Author Topic: Essential T'challa  (Read 2819 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Essential T'challa
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:17:24 am »
We've seen Kirby's BP, Priest's BP, Reggie's BP, JM's T'challa and so on.  Each one is different than the others, and fans have different views of what makes T'challa T'challa.

I've seen this with movie versions and reboots; someone cries that this new version isn't faithful to their interpretation of the character.  For example, some people felt organic webshooters in the movies took away Peter's genius level intellect.  Others didn't.

So, here's the question:  what are BP's essential characteristics.

(Too bad I can't broaden this to ask other fans of BP to see the variety of answers.)

For me--

Smart
Acrobat fighter
Stealthy
Better than human senses
Absolute Nobility, even more honorable than Cap.
Wise. (Reed may be smarter, T is wiser.)
King (or even ex-king) of a mysterious Kingdom in Africa.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
Re: Essential T'challa
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:56:17 am »
We've seen Kirby's BP, Priest's BP, Reggie's BP, JM's T'challa and so on.  Each one is different than the others, and fans have different views of what makes T'challa T'challa.

I've seen this with movie versions and reboots; someone cries that this new version isn't faithful to their interpretation of the character.  For example, some people felt organic webshooters in the movies took away Peter's genius level intellect.  Others didn't.

So, here's the question:  what are BP's essential characteristics.

(Too bad I can't broaden this to ask other fans of BP to see the variety of answers.)

For me--

Smart
Acrobat fighter
Stealthy
Better than human senses
Absolute Nobility, even more honorable than Cap.
Wise. (Reed may be smarter, T is wiser.)
King (or even ex-king) of a mysterious Kingdom in Africa.

Brother Kip, I'd replace "Smart" with "Genius" and I'd say those attributes you've listed represent a very good start in describing the characteristics of T'Challa, the Black Panther.

Of course we should all keep in mind that fan interpretation of T'Challa's character includes a racial component. The very name "Black Panther" while described in favorable terms by many fans both black and white, has the effect of alienating more than a few white fans who have suggested at times that Marvel named their first Black character for a Black terrorist organization.

Then there are some Panther "fans" - if you could call them "fans" - who were rankled by Hudlin's version of T'Challa. Many cited Hudlin's disregard for established continuity as the reason for their rejection of his version of the Panther. Others came right out with it. They felt that Hudlin was racist, his version of the Panther was haughty, too perfect, and racist, Wakanda was racist...anything and everything associated with Hudlin and his version of the Panther was racist. J. Maberry has in effect, reversed everything about Hudlin's Panther - excepting his marriage to Storm - hated by those Panther "fans" who did so. J.Maberry's version of T'Challa has had Doom's foot on his throat or up his rear end from the jump. No doubt the anti-Hudlin Panther phalanx of "fans" greatly approve of Maberry's correction of "Hudlin's mistakes".
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:49:31 pm »

T’challa as character is very, very simple…he is duplicitous, arrogant, cocky, mysterious, menacing, dangerous, ruthless, humorous, and violent, some times noble, sometimes down right cold-blooded, callous and brutal. He has “the world greatest poker face”, you are not supposed to know what he is thinking. He mostly holds back his emotions, his friends and teammates would be wary around him. He is the type of character that if Storm looked in his desk, or on one of his computers, he would have files on how to take down the X-men, the Avengers, Thor, her and so on. He spied on the Avengers and also set up and took out the Fantastic Four. This is a character who sunk the entire *world economy* without a second thought during his quarrel with Erik Killmonger. Stood totally emotionless when Doom was going to kill his wife.  Brutally humiliated Street-fighter Super Skrull and set up a trap that would end in the total annihilation of the skull force, then sent it back to the Skull home world for them to see, with the words “this is what happens when you invade Wakanda”. He is not some “perfect” “flawless individual…he is not the sort of character that’s lives in a world of black and white, right or wrong. T’challa is not a superhero, like Spiderman, Superman or even Batman. He exists in world of colorful shades of grey. A warrior-king who is also a heroic…above pinnacle of human physical ability, a super-genius being considered one of the 8 smartest men in the world and one of the best fighters in the world. He also has superhuman senses and night-vision. For some reason that is too formidable for many fanboys and writers alike.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:12:32 am »
Super Genius Warrior King

Pull List