaat.