Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Writer Jonathan Maberry on Books, Comics, Movies, DoomWar, Wolfman  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=18875

Interview above.

COMICBOOKMOVIE: With only two issues left until its conclusion can you give us an idea what to expect?

JONATHAN MABERRY: Mmm…hard to say without spoilers. If you saw the previews they put up for issue #5 you know that War Machine makes an appearance. He’ll be in #5 and #6, as will Deadpool. There’s also a new team of elite Dora Milaje warriors called the Midnight Angels.

Some folks got jittery when they saw that Deadpool was on deck, I guess fearing that his wackiness would hijack the series…but that was never going to happen. He’s a soldier in the war. Useful, of course, and let’s face it, Deadpool is always Deadpool…but this isn’t his story. He’s part of the allied forces aligned against Doom.

Aside from that, I can’t tell you what happens in the last act, but I can guarantee that it will be talked about. The book won’t end the way a lot of people think it will. And I may get burned at the stake for how I end things, but I maintain that it is the best way to end this story. Besides, I always like stories that take risks. So…I’m taking a big one.

:(

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Two ways to take it--he destroys Doom which will burn him at a big stake or he does something to T/Wakanda which burns him at a smaller stake.  The former seems more likely, given his statement.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
I think it's the latter. Since Doom is going to be in the new FF arc, or it be a freaking Doombot...or something.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Yeah, probably, but he may plan something devestating for Doom, but he has no control over the next guy so he's not writing for that.

(Or worse thing he could do, Shuri beats Doom.  That will tick off T's fans and Doom's fans.)

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
Yeah, probably, but he may plan something devestating for Doom, but he has no control over the next guy so he's not writing for that.

(Or worse thing he could do, Shuri beats Doom.  That will tick off T's fans and Doom's fans.)

If he does that...it will really hurt the Black Panther. T'challa more then anything. There is no way that Shuri should have more stake in this thing. Doom did not try to kill her...Shuri hasn't been hurt anywhere close to T'challa...and that would be flat out bad writing.

For example...the Human Torch, Storm should not even be able to hurt the new Doombots...I can over look that...but something like Shuri beating Doom...while T'challa standing around like a coward is not something I want to see.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
T'Challa suffers and barely survives a brutal assassination attempt having to be rescued by his loving Queen Ororo to do so.

T'Challa is betrayed by his own people, the most despicable of those pledging allegiance to a white outworlder (regarding him as their "Lord) who also happens to be an arch-villian. The betrayal is so complete and devastating that Doom is allowed to become a parasite like a heartworm in a dog's heart, compromising the health of that heart until it explodes and just as the poor dog dies, Wakanda was conquered and destroyed. And worst of all perhaps, T'Challa is betrayed by his own god who takes the side of the invading white outworlder.

T'Challa has not been shown able to defeat Doom one-on-one and has been hard pressed to make Doom sweat even with all of the help he's had to call in.

T'Challa has lost.

Maberry won't be burned at any stake. The larger comicbook-reading demographic will happily set him up with a year's supply of filet mignon in gratitude for his utter humiliation and destruction of the comicbook industry's premier Black superhero called the Black Panther, the very name of that character having been an affront to many of the LCB-RD for decades.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
T'Challa suffers and barely survives a brutal assassination attempt having to be rescued by his loving Queen Ororo to do so.

T'Challa is betrayed by his own people, the most despicable of those pledging allegiance to a white outworlder (regarding him as their "Lord) who also happens to be an arch-villian. The betrayal is so complete and devastating that Doom is allowed to become a parasite like a heartworm in a dog's heart, compromising the health of that heart until it explodes and just as the poor dog dies, Wakanda was conquered and destroyed. And worst of all perhaps, T'Challa is betrayed by his own god who takes the side of the invading white outworlder.

T'Challa has not been shown able to defeat Doom one-on-one and has been hard pressed to make Doom sweat even with all of the help he's had to call in.

T'Challa has lost.

Maberry won't be burned at any stake. The larger comicbook-reading demographic will happily set him up with a year's supply of filet mignon in gratitude for his utter humiliation and destruction of the comicbook industry's premier Black superhero called the Black Panther, the very name of that character having been an affront to many of the LCB-RD for decades.

It will be no surprise if either T'Challa or Wakanda (or both) get blown up. Look at War Of Kings.T'Challa hasn't been an Avenger for while now so nothing he does matters to Marvel fans anyway. What matters most in the ongoing storyline of Secret Invasion-Dark Reign-Age Of Heroes. Any character who isn't in that mix is maginalised. They can bring back Agents Of Atlas til they drop but they can't make fans care about that book either.

TChalla's in the same boat Moon Knight is in except that Moony ended up an Avenger after his book got axed.

A big shocker would be the Panthers actually offing Doom. Nobody expects that.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile

T'Challa has lost.

It will be no surprise if either T'Challa or Wakanda (or both) get blown up. Look at War Of Kings.T'Challa hasn't been an Avenger for while now so nothing he does matters to Marvel fans anyway. What matters most in the ongoing storyline of Secret Invasion-Dark Reign-Age Of Heroes. Any character who isn't in that mix is maginalised. They can bring back Agents Of Atlas til they drop but they can't make fans care about that book either.

TChalla's in the same boat Moon Knight is in except that Moony ended up an Avenger after his book got axed.

I agree, Vic. But...when has the Black Panther ever not been marginalized? Skimming over the early Avengers stories written by Roy Thomas, I'm beginning to discern what seems to be a real effort by Thomas to push T'Challa as a true force to be reckoned with. IMO, Thomas' T'Challa was a cross between Kato and Wolverine. The Green Hornet was the star of the show, but it was the enigmatic Kato (Bruce Lee) who fans tuned in to see. T'Challa was also sort of the Avengers' "Wolverine" without all the vulgar, repugnant, stupid attributes which make Wolverine what he is.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

T'Challa has lost.

I agree, Vic. But...when has the Black Panther ever not been marginalized? Skimming over the early Avengers stories written by Roy Thomas, I'm beginning to discern what seems to be a real effort by Thomas to push T'Challa as a true force to be reckoned with. IMO, Thomas' T'Challa was a cross between Kato and Wolverine. The Green Hornet was the star of the show, but it was the enigmatic Kato (Bruce Lee) who fans tuned in to see. T'Challa was also sort of the Avengers' "Wolverine" without all the vulgar, repugnant, stupid attributes which make Wolverine what he is.

The Avengers team at the time was Pym, Wasp, Hawkeye/Goliath, T'Challa and the Vision. Scarlet Witch and Quiksilver show up again later. So T'challa was also very clearly second in command of the Avengers after Pym. Even though its not stated. . And considering how many issues Pym had back then, T'Challa gets to bark out lots of orders.

Until Cap shows up. And the pecking order of Cap then Pym reasserts itself.

Offline The Cat

• View Profile

Interview above.

COMICBOOKMOVIE: With only two issues left until its conclusion can you give us an idea what to expect?

JONATHAN MABERRY: Mmm…hard to say without spoilers. If you saw the previews they put up for issue #5 you know that War Machine makes an appearance. He’ll be in #5 and #6, as will Deadpool. There’s also a new team of elite Dora Milaje warriors called the Midnight Angels.

Some folks got jittery when they saw that Deadpool was on deck, I guess fearing that his wackiness would hijack the series…but that was never going to happen. He’s a soldier in the war. Useful, of course, and let’s face it, Deadpool is always Deadpool…but this isn’t his story. He’s part of the allied forces aligned against Doom.

Aside from that, I can’t tell you what happens in the last act, but I can guarantee that it will be talked about. The book won’t end the way a lot of people think it will. And I may get burned at the stake for how I end things, but I maintain that it is the best way to end this story. Besides, I always like stories that take risks. So…I’m taking a big one.

Hmmm... So the horror for T'challa continues!  ::)

I'm wondering now, if this sweeping editorial change was the reason why Reggie decided to step aside.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile

T'Challa has lost.

I totally agree. He doesn't get it...and Marvel is pretty loose because he is a great novelist. They want him...

I still think that Jason Aaron got it...that is what people want to see from T'challa, bad ass and look at the rave reviews...even Joe Q said it was the best of S.I...and It was....Black Panther fans are TIRED of seeing T'challa dragged through hell...what is it that they don't get?

Most comic fans LOVED his arc on Black Panther. He just mixed Hudlin's run with Priest...which was King Batman...and made him as bad ass as he should be..

There is no way at all that Doomwar is going to make people want to read Black Panther..."See Wakanda and Die" did...

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile

T'Challa has lost.

Also Johns did the same in Red Zone...T'challa was the big 4...and was the Batman of the Avengers...

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile

Interview above.

Hmmm... So the horror for T'challa continues!  ::)

I'm wondering now, if this sweeping editorial change was the reason why Reggie decided to step aside.

Agreed...I want to hear what Mr. Hudlin would have done...it crazy all the hate he has gotten..but now you see people saying they dropped the book because he left...and Babs on Comicvine is one of his biggest supporters...and she is ripping Doomwar apart.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I have never paid attention to fans on the internet for this very reason.

X-Fan bitch and complain about Fraction's X-Men but the books sells well. So that's all just noise.

I try to figure stuff out from the numbers.

The numbers for Flags Of our Fathers #1 are out now. So you can figure stuff out from that.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
I have never paid attention to fans on the internet for this very reason.

X-Fan bitch and complain about Fraction's X-Men but the books sells well. So that's all just noise.

I try to figure stuff out from the numbers.

The numbers for Flags Of our Fathers #1 are out now. So you can figure stuff out from that.

Agreed. You see a ton of people now wanted Hudlin back. It's just like Priest. He got the same sh*t...but when he left people wanted him back. Now it's the same.

Flags is awesome.