Author Topic: The continuing adventures of ARVELL: The up-and-coming actor  (Read 163880 times)

Jenn

Re: The continuing adventures of ARVELL: The up-and-coming actor
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2009, 07:43:11 am »
Loving the demo reel!!!! TEAM POE!!!!

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2009, 02:16:08 pm »
Loving the demo reel!!!! TEAM POE!!!!

Jenn...i respect your comments and perspectives on a lot of things so your support means a lot.
Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

Brother Battle, as always, thank you for holding me down for so long. i factor in every suggestion that you give (ie. u wanted a female...i give you Tha Diva! LOL!).  You're good people. Thanks.

As far as talking to the kids...today was awesome. It was my first time talking to high school students and they showed me love.  As the day went on (i spoke to 4 classes), the students' ADD startin' kickin' in...especially after lunch!  But there were a good majority of students who listened, asked questions and took notes!
you know i had to shout out the radio show...mwhahahhaha!
I even told them about the perils of shady agents (never pay an agent to find you gigs!!! one student already had gone thru that...well, his parents had.)
All in all, I had a good time.
Shucks, the Drama teacher came to the class (which is a Video Broadcasting class) and asked if i would speak to her students. crrraaaazzzzyyyyy. LOL
speakin' of VideoBroadcasting, the students even interviewed me on the news show.  They'll be showing my internet during their morning news program next tuesday.
that's my time...
my wife and the Xbox 360 is callin' me!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2009, 03:57:00 am »
Wow!
13000 views on this thread.
 :'(  *these are virtual tears of joy*

This just in:
1. Teacher wants me back next year. I most definitely need to come up with some type of Speaking engagement payment plan.  Do schools pay ppl to talk to the kids? Somehow that seems so wrong. LOL

2. 3 of the 60 plus students that I spoke to yesterday actually joined The Takeover's facebook fan page.  One of the students left a msg and say that i "inspired him."

awwwwww.
 :'(  *these are more virtual tears of joy*

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2009, 05:36:02 pm »
Damn MM, that Demo Reel was freakin (M)arvell(ous) !!! 

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2009, 05:41:36 pm »
seriously?
u really think so.
wow.
okay...
thanks.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2010, 04:19:15 pm »
Hmm... I guess this needs to be moved to ACTING right?

Hey guys! I'm kinda on a creative high right about now.  These last 24 hours have been a lil' interesting.
As I posted in my Takeover: Top 20 Countdown thread on the music section, i had a great time during our show INDEPENDENT'S DAY 3!
We represented for so many independent artists and their fans are starting to represent for them by voting to have their faves added to the station's rotation. Be on the lookout for a girl group by the name of REMEDY.  To me, they are an ATL version of Destiny's Child!  My wife and I really love them. They are talented...blah blah blah. I'm ramblin'. Then Sleepy Brown surprised us by callin' in to the show...then he dropped an exclusive on his and intro'd his new song from his new group on his new label. Anyway, listen to the show (http://en.1000mikes.com/app/archiveEntry.xhtml?archiveEntryId=128523) and see why i'm so jazzed!

Last yesterday afternoon, my agency sent me audition info for the following:
* Radio commercial (woohoo! my short term goal is to book a radio gig during the 2nd quarter of 2010)
* Go see (it is some random modeling thing...i am not even signed up for the modelin' gigs...doubt i'll go, but it was cool to be included. i did a go see for Beer print ad...it wasn't fun. the only reason i know what a go-see is is becuz of Tyra's TOP MODEL.)
* Jamie Foxx's sketch comedy show on FOX  (what's funny about this is that i've been trackin' the progress of this show on futoncritic.com)  I had less than 24 hours to come up with 3 characters to perform.  1 minute for each character.
The show was 4 hrs long last nite. stayed 30 minutes taking pictures with the studio guests (and gettin' them to do drops)
got home by 1am. Didn't go to sleep until 2am.
Got in the shower around 730ish am and by 8am i had developed a nice story line for each character.
by 8:15am i had my half sleep and pregnant wife burstin' out laughin' becuz of one of my characters.
That made me feel good.

I get to work 5 minutes early...then i find out that i am supposed to be off today. Say what??? but i stay anyway becuz i think it was an error. i worked 4 hours then left at lunch. but on my "attire", then waited patiently to audition.
there were some strong non-black actors who auditioned but none of them really brought the "urban" like we were requested to.

I did my thing...as always, i could give been a lil better, but i felt really comfy about my audition.
Not really nervous...but i was runnin' on fumes and i didnt say everything i wanted to, but i got out the main parts.

i dont know what it is...but i'm not trippin' over the outcome of this audition.  A callback would do wonders for my soul, to book it would be awesome.
in the audition, we were told "Must be willing to relocate to L.A. to film this role".
i told my wife and she said, "Okay, my bags are already packed!"

hahahha...i love my wife.
and i love THE HEF!
thank you for reading and thank you for your support!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:17 am »
Good luck with it. We're pulling for you and standing by for news.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2010, 11:24:04 am »
Hmm... I guess this needs to be moved to ACTING right?

Hey guys! I'm kinda on a creative high right about now....

Awesome news!

Like Curtis said, we're standing by for more (good) news!  ;D

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2010, 12:27:27 pm »
Curtis and JLI, thank you!
i'm in a good place now.  i'm not stressin' about the audition at all.
it's weird. i'm crazy calm. woosah even. lol.
whatever happens, i'm cool...but like i said before "a callback would do wonders for me right now!"

UPDATE: YOU know the saying "it's who you know"... well a friend of mine saw my fb post about my audition and told me that she has a connection at FOXX-KING (jamie's company). then she said that she'd send an email out to them as an extra push.

cool, huh?

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2010, 02:12:11 pm »
Me again.
i thought i was finished posting about updates but more news keeps coming.

#1. I don't know if i ever told you all how i got my wife to be represented by the same agency that i work for.  all of her life, she has always wanted to do voice over work...so during a Publix radio ad audition i had, i let my wife read for the female character while i read for the male.
voila! they liked her so much they invited her to the agency and signed her up on the spot. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. mwhahahahhaha
  Anyway, she had another audition today...it was her third (she missed out on her 2nd one becuz she wasnt feelin' well and was scared she had messed up her chances. NOPE!)
  So wifey goes in today and knocks out her audition in 2 takes. 2 takes! the agent told her that it was perfect and that she is a natural (which she is)!  so now we wait. i'm so happy for and proud of my wife. She really needed that experience because she has been dealing with some things recently so this lifted her spirits.
  I'll keep you posted.

#2. I'm at work...goofin' off ...surfin' the web (ie. HEF) and checkin emails from my early 2000s flip fone and lo and behold, i have an audition for Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns this Monday for a character named Bennie.

I'm excited. What makes this audition even better is that i will be competing against my friend (and fellow Black Theatrical Ensemble member) who was the bad guy, Alton, in The Blind Side.  Should be an epic showdown. i even sent him a txt msg that said "i dont mean any harm but i'm gettin' this role. lol. Make sure you brang yo A game! CHALLUNGE!!

Offline Afro Samurai

• THE BLACK MAN IS GOD!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2010, 04:35:07 pm »
First thing, first thing....you most did the important thing as a black actor........you married a black person. Be black & strong, dont be a sell out my brotha. It is really good to hear that you are doing big things. I read thru all 20 pages in 1 setting in awe of your appearances in movies & tv shows. I also liked your acting demo on youtube (I made the first comment on it).

But how your dad doing? I know he had a heart attack, so I am just wondering how is he doing? Also how your blood pressure is doing? Whenever you post "my pressure is high" that really worry me alot. I wish you success and your family good health. Reading your adventure really made my day.
INTERRACIAL RELATIONSHIPS IS A SIN!!!!!! YOU'LL DIE QUICKER AND ALSO BURN IN HELL. THOSE ARE THE FACTS, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2010, 10:29:50 pm »
This thread should be moved to the acting section.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 04, 2010, 06:27:31 am »
This thread should be moved to the acting section.

yes, i made the same comment, too.
lol.
but i got excited when i saw that reggie reg had posted up in here...
(insert momentary sadness here...lol)

First thing, first thing....you most did the important thing as a black actor........you married a black person. Be black & strong, dont be a sell out my brotha. It is really good to hear that you are doing big things. I read thru all 20 pages in 1 setting in awe of your appearances in movies & tv shows. I also liked your acting demo on youtube (I made the first comment on it).

But how your dad doing? I know he had a heart attack, so I am just wondering how is he doing? Also how your blood pressure is doing? Whenever you post "my pressure is high" that really worry me alot. I wish you success and your family good health. Reading your adventure really made my day.

my brother AFro Samurai,
  thank you for the kind words.  i married my 'homegirl' from college...dated for ten years...married for 5years... i love her and i couldnt imagine being on this journey without her. We are both creative souls so each step that we take means so much because we can share each others joy and know what it means and how it truly feels.
  My Dad is doing well. He is the strongest man that i know...honestly...he takes a beating but keeps on tickin'. thanks for asking.
  My pressure is in check. I'm taking my meds like i'm supposed to. Mom hates that i have to take 'em, but alas, i've inherited the bp that my mom and pop both have.
  Thanks for the well wishes of success and good family health. that really means a lot. So far, you seem like good people...really genuine. You might make a good Hud-Rat (search HudRats via the Hudlin forums to see what i'm talkin' about).
  You liked my demo, huh? Cool. Did you see the 3min version or the 6min version?
  Finally, YOU READ THRU ALL 20 PAGES OF THIS THREAD IN ONE SITTING? For real?  :o  I don't know what to say... uh, 'presh8 u!
I'm headin' off to youtube land to check out your post.
  Happy Easter!
  Tomorrow is a big day for ya boy. 2 auditions. one for the radio and one for TPS/MTB/TBS. i feel good. no worries. i'm ready.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 05, 2010, 08:47:07 am »
hey fam!
  part one of my 2part audition day went reallllly well.
I went to the studio to do one radio ad audition (publix) but ended up getting a 2nd one to do (coke) and they both went really well.
Call me Mr. 2 Takes (aka The Natural) because I knocked both auditions out in 2 takes. mwhahahahah... and my agent told me "you're a natural."
i had a seinfeld moment because that's the same thing she told my wife (aka Mrs. 2 Takes). "does she say this to everyone?" i asked myself. hahhahaha
  i wasnt gonna post this but i have time...wifey is making me breakfast/brunch before i head out to do my audition for MTB's.
 long story short, There was a black guy recording before me and my agent asked if she could copy my sides for the publix commercial. i didn't mind but i did tell her "disregard my adlibs."
  She gave the guy a copy and told him not to worry about the stuff wrote in the margins (i started off the ad "GoodMorning ATL..." it is a radio ad that just gets to the point...i added some flavor with the g'morning part.)  Anyway, when it was time for him to record, why did I hear the game start off with "Good Morning ATL" ??
  WTF? i cant believe he just stole my line i laughed to myself. i didnt let it bother me. with me having a background in radio and i read the synopsis of the sides, i just adlibbed even more.
 Don't mess with Mastrmynd!!  or you'll get dealt with...artistically.
  I'll keep ya posted. time to eat and get ready for my next audition.
 ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 05, 2010, 09:17:13 am »
WTF? i cant believe he just stole my line i laughed to myself. i didnt let it bother me. with me having a background in radio and i read the synopsis of the sides, i just adlibbed even more.  --- Dj MastrMynd

See? :D

I knew that your online radio show would be your own personal mirror and gateway to where you need to go in th' entertainment business!