Author Topic: WHY IS SPIDER-MAN WHITE?  (Read 9634 times)

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: WHY IS SPIDER-MAN WHITE?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 10:07:58 am »
     I guess i'm tipping my hand here but guess who's white?  Now, while that was an interesting article my friend I see a few problems.  Firstly any group of fans passionate about anything do not want what they know to be changed.  They want what they see on screen to be exactly the same as what they've been reading for years.  Does anyone remember the big outcry when the rumor came that Liv Tyler as Arwen was going to join the fellowship when the first Lord of the Rings movie came out?  Or when Spawn came out and Terry Fitzgerald was played by a white D.B. Sweeney?  Or the outcry when Halle Berry was cast as Storm and she wasn't black enough?  The LOUD complaint I heard that Terence Howard was too light to play Rhodey.  And Hugh Jackman was too tall for Wolverine?  Ben Affleck's hair wasn't red enough to be Matt Murdock.  Bullseye isn't Irish.  Brandon Routh was too skinny for Super-man.  Etc, etc, etc.........I could keep citing examples but we all know that there is a vocal minority of fanboys (and girls) who make all the noise and get all the attention and it isn't always about race but it is always about changing what the fanboys see as "their" character. 

Secondly your article was quite specific in it's suggestions.  It is asked why he couldn't be black instead of white.  Why stop there?  He could be American Indian, Chinese, Aborigine, South American, Inuit Eskimo, Jewish, Indian, or Middle Eastern.  Why are the only choices black or white? 

Did you actually READ the article beyond it's title?
There's a flip side to 'Why is Spider-Man white?', and it's 'Why does Spider-Man have to be black?' He doesn't. That's the thing that people who are freaking out about a black guy wanting a crack at the role are missing. He doesn't have to be black.

He could be, I don't know, Indian, maybe

Offline Joel Mangrum

• View Profile
    • The Dollar Bin
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 11:14:22 am »
     I guess i'm tipping my hand here but guess who's white?  Now, while that was an interesting article my friend I see a few problems.  Firstly any group of fans passionate about anything do not want what they know to be changed.  They want what they see on screen to be exactly the same as what they've been reading for years.  Does anyone remember the big outcry when the rumor came that Liv Tyler as Arwen was going to join the fellowship when the first Lord of the Rings movie came out?  Or when Spawn came out and Terry Fitzgerald was played by a white D.B. Sweeney?  Or the outcry when Halle Berry was cast as Storm and she wasn't black enough?  The LOUD complaint I heard that Terence Howard was too light to play Rhodey.  And Hugh Jackman was too tall for Wolverine?  Ben Affleck's hair wasn't red enough to be Matt Murdock.  Bullseye isn't Irish.  Brandon Routh was too skinny for Super-man.  Etc, etc, etc.........I could keep citing examples but we all know that there is a vocal minority of fanboys (and girls) who make all the noise and get all the attention and it isn't always about race but it is always about changing what the fanboys see as "their" character. 

Secondly your article was quite specific in it's suggestions.  It is asked why he couldn't be black instead of white.  Why stop there?  He could be American Indian, Chinese, Aborigine, South American, Inuit Eskimo, Jewish, Indian, or Middle Eastern.  Why are the only choices black or white? 

Did you actually READ the article beyond it's title?

I did read the entire article. 
Dollar Bin Podcaster

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 05:49:46 pm »
<<And the answer is that there's no reason. Peter Parker's racial heritage has no impact on his career as Spider-Man, >>

Over the years on this board I've learned some things.  On Smallville, Pete Ross was made Black, rather than white and some posters here complained that Ross was an unrealistic character.  The actor liked playing a "color-blind" character, but posters here said the Black experience is not the White experience. 

But now, when it runs the opposite, you say there is nothing essentially white about Peter?  That making him Black doesn't change anything?

Which is it?  Are color-blind characters good or bad?

Are the posters you're talking about from the Pete Ross thing the exact same posters you're talking about in reference to Black Spidey...?
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 06:18:36 pm »
<<He could be, I don't know, Indian, maybe>>

They have made a Indian Spider-man before.  (But he wasn't Peter Parker).  And they made a Japanese Spider-man, but I he wasn't Peter Parker either.  The Indian Spider-man apparently failed.  Manga Spider-man I believe is still going.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »
I"M honesty indifferent on this they can make PPa non white & I'd honestly be shocked & I'd lol at the some of the out rage, but It would make care more about him.. He cool & all, but just not a character I'm a big fan of..

I'm with  JRCarter, isaiah_bradley & Jay on this. I want to see a T'Challa/BP, Cage/Carl Lucas, Ororo/Strom, Jericho Drumm/Doctor Voodoo Monica Rambeau/Sceptre movies...   
Pull List

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 09:48:04 pm »
What is crazy is a white guy as the PRINCE OF PERSIA.  LA is full of good looking Persians.  Since Jake G. is a fine actor but not known for action roles, why not cast someone ethnically appropiate and make him a star?  Like they are doing for THOR, for example.

Offline Joel Mangrum

• View Profile
    • The Dollar Bin
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 08:00:48 pm »
What is crazy is a white guy as the PRINCE OF PERSIA.  LA is full of good looking Persians.  Since Jake G. is a fine actor but not known for action roles, why not cast someone ethnically appropiate and make him a star?  Like they are doing for THOR, for example.

Except for Jarhead can anyone name a good Jake G movie?
Dollar Bin Podcaster

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 09:40:21 pm »

October Sky  8)
Pull List

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 10:38:41 am »

Donnie Darko.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 01:51:38 pm »
If a simple question: 'Why is Spider-Man white?', can cause some folks' bowels to lock up, one can only imagine if Marvel actually did make Spidey non White, the ugly responses that would follow. Of course, it wouldn't be Racist remarks, just passionate fans blowing off some righteous steam.