Author Topic: Predators  (Read 20399 times)

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
Predators
« on: June 12, 2010, 02:19:56 am »
So, I saw the trailer for the new Predator movie coming out. Adrian Brody and Lawrence Fishburne star in it. This time the movie takes place on the home planet of the predators. It looks okay based on the teaser. Robert Rodriguez is directing.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Predators
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 12:03:59 pm »
I have to remember to pick up the prequel comic from Dark Horse, supposed to be a mini-series.. 1st issue out now..

I'm still waiting on a comics-crossover with Marvel characters.. Panther, Wolverine, Punisher, Blade..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:44:57 pm »
Robert Rodriguez is directing.

No, he's producing it. Nimród Antal is directing it.

But it does look cool. I hope Fishburne is the last man standing.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:51:11 pm »

I doubt it. Adrian Brody is supposed to be the leader of the humans.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:21:26 am »

Which means absolutely nothing in movies like this. Ripley wasn't the leader in the first Alien movie, neither was Riddick in Pitch Black.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 05:15:58 pm »

Which means absolutely nothing in movies like this. Ripley wasn't the leader in the first Alien movie, neither was Riddick in Pitch Black.

Uh, no. Those examples occur at the start of of those film series. After Ripley and Riddick were established as the main protagonist they were the last to survive. The cycle is usually broken if the series is supposed to end, for example Ripley finally bought it in Aliens 3. However, they brought her back for Aliens 4 and the character lived on after that. Normally, in these types of movies, a hero is established and they live to the end. However, I agree that is not always the case.  

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 05:59:20 pm »
For all we know it is not the case HERE as well. I specifically mentioned the first chapters of ongoing series cause both featuring a team fighting a monster(s), and each had an apparent leader who wasn't the last one standing.

Predators, while a sequel, uses all new characters so same rules apply. So, again, Adrian Brody being the leader is no guarentee he'll survive to the very end. If you choose to believe so, go far it, but I believe who makes it is anyone's guess and *I* am hoping for Fishburne's character.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 11:56:29 pm »
For all we know it is not the case HERE as well. I specifically mentioned the first chapters of ongoing series cause both featuring a team fighting a monster(s), and each had an apparent leader who wasn't the last one standing.

Predators, while a sequel, uses all new characters so same rules apply. So, again, Adrian Brody being the leader is no guarentee he'll survive to the very end. If you choose to believe so, go far it, but I believe who makes it is anyone's guess and *I* am hoping for Fishburne's character.

I'm not for or against Adrian Brody surviving. I was only pointing out an inconvenient truth about Hollywood films of this genre. For the record, It would be cool if Lawrence Fishburne was the last one standing, but the odds are not in his favor. A) Lawrence is an older actor, B) Adrian Brody is younger and starting to make a re-emergence in horror/action films lately (i.e. Splice) and C) Adrian appeals to a the younger generation a bit more. where Lawrence appeals more to our generation still.

Now, is this a guarantee that that is what is going to happen? No. I never meant to say it was. I was just making a point an using the examples you gave and based on watching those films series. That's all.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 08:59:24 am »

I'm not for or against Adrian Brody surviving.

Sure sounds like you are. Or just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I was only pointing out an inconvenient truth about Hollywood films of this genre. For the record, It would be cool if Lawrence Fishburne was the last one standing, but the odds are not in his favor. A) Lawrence is an older actor, B) Adrian Brody is younger and starting to make a re-emergence in horror/action films lately (i.e. Splice) and C) Adrian appeals to a the younger generation a bit more. where Lawrence appeals more to our generation still.

So you went from saying Adrian will survive because he's the leader, to Adrian will survive cause he's Adrian. Okay...and younger or not, Fishburne I'd argue is still more of a name than he is, older or not. Yes Adrian's having a comeback (I kinda disagree there, but I'll take your word for it), but that still means nothing. He could survive, he could be the first to get killed off. Again, in movies like this, being the leader is the same as being a red shirt. If he wasn't the leader I might think he has a chance.

Now, is this a guarantee that that is what is going to happen? No. I never meant to say it was. I was just making a point an using the examples you gave and based on watching those films series. That's all.

You seemed to have missed the point in the examples I gave, though, focusing solely on the sequels they produced that featured the characters, who was not the leaders originally in the first films, as the main character.

I don't think Adrian's character has a chance. The only question is will he be the first or next to last, and will he go out in an awesome way, or in a funny/punked out way. And while I WANT Laurence to be the last guy standing, he probably won't be either. If I was a betting man, I'd say the only person to make it to the end, to survive this, is Alice Braga. Not as popular as either Fishburne or Brody, but she's been in a few movies, plus her character will end up (if I'm correct) the lone woman on a predator planet. That sounds a lot like a character from one of the Predator novels/comics, and also seemed to be the theme they were going for with the heroines from AVP 1 and 2.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 09:58:59 am »
Plus, the male lead always saves the girl (except for the rare movie that breaks the genre rules).  But if she is the lead, the male will either die or be severely hurt.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:51:26 am »

I'm not for or against Adrian Brody surviving.

Sure sounds like you are. Or just arguing for the sake of arguing.

And I could attribute your reaction to be the same. But, I think that would be unfair as you and I are on a discussion forum and we are debating a topic. Debating means we may not agree with everything so we are both going to present points and counter points. I'm not trying to get into a heated argument. I'm just stating my opinion. I don't think I have to go into that explanation here, like so many folks have in the past, when debates do really become arguments because one person doesn't agree with the other on an Internet forum. I don't want an argument but I am up for a civil debate. I think you understand the difference, right?

I was only pointing out an inconvenient truth about Hollywood films of this genre. For the record, It would be cool if Lawrence Fishburne was the last one standing, but the odds are not in his favor. A) Lawrence is an older actor, B) Adrian Brody is younger and starting to make a re-emergence in horror/action films lately (i.e. Splice) and C) Adrian appeals to a the younger generation a bit more. where Lawrence appeals more to our generation still.
So you went from saying Adrian will survive because he's the leader, to Adrian will survive cause he's Adrian. Okay...and younger or not, Fishburne I'd argue is still more of a name than he is, older or not. Yes Adrian's having a comeback (I kinda disagree there, but I'll take your word for it), but that still means nothing. He could survive, he could be the first to get killed off. Again, in movies like this, being the leader is the same as being a red shirt. If he wasn't the leader I might think he has a chance.

Actually, I am saying both. Adrian is going to be the reluctant leader of the team and the facts of the actor being younger and a tie to the younger generation, that obviously the producers of the film are going to want to have a connection to. Fishburne and Brody have star power in Hollywood. Though I would agree with you that Lawrence has more, but because he is older and the producers of this type of action genre (especially the Predator series) usually put someone who appears to be able to handle the physical trials of the adventure, whether that is the actual case or not. Again, it is the misconception that a younger audience has when viewing the characters. I'm not saying I agree with it, I just think it something Hollywood does alot.
So I would disagree that the leader is like a "red shirt" . At least if we look at the history of the Predator series.

You seemed to have missed the point in the examples I gave, though, focusing solely on the sequels they produced that featured the characters, who was not the leaders originally in the first films, as the main character.

I don't think Adrian's character has a chance. The only question is will he be the first or next to last, and will he go out in an awesome way, or in a funny/punked out way. And while I WANT Laurence to be the last guy standing, he probably won't be either.

Yes, I guess I did miss your point because based on the examples of movies you gave (Predator and Aliens), in all the sequels, there was a character that was very early singled out for the hero/survivor. This occurred in ALL of the Predator movies. In Predator, Arnold Schwarzenegger was established in the first few minutes of the flick as the bad ass and leader. Predator 2, Danny Glover was established as the bad ass cop and leader who was going to go up against the creature. Predator vs. Aliens, Sanaa Latham was established to be the heroine/survivor who was a leader. In Predator vs Aliens: Requiem, The older, macho brother (I forget his the name) who comes back to town is established to be the cool hero (who also identifies with a younger generation coming into the Predator genre) and a leader. And the Aliens series? The first movie may have given you the impression that who survived was up for grabs, but if you look at the time the movie was made it was kind of obvious Ripley was going to survive. it was the 70's and the time of the "Scream Queens" in horror flicks. Everybody on the ship was male and the only other woman wasn't considered attractive. So the formula was kill off everyone except the sexy girl who screams and somehow kills the monster in the end. Occasionally one male may survive but you should understand my point about that horror genre back in that time. The rest is history as we all know Ripley lives throughout the series or is brought back from the dead. Oh by the way, she was a leader throughout those films too.

If you like, we can talk about the Riddick films too, as Riddick was established to be the badass anti-hero (and the narrator through some parts of the film, remember) early in the movie. So there wasn't any doubt he was going to live, actually. He was a "take charge" guy in the movies too.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the only person to make it to the end, to survive this, is Alice Braga. Not as popular as either Fishburne or Brody, but she's been in a few movies, plus her character will end up (if I'm correct) the lone woman on a predator planet. That sounds a lot like a character from one of the Predator novels/comics, and also seemed to be the theme they were going for with the heroines from AVP 1 and 2.

That is not a bad bet. I don't put it past the writers to let Alice Braga live either. She is an upcoming actress still that is showing up in more and more movies. Mainly as a love interest, but it's good to see her character has more to her then just screwing the main character in this flick (That's not fair. She didn't screw Will Smith or Chiwetel Ejiofor in their movies. But then these were black actors so there might be a reason there. But that is another discussion for another time...). Maybe she survives along with Adrian (or Lawrence if you like) or is the sole survivor. I do know about the Predator novel series and that would be an interesting end to the movie if she is the last one on the planet.

So, again, I'm not in favor of Adrian Brody being the last guy on the planet. If Lawrence some how survives, great! If Alice lives in the end, cool. I 'm not trying to say I am rooting for any one character to live or die. I'm only making an observation on the usual film progression formula based on the movies we are talking about in this particular discussion. Alot of remakes today are geared to connect to the younger audience so the actors who are favored in the film tend to be younger. That's all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:56:53 am by Evasive_1 »

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 10:52:08 am »
Plus, the male lead always saves the girl (except for the rare movie that breaks the genre rules).  But if she is the lead, the male will either die or be severely hurt.
Yeah, that happens alot too. I agree.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 11:38:12 am »
Weird I thought Topher Grace was the actor being used to "bridge the gap". Seems you're putting a lot into Adrian which is your right but not seeing it, and would be surprised if others see it too. Still seems like a red shirt, and at this point it does seem like you're arguing just to argue (irritated I corrected you over Rodriguez's actual role in making this move?). In any case, just have to wait and see. 

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 11:40:47 am »
Wow wish I could edit more but i'm not debating anything, i'm discussing it. Not trying to convince you of anything. You want to think Adrian is on a comeback with this movie knock yourself out. I explained why I don't think his character may be that important. Not trying to sell you on anything, trying to make myself clear and I have.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:35:34 pm by BPStorm4ever »

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 01:01:07 pm »
Wikipedia says "Topher Grace plays an accountant-type whose unassuming facade masks a dangerous serial killer."

I can see it already.  He will seem to be the weakling of the group.  no threat.  At some point, when he can take advantage of the situation, he will go kinda nutty.  And right as he is about to kill one of the group (probably the girl), boom, the predator kills him.