Author Topic: X-men First Class!  (Read 19222 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: X-men First Class!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 08:50:21 pm »
selective reaction-  Overall, I liked most of the film.. but..

well, BMore warned me..
The casual means in which Darwin is dispatched was the most troubling.
He had no obvious accent.. so maybe he was from the upper midwest, northeast, or west coast?  
Especially after the mayhem displayed by Shaw’s invasion of the CIA base.. I was expecting Darwin to announce that he’s leaving to become a freedom rider..
Compared to the cameo by _____, Darwin really had the most reason to say 'go____ yourselves'.  People who looked like Darwin (and Angel) were getting their heads knocked off for sitting at lunch counters or sipping at the ‘wrong’ drinking fountain.   The spy games of Charles and even the Nazi-hunting of Erik were hardly going to change all that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:55:58 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 04:00:41 am »
Yeah it's a shame that Civil Rights was ignored or they spoke around it. Obviously the treatment Darwin and Angel had probably received as blacks or people of color would color their decisions to either stay or go. But in the X-Men First Class 60's race seemed to play no role. You had black dancers at the Hellfire Club (which I guess isn't much a stretch since some white men have always had a taste for black flesh), and there was Angel as the stripper (don't know if she was  stripper in the comics) in what appeared to be a white or maybe integrated club, but I had hoped that we could've at least got a reference to Civil Rights or a direct comparison. I mean, a nice conversation at least between Darwin and Angel comparing the fight for mutant rights to civil rights would've been nice and harkened back to the X-Men's origins. Instead we got that conversation more from Beast and Raven, and it took on more homosexual rights overtones to me.

This lack was one of the major faults of an otherwise good movie. But to be honest I wasn't expecting much from them. I'm surprised that Darwin or Angel was actually in the film at all.

Offline masigl4179

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:30:24 pm »
I liked it...it was a well done movie. If I had to but them in order of my preference I would do X2, and a tie between X-men Orgins: Wolverine, and X-men First Class. A lot of folks hate on Wolverine: Origins, but I'm a Wolverine fan back from the 80s so I like it and watch it all the time even though it over the top.

spoilers......

I hate the part with Darwin too but I don't see any reason why he can't come back like he has numerous times in the comics although I didn't see it at my movie theater I read about this "Actor Edi Gathegi portrayed Darwin in X-Men: First Class.[7]. He demonstrated abilities such as developing gills when underwater and developing plating to withstand beatdowns. He ends up appearing to be killed by Shaw after he is forced to eat nuclear energy. His body forms a metallic like material, then stone to try to contain the energy planted inside of him. After the credits roll, he is seen reforming his body into energy on the moon"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:34:22 pm by masigl4179 »

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 12:27:43 am »
I liked it...it was a well done movie. If I had to but them in order of my preference I would do X2, and a tie between X-men Orgins: Wolverine, and X-men First Class. A lot of folks hate on Wolverine: Origins, but I'm a Wolverine fan back from the 80s so I like it and watch it all the time even though it over the top.

spoilers......

I hate the part with Darwin too but I don't see any reason why he can't come back like he has numerous times in the comics although I didn't see it at my movie theater I read about this "Actor Edi Gathegi portrayed Darwin in X-Men: First Class.[7]. He demonstrated abilities such as developing gills when underwater and developing plating to withstand beatdowns. He ends up appearing to be killed by Shaw after he is forced to eat nuclear energy. His body forms a metallic like material, then stone to try to contain the energy planted inside of him. After the credits roll, he is seen reforming his body into energy on the moon"

Yeah that bolded part isn't true. I stayed all the way through the credits, no final scene, no nothing.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 04:47:32 am »
^
Maybe that was the intention, and maybe a scene was filmed, but it wasn't in the final film. It might wind up in the deleted scenes or an extended cut, but does that make it canon? And they could just have Darwin show up in the next installment, but I doubt it, because if they wanted him back it would've made more sense to do it in this film, perhaps reemerging to help out in the final battle.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 08:17:29 am »
And no Stan Lee guest appearance.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 11:31:25 am »

Has there ever been a Stan Lee guest appearance in the X Films?

I don't remember him being in Wolverine.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 05:27:19 pm »

In the first movie when Kelly came out of the water, Stan Lee was standing by the hot dog stand. I don't remember if he was in 2 or 3, though.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 06:45:24 pm »

In the first movie when Kelly came out of the water, Stan Lee was standing by the hot dog stand. I don't remember if he was in 2 or 3, though.

He was in X3

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 07:16:37 am »
THE ATLANTIC:

Mutie Go Home
By Ta-Nehisi Coates
Jun 10 2011, 10:00 AM ET
Terrorist symapthizer and doubtlessly mutie scum, Matt Yglesias, has now taken to arguing that Magneto was right:

I already said this, but I think the important thing to recognize is that limiting yourself to the text of "First Class," Magneto is the good guy and he ends the film leading a rainbow coalition of red-skinned, blue-skinned, brown-skinned, Jewish, and female crusaders for mutant pride. The X-Men are led by a Professor Xavier who's not just naive, but callow and hypocritical. Naturally he attracts a team of privileged white men and the self-loathing Hank McCoy. But the moral here is precisely that the struggle for justice won't be waged by a team of enlightened white dudes. The team of enlightened white dudes is offering a kind of craven appeasement, while the multi-hued emergent Brotherhood of Mutants stands for self-respect.

Given where I'm from, you don't really have to sell me on this one. I started in on comic books, just about the time shortly after Magneto joined the X-Men, though I've never read the books where this actually happened. (What back issues should I be digging up?) Anyway, like any self-respecting proto-Malcolmite, I immediately identified with Magneto.

There's a great scene in the first Secret Wars where all the heroes are ragging on the X-Men for embracing Magneto. I think Captain America calls Magneto a "terrorist," and Wolverine steps in and basically goes off on Cap explaining the history of mutants, and how Magneto came to a "drive em into the sea" philosophy. I would transcribe the thing but my collection is all boxed up. But Wolverine ends the rant being held back by other X-Men, yelling something like "I used to respect you!"

It's funny how these things strike you: I was a black kid in Baltimore, not even 20 years out of the Civil Rights movement, with these quasi-radical parents, growing up in the Reagan era. From that perspective, it was Wolverine's indignation, his disappointment  that really hit home--the notion that someone named "Captain America" would moralize about Magneto's methods.

But the problem is that reactive nationalism hasn't aged too well with me. I'm fairly sure that Magneto tells Xavier that the struggle isn't merely on of being "left alone" but one of domination. (I think it's in the last scene before they go off for the final battle.) Magneto agrees with Shaw's vision of the world which strikes me as something more than "just leave us in peace."

If Xavier's integrationist attitude is naive (and it is), I'd argue that Magneto's faith in violence and ethnic nationalism is equally so. For me, that really is the beauty of the film. I don't think it can be reduced to who is "right." As Magneto says, Xavier thinks all humans are like Moira. And as Xavier replies, Magneto thinks all humans are like Shaw.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 07:08:20 pm »
You Left Out the Part About ...
By TA-NEHISI COATES
Last weekend, like seemingly half the country, I took my son to see “X-Men: First Class,” the latest, and best, big-screen incarnation of the popular comic book franchise.

My son and I represent two generations of X-fans. I came of age in the ’80s and ’90s and can still recall when Xavier’s students were lords of the Underground, and the phrase “comic book movie” conjured absurd images of David Hasselhoff donning an eye patch. The boy is of the present era, where the geeks and nerds throne and Hollywood is compelled to seriously contemplate the cinematic potential of B-listers Namor, Luke Cage and Ant-Man. Still, we were united across the ages in our love for the X-Men — patron-saints of the persecuted and the champions of freaks and pariahs across the globe.

In print, the X-Men are an elite team culled from a superpowered species of human. The mutants, as they are dubbed, are generally handled roughly by the rest of humanity and singled out for everything from enslavement to internment camps to genocide. As if to ram the allegory home, the X-Men, for much of their history, have hailed from across the spectrum of human existence. Over the decades, there have been gay X-Men, patrician X-Men, Jewish X-Men, Aboriginal X-Men, black X-Men with silver mohawks, X-Men hailing from Russia, Kentucky coal country, orphanages and a nightmarish future.

But as “First Class” roars to its final climactic scene, it appeals to an insidious suspension of disbelief; the heroic mutants of America, bravely opposing bigotry and fear, are revealed as not so much a spectrum of humankind, but as Eagle Scouts from Mayfield. Thus, “First Class” proves itself not merely an incredible film, but an incredible work of American historical fiction. Here is a period piece for our postracial times — in the era of Ella Baker and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the most powerful adversaries of spectacular apartheid are a team of enlightened white dudes.

“First Class” is set in 1962. That was the year South Carolina marked the Civil War centennial by returning the Confederate Flag to the State Capitol; the year the University of Mississippi greeted its first black student, James Meredith, with a lethal race riot; the year George Wallace was elected governor of Alabama.

That was the year a small crowd of Americans gathered at the Lincoln Memorial and commemorated the 100th birthday of the Emancipation Proclamation. Only a single African-American was asked to speak (Thurgood Marshall, added under threat of boycott). In “First Class,” 1962 finds our twin protagonists, Magneto and Professor X, also rallying before the Lincoln Memorial, not for protest or commemoration, but for a game of chess. “First Class” is not blind to societal evils, so much as it works to hold evil at an ocean’s length. The film is rooted in its opposition to the comfortably foreign abomination of Nazism.

This is all about knowing your audience.

I am reminded of the House Republicans, opening the 112th Congress by reciting the Constitution, minus the slavery parts. I am reminded of the English professor last year who, responding to Huckleberry Finn’s widespread banishment from public schools, was compelled to offer the Mark Twain classic, minus the nigger parts. I think of the Pentagon official, who this year justified the war in Afghanistan to soldiers by invoking the words of Dr. King, minus the “ultimate weakness of violence” parts. I am reminded of whole swaths of this country where historical fiction compels Americans to claim the Civil War was about states’ rights, minus the “right to own people” part.

This is all about a convenient suspension of disbelief.

When we left the theater, my son and I knew we had experienced the most thrilling movie of the summer. “First Class” is narratively lean, beautifully acted and, at all the right moments, visually stunning. But I had experienced something else. My son is 10 and a romantic, as all 10-year-olds surely have the right to be. How then do I speak to him of this world’s masterminds who render you a supporting actor in your own story? How do I speak of the Sentinels whose eyes melt history, until the world forgets that in 1962, the quintessential mutants of America were black?

Who do you think has the coolest power, Daddy?

His great caramel eyes were an amusement park.

You do, son.

Ta-Nehisi Coates, a senior editor at The Atlantic, is a guest columnist.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 08:24:45 am »
Yeah, I did miss that part.  What an ending to the essay.  Wow.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 01:32:54 pm »
come to think of it they missed on a golden opportunity to sneak in the civil rights movement
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 02:55:21 pm »
come to think of it they missed on a golden opportunity to sneak in the civil rights movement
That's the biggest failure of the film.  They touched on the Holocaust and the Cuban Missle Crisis but didn't use the "Malcolm/Martin" debate which made the X Men relevant in the first place.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 10:37:27 pm »
They could have easily slipped it in during the montage, I think they ignored it on purpose.