Author Topic: WHY IS SPIDER-MAN WHITE?  (Read 8973 times)

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: WHY IS SPIDER-MAN WHITE?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 05:27:32 am »
Personally, I think being Black would change the dynamics of Spider-man, himself.  Since his costume is ripped constantly; since he shows his lower face to quite a few people including reporters, the world would know he is Black.  So then the question of his "outlaw" status would shift to being one about race rather than a newsman's hatred of Masks.  It would change the nature of Spider-man. 

You're assuming a "Black" Spider-Man would have dark skin. Why? We come in a wide range of "colors", including light:

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 05:29:51 am »
Rather than worrying about Spider-Man being Black, how about we get some of the Black superheroes we do have on the screen already? Long damn past overdue for Black Panther and Luke Cage movies!

Agreed! What's your plan of action to make it happen?

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 06:20:30 am »
Good damn article........LMAO@all the racist posts under the link to that article.

White nerds are one of the most racist type of ppl ever.
MAYBE NOT, Sir!
The article points out that they maybe "painfully Aspergian".

DAMN! :D :D :D

Comics fans HATE CHANGE.

ANY. CHANGE.

So when a character goes from comics to film for the fan the FIRST question is not "is it good?" its "how close is it to the original comics?".

I have heard folk talk about how good the first Spider Man movie is then they'll go into a bitch-fest about the organic web shooters.

When they made Alicia black in Fantastic Four movie I didn't care at all. I did however have a big problem with  Mike Clarke being Kingpin.

So i'm in the middle of the Aspergian scale. ;D   

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 07:17:16 am »
Rather than worrying about Spider-Man being Black, how about we get some of the Black superheroes we do have on the screen already? Long damn past overdue for Black Panther and Luke Cage movies!

i totally agree with you. i could careless what color spiderman is white. im not a fan of the spidey comics. but i do like the movies and the cartoons.

That's fine, but do you argee/disagree with the writer's answer to the question why is Spider-Man white?
And the answer is that there's no reason.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:57:10 am »
Agreed.  Turning Alicia Masters black was no big deal.  If anything, made the character more interesting. 

The organic web shooter drama was insane.  Before the movie came out, Avi Arad asked me what I thought.  I told him it made all the sense in the world for them to be organic. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 08:40:41 am »
The organic web shooter drama was insane.  Before the movie came out, Avi Arad asked me what I thought.  I told him it made all the sense in the world for them to be organic. 

Heh...
When titans talk.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 09:00:49 am »
<<Quote from: Reginald Hudlin on Today at 07:57:10 AMThe organic web shooter drama was insane.  Before the movie came out, Avi Arad asked me what I thought.  I told him it made all the sense in the world for them to be organic. >>

Two biggest complaints I heard about that was A) it made Peter look less intelligent.  It took a genius to invent the webs.  B). If they're organic then they should have come from his butt because that's where a spider's webs come from.

For me, whether change is good or not all depends on the execution.  If it is done well, I don't usually have a problem with it; if it is done poorly, then I don't like it.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 10:52:00 am »
Fanboys also flipped out when they found out Idirs Elba was going to be Hiemdall. You had the guys who were all like,"Nooo!" then you had the guys who were only cool with because they thought it was following a storyline in the comics(in other words Elba wouldn't REALLY be Hiemdall-just his host body. If a white Viking dude were to later jump out of Elba's body they'd of been cool with THAT).

That Hiemdall is a 6th banana behind the Loki, Balder and the Warriors Three and doesn't matter enough for his race to be an issue does not come into thier thinking.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 11:16:24 am »
Two biggest complaints I heard about that was A) it made Peter look less intelligent.  It took a genius to invent the webs.  B). If they're organic then they should have come from his butt because that's where a spider's webs come from.

Following that logic, then perhaps Peter should have multiple eyes, grow extra arms and sprouts lots of hair
---in places where the sun doesn't shine! ;)

Offline Afro Samurai

• THE BLACK MAN IS GOD!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 11:27:29 am »
The more blacker the better i say.
INTERRACIAL RELATIONSHIPS IS A SIN!!!!!! YOU'LL DIE QUICKER AND ALSO BURN IN HELL. THOSE ARE THE FACTS, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 12:02:51 pm »
....I enjoyed Wild Wild West, but I felt that Jim West's playboy/western Bond angle should have been played up more, and I wouldn't have minded if the inherent racial subtext of a post Civil-War black man as a Fed was downplayed.. also they made Artemus a stuffy science-geek, which he wasn't in the original show..

I was on the fence with MCD as Kingpin.  I wasn't offended, but I felt they didn't give him much to do except until the end..

when the next Spidey films come out, I hope they don't ignore his black supporting cast this time- give Joe Robertson something to do, also bring in Randy Robertson, Hobie Brown, Glory Grant, Bob Farrell... make them classmates..
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:05:06 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 12:03:00 pm »

Following that logic, then perhaps Peter should have multiple eyes, grow extra arms and sprouts lots of hair
---in places where the sun doesn't shine! ;)

:P

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 02:08:40 pm »
Fanboys also flipped out when they found out Idirs Elba was going to be Hiemdall. You had the guys who were all like,"Nooo!" then you had the guys who were only cool with because they thought it was following a storyline in the comics(in other words Elba wouldn't REALLY be Hiemdall-just his host body. If a white Viking dude were to later jump out of Elba's body they'd of been cool with THAT).

That Hiemdall is a 6th banana behind the Loki, Balder and the Warriors Three and doesn't matter enough for his race to be an issue does not come into thier thinking.

6th?  :D.. I think ur being a lil to nice to Hiemdall VV, I'd say he 8th at best in movie.. with Odin & Sif being a head of him also... :D But I agree... 8) & maybe around 5th-7th in the comic now depending if they bring Sif, BRB, & etc back in the Thor book.. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:10:26 pm by 4sake »
Pull List

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 11:26:10 pm »

I have to say, I'm not for turning Spiderman black. Even though I believe that Donald Gover would make an excellent Peter Parker. What I would like to see is more actual Black Super heroes on the screen. Frankly, I think turning Spiderman black is like saying ...

we can't come up with anything better. Please give us your most successful super hero because we ran out of character ideas. And there's no current Black hero better.

???

That's not a message I want to send.

and if we get the keys to make Parker black. What's to stop a white fan from turning T'Challa white?

So I have to co-sign with Carter. Leave Spiderman alone. And let's get Cage, Panther, Falcon, Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning, or hell bring back Meteor man.

Besides why would you want a Black actor to play Spiderman? I have a feeling that movie is going to be garbage. They're going to start with the origin story AGAIN! That movie is going to tank so bad. And I'll bet a million dollars the heads of Sony will NEVER cast a Black man to play Peter Parker.

With that all that said. Let's ask the real question ... why does MJ have to be white?

sweet MJ  :-*
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Joel Mangrum

• View Profile
    • The Dollar Bin
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 09:49:35 am »
     I guess i'm tipping my hand here but guess who's white?  Now, while that was an interesting article my friend I see a few problems.  Firstly any group of fans passionate about anything do not want what they know to be changed.  They want what they see on screen to be exactly the same as what they've been reading for years.  Does anyone remember the big outcry when the rumor came that Liv Tyler as Arwen was going to join the fellowship when the first Lord of the Rings movie came out?  Or when Spawn came out and Terry Fitzgerald was played by a white D.B. Sweeney?  Or the outcry when Halle Berry was cast as Storm and she wasn't black enough?  The LOUD complaint I heard that Terence Howard was too light to play Rhodey.  And Hugh Jackman was too tall for Wolverine?  Ben Affleck's hair wasn't red enough to be Matt Murdock.  Bullseye isn't Irish.  Brandon Routh was too skinny for Super-man.  Etc, etc, etc.........I could keep citing examples but we all know that there is a vocal minority of fanboys (and girls) who make all the noise and get all the attention and it isn't always about race but it is always about changing what the fanboys see as "their" character. 

Secondly your article was quite specific in it's suggestions.  It is asked why he couldn't be black instead of white.  Why stop there?  He could be American Indian, Chinese, Aborigine, South American, Inuit Eskimo, Jewish, Indian, or Middle Eastern.  Why are the only choices black or white?  In fact i'll take it further than that, why does Spider-man have to be a man?  I know, I know, the word man is in his name but stay with me here.  The mask muffles his voice, he's covered head to toe, and the proper padding could make a flat-chested woman pass as a guy easily.

As far as changing how the character looks why would anyone want to do that except to prove how "daring" they are?  I would be as unhappy with changing Peter's hair color to blonde as I would be with changing his race to.....well anything. 

Let's look at the second Mr Terrific, a wonderful black character.  Is there anything about him that screams that he has to be black if they ever made a movie?  The nanites that cover the his face as a T could easily be expanded across his entire face.  If they found the right actor to play him why couldn't Mr Terrific be white or asian, etc......?

I'll i'm saying is that how a character looks is as much a part of who they are as the costume they wear (Spider-clone hoodie anyone?) or their name.  If you don't want to do the character right then don't do it.
Dollar Bin Podcaster