Author Topic: The 5 Most Unintentionally Offensive Comic Book Characters  (Read 7920 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The 5 Most Unintentionally Offensive Comic Book Characters
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:13:26 am »
Funny how a 2nd Grader mind reads things--I never saw Tyroc's people as the entirity of Black People.  I just saw it as one group of Blacks among many.

I also didn't think his costume was all that weird.  Cosmic Boy's looked far more wrong than his.  (I never understood why Cosmic Boy was covering his breasts; it looked like a girl's costume to me.  Looking back, it looked like the costumes the White and Black Queens of the hellfire club wore.). Tyroc's looked like it belonged in the Robin's family of clothes and that didn't bother my 1970's 2nd grade mind.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:30:38 am »
Yeah, Folks tend to over-think stuff.

Tyroc's Costume wasn't anymore goofy than's Cosmis Boy's infamous getup or Colossal Boy(Bare arms AND legs, IRRC) for that matter.

As for the racial overtones?

Hell, I WOULD PAY MONEY to be allowed to write the adventures of a clan of futuristic Garveyites on a floating island.

Are you kidding me? That ish is a Feature not a Flaw.

"...Enter the Council Of Griots brother Tyroc."

"Legionnare Tyroc, reporting for duty, Brother West, how can I help?" ;D

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:10:43 am »
I've always wanted to read a Tyroc adventure. I love his powers.

I remember actually being excited to see Tyroc in the Legion cartoon show a few years back. He was mostly in the back ground kicking ass, but his scenes were pretty damn awesome.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 11:11:03 am »
I've always wanted to read a Tyroc adventure. I love his powers.

I remember actually being excited to see Tyroc in the Legion cartoon show a few years back. He was mostly in the back ground kicking ass, but his scenes were pretty damn awesome.

wow, you guys actually wanted more of Tyroc adventures. Even reading that it seemed wrong. I guess one can update that now but all the Black people on one island or 'little africa' whoa. Somebody needs to be beaten.
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 11:21:11 am »
I'm sure someone can make a respectable story of the character. Look at the crap DC tried to do with Black Lightning before Tony Isabella got involved.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:30:52 am »
There was a lot of respectful Tyroc storylines done with the "adult Legion".  This was the Dominion had captured the earth, but they remained hidden.  Tyroc ran the human resistance and once they freed the earth from Dominator control, he was elected, President of the Earth.

(They still had the backdrop of the Island and Earthgov/Dominators slaughtered them all.  But of course by this time, we learned that Blacks were not all on one island. 

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 11:32:21 am »
The Falcon origin revamp made me stop reading Captain America for a decade or more. 

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 02:40:23 pm »
The Falcon origin revamp made me stop reading Captain America for a decade or more. 

uh oh...what happened?
i dont know this story.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 04:26:56 pm »

uh oh...what happened?
i dont know this story.

Basically, they gave him a backstory that made him into Sam "Snap" Wilson, pimp extraordinaire...before being brainwashed into becoming the Falcon, of course.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »
Was it (Falcon's origin) a revamp or always intended?  (Not that it makes it better)

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 04:58:41 pm »
Was it (Falcon's origin) a revamp or always intended?  (Not that it makes it better)

I'm almost 100% sure that it was a revamp in a feeble attempt to add depth to his character since he was created by Stan Lee and Gene Colan and the backstory was filled in by Steve Englehart.  I don't think Stan would have had it in him to make Captain America's sidekick a one-time pimp.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 05:33:28 pm »

uh oh...what happened?
i dont know this story.

VERY badly writing .. He went from a Black man who became a social worker to better himself, his community & etc in his own way after his parents deaths & who then met Steve R & became his partner... to a black man who ran away home to become a pimp after his parents death, didn't do anything to really better himself or his community then was brainwashed by a Nazi & then need to be redeem by a white man because he now was recton into being to stupid to be a good person/man with without Steve R help....  

Great job   :P Steve Englehart  :P messing up marvel 1st AA super hero...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:46:58 pm by 4sake »
Pull List

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 05:33:51 pm »

http://www.fortunecity.com/tatooine/niven/142/opinion/opi11.html
Pull List

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 05:43:53 pm »
Mandrill and Nekra should be on this list but who knows they could have be made to be offensive on purpose.. Also Battlestar shouldn't been on this list also..

Any chance you could write a mini or 1 shot or back up or etc fixing/rectoning that HORRIBLE recton... 
Pull List