Author Topic: Doomwar # 4 Review!  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Wakandan561

• View Profile
Doomwar # 4 Review!
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:15:50 pm »
I haven't seen any official reviews yet for Doomwar # 4, but if you haven't picked it up, Get it!!!!! This issue was great, we get to see just about everybody in action. We actually get Storm and T'challa interacting a little bit. The Battle scenes between Shuri and the FF and the Doombots was awesome. Plus we finally get to see the Tension that was shown between T'challa and Shuri in Dw # 1 come to a head! and The Ending with Deadpool was genius lol
The Absence of Evidence is not The Evidence of Absence

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Doomwar # 4 Review!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:41:34 pm »
Well, Storm really didn't "go Hulk" this issue either but she definitely fought very well, though most of it was off-panel, and thus my only complaint.  So much action and we only get snippets of it.  Funny, most of the time Marvel stretches stories that don't need to be stretched, but I definitely wouldn't have minded more action pages here, even if we had another issue..

Offline Wakandan561

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:12:30 pm »
I kno, I think we will probably get more action in Doomwar # 5, but Maberry made it clear that T'challa won't step into the ring until Doomwar # 6

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:00:46 pm »
I wasn't that impressed with Doomwar #4. As Kip alluded to, a lot of action took place off-panel or was given to us in bite size, and T'Challa and Reed pretty much stood around the whole issue, and talked without taking action. A big deal was made about Deadpool-with him even on the cover-and then he shows up in like the last two pages? I'm not a fan of Deadpool and don't think he needs to be in the mini at all, but since his inclusion was a selling point for this issue, it felt like a cheat to only have him show up at the end. We also have yet to see Storm truly cut loose. I think she deserves that after being put through the wringer.

I would like to actually see there be a real 'chess' game between Doom and T'Challa, so far Doom has bested T'Challa and the others at every turn. I got mixed feelings about that. On one hand I like the idea of a hero being pushed to his limits, of facing an overwhelming challenge. I think Mr. Maberry has done that part beautifully. I don't want the win to be easy, I want it to be hard, and really show the heart of the heroes. That being said, I was hoping we would see more signs of a comeback for the heroes in this issue, and we got some vague talk about shadow physics and then T'Challa supposedly bringing Deadpool into the game, but I would like to see more of two master strategists checking each other, and using people like pawns. Really that should've been T'Challa doing that instead of Shuri in this issue.

I also find it odd that there would be fighting in NY and the Avengers wouldn't be involved in some form or fashion. If Doom has become such a global threat, it seems like there would be more people lining up to fight him.

The book was fast paced though it felt like filler to me. Nothing really substantial happened in the book, just a bunch of jibber jabber about what each Doom and T'Challa were going to do, without much really being done. The biggest move was Deadpool's appearance, but that was at the end. I don't see how Deadpool can change the game anyway, if Doom is now so powerful.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:37:18 pm »
Really enjoyed this issue....this is what the book could have spent years during (even tying in to Doom's appearance back in Black Panther #19 and becoming a sub-plot for years...like a 5 year type deal to make it more dramatic).  Mayberry is bringing the type of threat that T'Challa has not had in years in the form of Doom....this is the type of villain that he needed for quite some time and it is what makes a hero the best...he is judged by the villains who come to challenge him.  Hopefully, there will be an opportunity to create more threats of this caliber for Black Panther.

Think that whole thing with Storm cutting loose has been altered due to the added issue and should come further toward the end...it feels like the book was reworked to some degree as the readership grew and the sold out issues took their attention and caused some pacing to change.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:56:35 am »
Wakandan561, agree with what you said.  I think the issue is "less" because it all depends on where we go now.  If the story ends well, this works; if it doesn't, well...

(Don't care for DP either.)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:38:01 am »
Now I'm really wondering about the abount of editorial "input" in this mini.

It seems like Mayberry was allowed to have either the X-Men or Deadpool as guest stars but not both at the same time.

It seems weird that the X-Men would just go about thier business after rescuing her. The Panthers could have certainly used them.

Other than that I'm still enjoying this.

Shuri seems to be willing to sacrifice her entire Dora army to get at Doom. T'Challa might be willing to go even farther(If I understand the implications of his mad scientist act).

Offline Wakandan561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 10:25:53 am »
I'm still wondering what Deadpool's purpose is though, I know that T'challa can't think that Deadpool could deffeat Doom By himself, maybe he will serve as a distraction. Plus maberry is supossed to Introduce a "Surprise Guest" in Doomwar # 5 wonder who thats going to be.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 11:04:18 am »
I'm still wondering what Deadpool's purpose is though, I know that T'challa can't think that Deadpool could deffeat Doom By himself, maybe he will serve as a distraction. Plus maberry is supossed to Introduce a "Surprise Guest" in Doomwar # 5 wonder who thats going to be.

We'll find out next issue, I gather. However, you must note that Deadpool is crazy and he can't be killed. It was probably his idea to go up to Latervria and bust Doom himself. But me thinks he's there just to get some valuable information for T'Challa and Reed not to actually defeat Doom.
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 03:05:05 pm »
Deadpool can't be killed and Doom can't reason with him.

Having an unstoppable manaic running around Doom's home killing everybody who he runs into should serve as a distraction for Doom at absolute worst.

Its interesting to note thst while Shuri's rashness has Team Doom off guard, the only person who can actually stop him is T'Challa and his Shadow Physics.

Although I'm not sure I like where this heading for T'Challa personally.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 06:15:14 pm »
Deadpool can't be killed and Doom can't reason with him.

Having an unstoppable manaic running around Doom's home killing everybody who he runs into should serve as a distraction for Doom at absolute worst.

Its interesting to note thst while Shuri's rashness has Team Doom off guard, the only person who can actually stop him is T'Challa and his Shadow Physics.

Although I'm not sure I like where this heading for T'Challa personally.

Doom can actually hold Deadpool prisoner if nothing else.

I like where T'Challa is going with this though. Shuri's rashness doesn't have Toom off guard, it seems to me like Doom was expecting it though. If he was really off guard Doom would have been more worried towards the end of that story but it seemed to me Doom was more then ready for Shuri impulse decision.

Shadow Physics?

However, T'Challa was being too analytical. Shuri was right about one thing. They had to be more reactive to the situation at hand. So maybe this time T'Challa will turn the tables on Doom. 
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Naki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 03:41:41 am »
FYI

DoomWar #4 Review
Doom takes on... Deadpool?
May 26, 2010
by Tyler Parker DoomWar has quickly become a very frustrating book to read. What started as a potentially unique take on both the implications of Vibranium and Dr. Doom himself, has quickly diminished into an overlong bore fest. Let's just be honest – six issues is way too long for this miniseries. It's becoming fairly clear that there was never enough story content to justify six installments of DoomWar and this issue is proof.

I should probably start by saying that Jonathan Maberry is actually a quite talented writer. In the first two issues of the series he displayed his competence of the characters and gave some compelling dialogue to progress the story. The problem now is… well, the story has disappeared. I'm aware that Wakanda is at war with Dr. Doom, but this is the second issue in a row where absolutely nothing has happened.

I'll be fairly amazed if many people make it to the end of this issue without completely losing interest. The most interesting reveal comes at the conclusion of the issue when we witness Black Panther's plan to stop Dr. Doom – Deadpool. Yes, that's right. T'Challa's grand plan and last resort to stop Dr. Doom is to send in Deadpool. It's so absurd that it actually works and was, in my case, laugh inducing. I'm sure that Wade Wilson is only part of T'Challa's scheme, but his inclusion in the story is still unnecessary and feels out of place. It also marks a dramatic shift in the tone of the story. What was once a hard-boiled, gritty tale of war has turned into a book of one-liners featuring Wade. Needless to say, I was quite baffled but also relieved at his appearance. The rest of the book was so boring that Deadpool was almost a welcome respite.

In summation, the first 30 pages of the book showcase the Wakandan forces fighting Doom's new, vibranium-enhanced Doombots. They're losing the battle until suddenly they have the brilliant revelation to use their own vibranium weapons – then they're winning the battle. Then Doom puts on a new helmet and suddenly the good guys are losing again, at which point T'Challa sends in Deadpool. The narrative is unforgivably flawed in this issue and also suffers from some defective logic. I'm guessing that Doom's new helmet was supposed to equip him with more power, but there is no explanation whatsoever.

I was fairly confused by the end of the issue, but I'm not sure I care anymore. At one point I thought this mini-series might be worth a look in the trade department, but I'm not sure about that anymore either. There's always a possibility that Maberry and Eaton can put together an entertaining conclusion to DoomWar, but there's no changing the fact that the middle portion of the story has been fatally squandered.

.IGN Ratings for DoomWar #4.
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
OVERALL Meh
(out of 10)

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 06:50:27 am »
Let's just be honest – six issues is way too long for this miniseries. It's becoming fairly clear that there was never enough story content to justify six installments of DoomWar and this issue is proof.

This I disagree with throw (even throw it IGN who dis anything BP related for past what 5-7 years.. they have point with the rest).. There more enuff story to fill a 6 issue main mini & a few tie-ins (atleast 7-10 tie-in issues), but for what ever reason that not the story we seem to getting here.. So the story is there it just not being written as such for whatever reason.. 
Pull List

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 09:40:43 am »
First, a lot of stuff happened in the last two issues, mainly, Doom is on to step two of his plans--utilizing the tech with these new Doombots. 

But I again say the problem is that story should have focused on the fighting, instead of showing us snippits of the fight.  People read comics for super-powered fights. 

Yeah, T'challa is being too overly analytical, or too much a General rather than a warrior.  (It's also interesting that this issue, basically says everything T has done since his recovery was wrong-headed.  So much for BP having a plan for everything.)

Sometimes, it comes across as the kid who is uncool and average trying so hard to be Cool and Tough.  He's the kid who is saying "See, look what I did!  I'm cool, I'm tough;  Yes I am!", while all the other kids roll their eyes.  All this planning, all his scheming; he's trying too hard.  Writers need to stop obsessing on "the plans" and get to the action. (And this isn't the first time I've felt this.)

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 03:31:18 pm »
...But I again say the problem is that story should have focused on the fighting, instead of showing us snippits of the fight.  People read comics for super-powered fights. 

Yeah, T'challa is being too overly analytical, or too much a General rather than a warrior.  (It's also interesting that this issue, basically says everything T has done since his recovery was wrong-headed.  So much for BP having a plan for everything.)

Sometimes, it comes across as the kid who is uncool and average trying so hard to be Cool and Tough.  He's the kid who is saying "See, look what I did!  I'm cool, I'm tough;  Yes I am!", while all the other kids roll their eyes.  All this planning, all his scheming; he's trying too hard.  Writers need to stop obsessing on "the plans" and get to the action. (And this isn't the first time I've felt this.)

Amen brother, Aaaaymen!

Peace,

Mont