Author Topic: smoking  (Read 4834 times)

Offline laxman

• View Profile
smoking
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:42:01 pm »
 Smoking habits,chewing tobacco,alcoholic drink will invites cancer. Due to polluted environment most of the people are getting the problem of skin cancer and also many other heart diseases. As per statistical record of cancer hospital of Nawalparasi,Nepal around 15 lakhs youngsters will be victim of cancer in coming ten years due to habit of smoking and other factors. I think instead of going through critical Heart Surgery, it is better to make some prevention and stop smoking.There has been rise on many kind of heart disease among the people who have smoking habits.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:57:23 pm by laxman »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: cancer
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 07:53:26 am »
I am now of an age where many of my friends are fighting, and in some cases dying of cancer. 

Most recently breast cancer has come up a lot, and the need for mastectomies as a preventative if you have a genetic predisposition towards it.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
Re: cancer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:13:23 pm »
I am now of an age where many of my friends are fighting, and in some cases dying of cancer. 

Most recently breast cancer has come up a lot, and the need for mastectomies as a preventative if you have a genetic predisposition towards it.

Cancer is a hard one. Especially in a family with a predisposition towards it. There are some things you can do that help prevent colon ca, cervical ca etc. You can take blood tests to see what your # is but often people don't want to know. I say all to often people of color often could have saved their lives but it's that not wanting to know fact.

Offline Greg

• View Profile
Re: smoking
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:07:50 pm »
I seriously don't understand why anyone would even attempt to try a cigarette after all the warnings and actually studies and evidence about what it'll do to you. Especially with the clear knowledge that the nicotine can be very damn addicting and yet people still get themselves caught into this. It's just bewildering to me. It truly pains me to see a lot of my friends who are big smokers too and at this point I've pretty much grown to accept that no matter how much times and how loud I holler at them bout it, pretty much nothing will change their minds.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 04:32:40 pm »
growing up with asthma, I was never tempted to smoke, though I had any number of relatives who did..

In michigan, just this May a law signed by the governor back in December took effect, effectively banning smoking in virtually all public facilities with few exceptions.. http://tinyurl.com/yfbrcda

various business owners (restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.) are objecting.. there are even objections along ethnic lines, as some in Michigan's sizable Arabic community now wonder about hookah bar sustainability.. http://tinyurl.com/2vlu6ly

BTW-- Welcome, Laxman.. (kind of odd for a 1st post, but..  ;) )
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:34:32 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline byronlewis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:37:37 pm »
The major reason to the increase in the death ratio from the smoking, tobacco chewing and alocohol is only their excessive use. I have seen couple of people who are in their 80's, still smoking, chewing and driniking. As such they are not at all affected with the most dangerous disease of cancer as they have kept everything under control.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 09:28:08 am »
Who has successfully quit smoking?  How did you do it?

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: smoking...cigars?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:08:19 pm »
Maybe a bad place to ask this...but are there any other cigar smokers on the hef? I mean I would love to have a dialogue with a fellow heffa who partakes. Cigars are pure tobacco without all the chems and additives. Plus I doubt one a day is going to kill me..and if it does add it to the list of things that probably will take me out.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:22:16 am »
The major reason to the increase in the death ratio from the smoking, tobacco chewing and alocohol is only their excessive use. I have seen couple of people who are in their 80's, still smoking, chewing and driniking. As such they are not at all affected with the most dangerous disease of cancer as they have kept everything under control.

There are exceptions to every rule. Maybe their genetics make them less susceptible to certain forms of cancer/addictions. There's a portion of the human population who have had unprotected sex with partners infected with HIV/AIDS, yet, for whatever reason, those persons didn't contract the virus. Even so, I wouldn't recommend that type of activity, either.

Offline jasmine12

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 05:04:55 am »
Smoking is injurious to health

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:39:44 am »
Smoking is injurious to health

good point

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 08:01:30 am »
I seriously don't understand why anyone would even attempt to try a cigarette after all the warnings and actually studies and evidence about what it'll do to you. Especially with the clear knowledge that the nicotine can be very damn addicting and yet people still get themselves caught into this. It's just bewildering to me.

DITTO!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:50:54 pm »
I seriously don't understand why anyone would even attempt to try a cigarette after all the warnings and actually studies and evidence about what it'll do to you. Especially with the clear knowledge that the nicotine can be very damn addicting and yet people still get themselves caught into this. It's just bewildering to me. It truly pains me to see a lot of my friends who are big smokers too and at this point I've pretty much grown to accept that no matter how much times and how loud I holler at them bout it, pretty much nothing will change their minds.

I started for the same reason everybody else did...it looked cool. I got sold a bill of goods, I used to see ads for Benson & Hedges in the back of Ebony when I was a little kid. They made it look soooooo sophisticated and urbane...them bastards tricked me!  >:( Now I got a pack a day Newport habit and ironically it's the "ghetto" cigarette brand. That's five bucks a day that could be going toward paying another bill. It's costing me more to smoke than it is to drive. That's not even mentioning the money I'll have to kick out in healthcare costs in a few years if I don't quit.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 07:17:06 pm »
Laxman was a spambot in case you hadn't guessed...

As for smoking, I don't do it. Perhaps one of the best/worst things that happened when I was a child was having an uncle that lived in my house with a bad drug habit. I've maybe took one puff on a cigarette and have had a grand total of two beers in my life. Too many of my friends are struggling to quit smoking.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 09:58:55 am »
Laxman was a spambot in case you hadn't guessed...
Yep, jasmine12 too. They're both gone.
laxman managed to get a thread started nevertheless.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."