Author Topic: The continuing adventures of ARVELL: The up-and-coming actor  (Read 163840 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The continuing adventures of ARVELL: The up-and-coming actor
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2008, 07:07:53 am »
Again, go to turnerpress.com to read the entire press release.

And you'll see me in character as "Fishbone"
Be easy.

You're the guy [Fishbone] with the hat on dancing in the back with the rest of the cast?

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2008, 02:50:07 pm »
that would be me...errr, Fishbone.
:D

and i just noticed yesterday (while watching half an episode of house of payne), that there are different edits of that commercial playing.
the one i saw yesterday showed a great shot of me...2wice....doing different things from the link that i shared.

gettin' my hands on all the different edits of the commercial will be like tryin' to catch all the pokemon's.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2008, 05:48:06 am »
gettin' my hands on all the different edits of the commercial will be like tryin' to catch all the pokemon's.
You-Tube edit is evoling!

You-Tube edit became Music Video!

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2008, 07:53:15 am »
that would be me...errr, Fishbone.
:D

and i just noticed yesterday (while watching half an episode of house of payne), that there are different edits of that commercial playing.
the one i saw yesterday showed a great shot of me...2wice....doing different things from the link that i shared.

Hey, man...

The version I viewed from your link you posted,  you are hardly noticeable! :-\
What da hell are the other cast members trying to do?  Upstage you??? :D

Tell us a little more about the 'Fishbone' character. Is he down and out or something? :-\

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2008, 02:01:52 pm »
he is quite down and out.

"Benson" played a character named "Fishbone" on Good Times.
Like Robert Guillaume (how do u spell it?), my fishbone was down on his luck too.  He was introduced when one of the main characters got hooked on drugs and started livin' in a crackhouse.
that's where Fish is introduce....tryin' to sell a laptop for $20

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2008, 08:52:55 am »
he is quite down and out.

"Benson" played a character named "Fishbone" on Good Times.
Like Robert Guillaume (how do u spell it?), my fishbone was down on his luck too.  He was introduced when one of the main characters got hooked on drugs and started livin' in a crackhouse.
that's where Fish is introduce....tryin' to sell a laptop for $20

There are more examples, like how Chris Rock played a down & out character in New Jack City, or Halle Berry & Sam Jackson collaborated on a pair of down & out characters  in Jungle Fever.  There are even more examples in other shows, but you get the idea. ;)

Down & out characters, to me, really begs the question,

'To be
-or-
Not to be'

These type of characters are golden opportunites for aspiring performers because this is where an actor can play somone  in thier point in life just before the fall. Why do you think someone playing a clown is used?
There is an arc to be completed; Does the character prevail? or does the character fall further down?

There has to be some reason the people from House of Payne keep calling you back. Perhaps you should really dig deeper for them to explore something in Fishbone? Does he fall further down? or does he overcome his dilemma? Where does he draw his strength from day to day?
I'd recommend checking the archetype characters, 'Mudfoot' from the Fat Albert cartoon or one of Richard Pryor's stand-up  comedy routines doing his 'Mudbone' character (Bicentennial N***er is a good piece of reference) or even that crackhead character from the Pj's.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 08:54:37 am by Battle »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2008, 06:19:22 pm »
i feel you, brother battle.
i'm on the same page as you.
thinking positively, if they bring Fishbone back, I really want them to explore him in a serious story arc
the fall and rise of fishbone if you will would be nice... i'd really like to show off my dramatic acting for the world to see.  It's been too long since i've done anything dramatic.

but since one of the main characters has already been thru the rehabilitated route, who knows WHAT they would do with Fishbone.

Like you said, Chris Rock, Sam Jackson, Halle Berry and who else am I missing?  They've done a good job and things have turned out okay for them after the fact. hahahahha...
Mudbone is a good reference point.  I haven't listened to that richard pryor tape/cd/record in a looooong time.

Thank you for your comments.
Pleasebelieve that if/when I get the opportunity, we gotta do it BIG!

my mom truly believes that the-power-that-be will bring me back on the show...why else would they have me in the commercials she says?

I have that feeling, too, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much until they start filming again (Mr. Perry is currently filming Madea Goes To Jail in Atlanta)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2008, 06:52:33 pm »
man i'm tired.

long story short, i had 3 auditions today.
Today.
It's a record for me.

i started off with 1 at 10:35a. i knew that yesterday and my boss told me to come in after that audition so i wont be late to work.  cool.

little did we know that a 2nd audition would be added to my plate.
Remember that Ga Lotto audition that i left because they were behind schedule? well, i got a callback and knocked 'em dead.  I dont know if i'm gonna get it...i feel like i will...but i saw the gleam in their eyes...they were feeling me.
shucks...i had the advertising ppl applauded my performance...and that's never happend to me in an audition before.

so i go to work...since i hve a short day, i get a 30 min lunch.
during my lunch break, my agency calls me and tells me that BET's new show, "SOMEBODIES," wants me to audition for a role.

heheheheheh... go to audition and be late to work OR... before i can finish asking myself the question, i'm on the highway heading to the audition.
it takes me 30 minutes to get there (got sidetracked), a few minutes to audition and about 15-20 to get back to work. i did all of that in an hour.
*whew*

that was a good audition, too! dont know what's gonna happen, but if i get it, then i'll be in athens filming my role for BET.

for all of you who prayed for me ....'preciate ya!

www.top20takeover.vvcradio.com

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2008, 05:13:04 am »
Keep grinding, man!

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »
What's good family?
  I wanted to let you all know that a new episode of my radio show, The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown, has hit the internet.

please listen to my show and let me know what you think, okay?

shucks, leave a msg on my website so i'll know you stopped by.

Thank you in advance for your support.  I really appreciate it.

I hope you all enjoy the show.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2008, 05:06:55 am »
Sup Fam?

My agency called me last night and told me that I was requested to audition for BET's "Somebodies."

Me and this other black guy from the agency get to audition for a really really GOOD role. Waaay better than the one scene drunk.  This time, i get to get my Coming To America on.  Yes.  I get to play an African (exchange) student.

i read the script after she called to let me know that she sent me an email (late) and that the audition is today at 1030a.

Good news: the role is hot because he is practically the star of the episode.  it is even NAMED after the character.   :o

Bad news: i guess my boss knows when good ish is gonna happened to me because they put me back in the depressingly slow and depressing (get the point) mail center.  Aargh.  Now my time isn't so flexible because I have set times to deliver the mail to the executives and i'm the only person that can do it (the other guy is on vacation).

i asked if i could switch my time (to my lunch break) so we'll see.

Pray for me, aiight?
This is the role i've been lookin' forward to.

'preciate you.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2008, 04:16:22 am »
sup guys and gals.

i got the callback for Somebodies and it is today.
i'm nervously excited and that's a good thing.
today, at 2pm, i audition in front of the writer, director, producer, jesus, etc... this is the big deal.

if i can pull this off, i'll be playin' a character who could possibly become a semi-regular.
the script is hilariously funny and like i told my agent, "I WANT THIS ROLE."

i feel like rocky, trainin' to get the title.
my wife helped me all evening yesterday goin' over the script.  i luv her.  she helped me out a lot.  i feel as if i am ready.

as for my accent, it's a combination of Akeem from Coming to America and Dinka/yinka from Barbershop the Series on Showtime.

*whew*

i'll holla at y'all when i get home from work.
be easy.

top20takeover.vvcradio.com

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2008, 07:17:33 am »
Good luck, MM!  You'll get it, man....just believe it's gonna happen.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2008, 01:36:12 pm »
thanks brother catch.
oh, i believe.
i believe I KNOCKED.THAT.ISH.OUTTA.THA.PARK!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm on cloud 9 right now.
i had the director/writer/actor and producer laffin' their butts off... from the get go.
i went in in-character and they were lovin' it.
the producer lady asked "are u stand up?" and in character i replied "no, i prefer to sit."

from that point, it was on and poppin'.
i was tryin' to knock their socks AND drawz off... and for the most part, i think i succeeded.

it was a good audition so we'll see what happens.
i told the ppl at work that when i get the part, i'm buyin' donuts (krispy kreme).

deep in my heart, i think a trip to k.k. will be in order.

i'll holla.
 ;D

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2008, 04:11:52 pm »
Get in there, my son! ;D
Great that even the effect of the dreaded call-centre couldn't stop the Mastrmynd!

-Harriet Tubman