Author Topic: The Racial Politics of Regressive Storytelling  (Read 9448 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Racial Politics of Regressive Storytelling
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 02:44:40 pm »
Yet again D.C. walks back a commitment to youth and racial diversity to appease a bunch of 40 year old fanboys.

Ray Palmer hasn't had a solo title since the freaking early 90's.

This is so ill-concieved its embarassing.

They have no idea how to get new fans so they do stuff like this.

How much longer can they milk nostaligic 30-40 somethings?

I am pretty much the target market for this sort of thing but I just find it embarrassing.

I may drop DC books altogether.

They don't want people like me as fans.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 05:14:55 pm »
Something I've noticed about this "return to the silver age".  Unlike the previous "next generation", the modern day versions aren't signicantly different than their Silver Age counterparts.  Compared to the Golden Age, the revamps were more tangible.   The Golden Age Atom was completely different than the Silver Age Atom, but the modern era Atom was basically the same character, power and costume.  Or no one would ever confuse the Golden Age Flash for the Silver Age Flash, but visually Wally and Barry are interchangable.   John Stewart, Kyle, and whatshisface are identical to Hal in power and sometimes in costume, but there is sufficient differences between Alan Scott and Hal.

Or think about Hawkman;  while his storyline changes from the golden age to the silver age, visually he didn't change.  Then the Modern Age Hawkman had a new costume, but the same storyline and ultimately DC ended up merging all versions of Hawkman into one. 

But compare them to Blue Beetle, each version is radically different than the previous in costume and power;  even though his title was canceled, the Modern Day Blue Beetle remains.

Or take a look at Marvel,  most of their next gen versions of heroes end up with new costumes and names.

Perhaps rather than creating a new Atom who has the same powers and visually looks the same, they should have created a new Atom with new powers or at least a easily recongizable costume, so when anyone sees him, they know he's not Ray Palmer.

Offline mayday

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 05:54:55 pm »
i know yall are talking DC but check this.....

Twitter Campaign Wants 'Community' Actor to Be First Non-White Spider-Man

Could the movies soon have the first African American Spider-Man?

If thousands of Twitter users get their way, the star of Sony's upcoming reboot of the franchise will be Donald Glover, best known from his role on NBC's "Community." This weekend the Twitter hashtag "donald4spiderman" became the #3 trending topic in the U.S., and the campaign is still gaining steam.

The origins of this latest attempt by social media users to influence casting decisions occurred last week. After surveying the five mostly unknown white actors said to be vying for the role, Marc Bernadin, a writer for the sci-fi site io9.com, called the choices "bland" and asked, "In this day and age, why does Spidey have to be a white guy?" In response, commenters threw out Donald Glover's name as a possible contender, and a Twitter campaign was born.

A unique aspect of this latest fan campaign is its wholehearted support by the subject in question. Glover seems to like the idea (though he makes it clear on his Twitter page that he's interested in auditioning, not just being handed the role without first having to prove his worthiness). While he had nothing to do with its inception, Glover himself has been promoting the campaign, instructing fans to tweet the #donald4spiderman hash tag at strategic times to keep it trending.

In years past, an Internet petition of this kind might not be given much credence, but given the overwhelming success of the recent social-media uprising to get Betty White a hosting gig on "Saturday Night Live," this could be Glover's ticket to director Marc Webb's tryout room. He and his fans will have to act fast, though: The Hollywood Reporter is already forecasting the five most likely contenders for the role, and Glover is not on the list

Glover, a comedian and former writer for "30 Rock," has starred in only one movie so far: "Mystery Team," a comedy he co-created with his sketch comedy team, Derrick Comedy, which came out in 2009.

One hurdle Glover's fans will have is in his presumed bankability as a movie star: "Mystery Team" brought in a meager $89.4 thousand in domestic box-office sales

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:24 pm »
Wow...if that happened, 80% of current comic buyers would either, have heart attacks, stroke out or commit suicide.   It would be like Scarlet Witch uttering "No More Geeks!"  ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 12:08:38 pm »
It would be like Scarlet Witch uttering "No More Geeks!"  ;D

Which would have a probability of a 99.9999999% chance of happening! ;D

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 05:38:18 pm »
Asian?  I thought he was Hispanic, but I admit, never really bothered with the dude knowing he was nothing but a place holder.  Ray Palmer wasn't even dead; just on a sabbatical.

He was Korean.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 07:31:46 am »
DC COMICS SENIOR STORY EDITOR IAN SATTLER ON ďGREEN, PINK, AND BLUEĒ HEROES

Regarding the recent death of minority characters like Ryan Choi:
Itís so hard for me to be on the other side because itís not our intention. There is a reason behind it all. We donít see it that way and strive very hard to have a diverse DCU. I mean, we have green, pink and blue characters. We have the Great Ten out there and I have counter statistics, but I wonít get into that. Itís not how we perceived it. We get the same thing about how we treat our female characters. - as quoted in Newsarama, June 6.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 07:44:07 am »
DC COMICS SENIOR STORY EDITOR IAN SATTLER ON ďGREEN, PINK, AND BLUEĒ HEROES

Regarding the recent death of minority characters like Ryan Choi:
Itís so hard for me to be on the other side because itís not our intention. There is a reason behind it all. We donít see it that way and strive very hard to have a diverse DCU. I mean, we have green, pink and blue characters. We have the Great Ten out there and I have counter statistics, but I wonít get into that. Itís not how we perceived it. We get the same thing about how we treat our female characters. - as quoted in Newsarama, June 6.
I have heard the "green" argument from senior DC management before. It's so sad.  At this point they are not capable of change.  There's isn't a financial incentive to do so. Their job is to keep old IP alive until they make a movie or TV show out of it, and Hollywood will always reinforce racist presumptions of the audience desires.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 08:15:59 am »
I thought it was bizarre he gives the green argument then remembers the Big Ten.  It's almost like, reflex comment then he remembers, I have a reargument for diversity. 

Of course the Big Ten run the villain-hero route.  Heroes when it suits the story, or villains when it suits a different story.  They were introduced fighting GL and the rest.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 08:18:16 am »
Edit previous comment--that was supposed to say "real argument" not reargument.  (Can't edit on my BlackBerry).

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 01:10:08 pm »
Yeah, I can see bizarre being the word here.  It was like he went the "pink, green and blue" route then all of a sudden remembered the Great Ten.  DC won't ever change.  They figure, they've given us Mr. Terrific and that's enough.  John Stewart fades back into the background and the Milestone Heroes would have been better off left in limbo until DMcD could have found a better home for them.  Instead of Brightest Day they should have named it Whitest Day.