Author Topic: Arizona no like Latinos  (Read 27703 times)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Arizona no like Latinos
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:03:25 am »
 How do you get away with discriminatory legislation like they are trying to enact? I don't think I'd be too welcome there :(

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona no like Latinos
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:12:59 am »
From their initial refusal to acknowledge the MLK holiday to this heinous piece of legislation, the state of Arizona needs to be on a permanent "whitelist", which is like a black list but since they are vilifying black and brown people enough, we don't need to add to it.  But they really need to be cut off from all convention dollars....how many other ways can we punish this state?

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:27:45 am »
Cutting off their convention dollars is certainly a start and I hope events boycott them as well. Here is the kicker, many of there towns depend on immigrant dollars. I don't get it, I don't get how you can be so unabashedly bigoted--but then this is the next phase of the "southern strategy" in GOP politics I suppose.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:56:38 am »
It's the same ol' play.  Which is why they lost the last election.  You can't win the presidency by just appealing to white men.  They continue to alienate the black and latin vote, and soccer moms ain't really checking for Sarah Palin either.  But their base craves this kind of nonsense.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:59:35 am »
How do you get away with discriminatory legislation like they are trying to enact? I don't think I'd be too welcome there :(

How dark are you, Princessa?

According to the legislation( Which could be signed as I type this) there must be probable cause and one of the criteria is appearance.

Vanna White Latina- Safe

Eva Longoria Latina- Taking a chance

Salma Hayek Latina- PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR.. NOW!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:13:27 am »
...didn't we have a HEF peep repping Phoenix, at one point? i'd like to hear their perspective..

if this passes, it will likely inspire other states with GOP governors and/or GOP-controlled state legislature, to try to adopt similar laws..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:25:23 am »

According to the legislation( Which could be signed as I type this) there must be probable cause and one of the criteria is appearance.

Vanna White Latina- Safe

Mariah Carey-ish in the winter Alicia Keys-ish in the summer :o

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

Vanna White Latina- Safe

Aaah, in that case you have until Memorial Day to leave Arizona without handcuffs. 8)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:47:19 pm »

Vanna White Latina- Safe

Aaah, in that case you have until Memorial Day to leave Arizona without handcuffs. 8)

lol, nope we all need to mass exodus now :o

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 02:42:07 pm »
It’ll be REALLLY interesting what happens the first time the Anti-Brown Brigade attempts to deport a swarthy Italian or Greek lacking papers by mistake.

Why does it never occur to these types to fine the businesses that HIRE illegals as opposed to looking for excuses to jail Brown folks? 

If they fined the businesses 5000 dollars a head for each illegal found on that business’ premises you will watch those hiring practices stop with the quickness. And if there is no work here they won’t come here (or stay).

As it is now, no business in Arizona is going to pay minimum wage to its dishwashers, I don’t care how many brown folk they try to frog-march across the border. So there is ALWAYS going to be a demand and therefore, there is ALWAYS going to be a supply.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 05:27:15 pm »

Vanna White Latina- Safe

So I guess the special Arizona package I wanted to offer you from Travelocity is out now?

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 08:40:02 am »

Vanna White Latina- Safe

So I guess the special Arizona package I wanted to offer you from Travelocity is out now?

Nope my beige to black peoples will steer clear

michaelintp

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 07:10:55 pm »
Here is a summary of the Arizona law from the actual statute. Did any of you even bother to read it, before condemning it?  At a minimum, I would expect folks to look at the provisions of the Arizona legislation that is causing them to go into paroxysms.

I can tell you that in California, and in Los Angeles, the cost to the public arising from public and health services provided to “illegal aliens” or “illegal immigrants” or “undocumented workers” (whatever is vogue to call ‘em at the moment) is substantial.

This is not to say that that people illegally entering our country are bad folk. By in large, they most definitely are not. While some are involved in drug smuggling and gang banging, including those who apparently recently killed a rancher in Arizona, my impression is that the vast majority are hard working. People who harbor a work ethic and respect for family values greater than the average native-born American. So, just to eliminate any confusion, I am not in any way impugning the moral integrity of most people who are in our country illegally.

But, the fact remains, they are here illegally.

Unless the summary is off base, the providing of an Arizona drivers license will presumptively let someone picked up for a crime off the hook when it comes to immigration issues.

I have bolded the provisions:

House of Representatives
SB 1070
Safe neighborhoods; Immigration; Law Enforcement
SB 1070 makes changes to laws relating to the enforcement on immigration laws, failure to carry an alien registration document, day laborers, harboring or transporting illegal aliens and employer sanctions.
History
8 U.S.C. § 1373(c) requires Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to respond to inquiries by federal, state, or local government agencies seeking to verify or ascertain the citizenship or immigration status of any individual within the jurisdiction of the agency for any purpose authorized by law, by providing the requested verification or status information.

[b]Enforcement of Immigration Law[/b]
•          Prohibits law enforcement officials and law enforcement agencies of this state or counties, municipalities and political subdivisions from restricting or limiting the enforcement of the federal immigration laws to less than the full extent permitted by federal law.
•          Requires officials and agencies to reasonably attempt to determine the immigration status of a person involved in a lawful contact where reasonable suspicion exists regarding the immigration status of the person, except if the determination may hinder or obstruct an investigation.
•          Stipulates that if the person is arrested, the person’s immigration status must be determined before the person is released and must be verified with the federal government.
•          Stipulates that a law enforcement official or agency cannot solely consider race, color or national origin when implementing these provisions, except as permitted by the U.S. or Arizona Constitution.
•         Specifies that a person is presumed to be lawfully present if the person provides any of the following:
        A valid Arizona driver license.
        A valid Arizona nonoperating identification license.
        A valid tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification.
       A valid federal, state or local government issued identification, if the issuing entity requires proof of legal presence before issuance.

•        Requires that if a person is convicted of any state or local law, on discharge from imprisonment or on the assessment of any monetary obligation imposed, ICE or U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) must be immediately notified.  
•        Authorizes a law enforcement agency to securely transport an unlawfully present alien to a federal facility.
•        Requires a law enforcement agency to obtain judicial authorization before securely transporting an unlawfully present alien to a point of transfer that is outside of Arizona.

•         Prohibits, except as provided in federal law, officials and agencies of counties, cities, towns or other political subdivisions from being prevented or restricted from sending, receiving or maintaining information relating to the immigration status, of any individual or exchanging that information with another governmental entity for the following official purposes:
        Determination of eligibility for any public benefit, service or license.  
        Verification of any claim of legal domicile if legal domicile is required by law or judicial order.
        If the person is an alien, determination of the person’s compliance with federal registration laws.
        Pursuant to federal laws regarding communication between government agencies and federal immigration agencies.

•         Stipulates that these provisions does not implement, authorize or establish and cannot be construed to implement authorize or establish the REAL ID Act of 2005, including the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID).

•          Allows a person who is a legal resident of this state to bring an action in superior court to challenge officials and agencies of the state, counties, cities, towns or other political subdivisions that adopt or implement a policy that limits or restricts the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent permitted by federal law.

•          Requires the court to order any that a violating entity pays a civil penalty of at least $1,000 and not to exceed $5,000 for each day that the policy has remained in effect after it has been found to be violating these provisions.  

•          States that the court will collect the penalty and transmit the collected monies to the state Treasurer for deposit in the Gang and Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission (GIITEM) Fund.

•          Authorizes the court to award court costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person or any official or agency that prevails in a case brought under these provisions.

•          Indemnifies officers against actions brought under these provisions, except if the officer has been adjudged to have acted in bad faith.

•          Stipulates that these provisions are to be implemented consistent with federal immigration law protecting the civil right of all persons and respecting the privileges and immunities of US citizens.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:10:08 am by michaelintp »

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 08:38:37 am »
I wonder if halting all federal money to Arizona can be accomplished?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:49 am »
Wow.

Legally sanctioning racial profiling which is... illegal. :-\