Author Topic: who's first?  (Read 7408 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
who's first?
« on: June 22, 2010, 08:14:34 am »
Who is the first black super-hero, outside of the Black Panther line?  I don't mean, first created hero, but who is Black Hero shown in the history of Marvel? Of DC?

(I'm excluding the Panther line, because A) it's a given, B) I don't want to get into the "what is a super-hero?" debate with BPs of history.)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: who's first?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:49 am »
during Marvel's "Timely" era, you had Whitewash Jones, but...  ::)  and I don't have the direct proof, but I vaguely recall reading an article about an African tribal teen in a one-shot appearance in some anthology series..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:37:55 am »
Are you talking non-retconned or the actual first in the history of the comics?  I'm more of a Marvel guy than a DC on, so I think on Marvel's side, you'd have to consider Gabriel Jones as it's first black "hero", then Bill Foster (Goliath), but he didn't become Goliath until issue #24 of Power Man, in between Gabriel Jones and Goliath's first appearance, you didn't have a black superhero at Marvel (excluding The Panther) until the Falcon in 1969.   So, I guess it would go...

1.  Bill Foster
2.  Black Panther (excluded)
3.  Falcon
4.  Luke Cage
5.  Brother Voodoo
6.  Blade

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:33:52 am »
during Marvel's "Timely" era, you had Whitewash Jones, but...  ::)  and I don't have the direct proof, but I vaguely recall reading an article about an African tribal teen in a one-shot appearance in some anthology series..

Timely-Atlas-Marvel had Waku back in 1954:

But it looks like Whitewash is Marvel's first, unless someone(PLEASE, PLEASE!!!) can find someone else.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 03:11:32 pm »
Like I said, "not when created".  I'm looking at first Black super-hero inside the Marvel universe, so recont additions to the past.  For example, at Marvel, Apocalypse or Sphinx is probably first Black Super-villain.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 06:45:09 am »
Like I said, "not when created".  I'm looking at first Black super-hero inside the Marvel universe, so recont additions to the past.  For example, at Marvel, Apocalypse or Sphinx is probably first Black Super-villain.

Okay then, for Marvel, maybe Isaiah Bradley?:

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 06:12:31 am »

Actually Bashenga (founder of the Black Panther cult) would technically be the First Black Superhero.

this topic just reminds me how irritated I am by that S.H.I.E.L.D. series.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 12:42:00 pm »

Actually Bashenga (founder of the Black Panther cult) would technically be the First Black Superhero.

Remember my first post though, "(I'm excluding the Panther line, because A) it's a given, B) I don't want to get into the "what is a super-hero?" debate with BPs of history.) "

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 04:09:26 pm »

Remember my first post though, "(I'm excluding the Panther line, because A) it's a given, B) I don't want to get into the "what is a super-hero?" debate with BPs of history.) "

OH ok....well in that case  I think Gabe Jones might still predate Isaiah Bradley by a bit. Other than that you'd probably have to look at one of the Eternals or something.