Author Topic: Young Justice 'toon series coming to Cartoon Network  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Young Justice 'toon series coming to Cartoon Network
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:24:01 pm »
http://www.collider.com/2010/04/22/first-image-from-cartoon-networks-new-series-young-justice/

ah..  the 'net is fragmenting again with the inclusion of a black Aqualad.. curious..

With the understanding that the show has not premiered yet, I would also make the suggestion that the producers get Dwayne McDuffie involved, and bring in folks like Static, Rocket, and Wise Son to the team..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: Young Justice 'toon series coming to Cartoon Network
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:58:46 pm »
DmcD isn't workin' on this?
whaaaaaaa?

and yeah...of all the people to turn black, Aqualad?
I would love to learn about his origin story.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:20:11 pm »
I saw it; loved it.  Liked this interpretation of Cadamus, though new Aqualad feels more like a T'challa projedgy more than Aquaman.

This is as good as any Justice League episode.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:15:25 pm »
I guess they couldn't have Aqualad AND Static because then black people would be OVERepresented.  The fact that they are two different characters, or that the rest of the team is still very whie would not occur to them.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:28:39 am »
http://www.collider.com/2010/04/22/first-image-from-cartoon-networks-new-series-young-justice/

ah..  the 'net is fragmenting again with the inclusion of a black Aqualad.. curious..

With the understanding that the show has not premiered yet, I would also make the suggestion that the producers get Dwayne McDuffie involved, and bring in folks like Static, Rocket, and Wise Son to the team..

McDuffie isnt working on this?

Well that explains Static not being included. In any episode that Static appeared McDuffie'd have to get a ''created by'' credit at the very least along with a check (i assume).

Offline Gooch

• The only thing that is not common is sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:16:38 am »
to my understanding, this aqualad is the son of black manta.  The show was not bad and he was going toe to toe with superboy
the game is messed up,  singers want to be gansters, gangsters want to be rappers, and rappers want to  be actors

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:48 pm »
Yeah, he was easily the most powerful member of the team before Superboy came along.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 12:51:17 am »
to my understanding, this aqualad is the son of black manta.  The show was not bad and he was going toe to toe with superboy

So they're following the Brightest day continuity?  Cool!

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 05:39:37 am »

So they're following the Brightest day continuity?  Cool!

I don't think it is.  Comic version just recently meet Aquaman and is an American, I believe.  Cartoon version appears to be Atlantean.  He keeps calling AM his liege.  Then there is the hair, cartoon version is blond and short.  (Of course one does question the idea of dreds on an underwater character.)  Even the little bit of the comic version i've seen suggests a very different personality than the cartoon one.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 06:22:52 am »
^
To be fair, Jackson Hyde isn't an underwater character yet. From what I've read of Brightest Day he is just discovering his lineage. Regarding the cartoon, I thought the pilot was okay though some of the actions of the characters, particularly Blockbuster didn't make much sense. I did like the animation.

Regarding the 'toon Aqualad don't care for the Spyke look or the fact that he's the most inhuman looking (or was until the Martian girl showed up at the end) of the characters. Did he need to have gills or be barefoot? Also don't care for the blond hair or the light colored eyes. It seems like there's an inability on the part of mostly white comic creators sometimes to make black characters who look like the majority of black people. Sure there are blacks with blond hair, all colors of eyes and skin tones, but it seems that the 'stock' black physical traits are not desirable enough or perhaps 'special' enough for them. This isn't the case with white characters. I did think that Aqualad had some cool powers though and I will be checking this show out.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 11:24:06 am »
I really like it DC hits again and I really like Aqualad which I never did before. Don't like new Aqualad? Then don't like Robin if it isn't Dick Grayson. Or Batman when it ain't Bruce. Or Cap if it ain't Steve Rogers...but I caution, never judge stuff from the net.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 05:56:46 pm »
One thing I noticed about Aqualad on the show, but not so much in the comic is the water effect.  In the comic, the solid water effects look like water, but in the show, the water glows white.  While he is the "Aquaman sidekick", but visually his power effect looks like Green Lantern more than Aquaman.  Actually, one thing I have noticed that GL is the one character in DC to lack a teen version;  Aqualad almost fills that missing gap.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 08:25:40 am »
as usual, the people making the cartoon version of DC are doing it better than the people making the comics.

still not reading the comics (except for Simone's work) but I'm all over YOUNG JUSTICE.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 04:52:22 am »
Well now we've seen Miss Martian in action.  She came across like she is a 1950s girl.  "Baking cookies?" And the clothes.  But I wonder if that will turn out to be because she got her view of how human girls act from old tv shows beamed into space.

But her "hello Megan" comment when she realizes something is annoying. 

So not liking her yet.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 06:09:41 am »
I've only seen two episodes of YJ (the pilot and last night's ep with the Red Tornado), so far I'm surprisingly not impressed. I like the animation, and some of the character interactions, but so far it hasn't really grabbed me. Perhaps I'm spoiled because of how good the DCAU has been for about 20 years now.