Author Topic: Teacher Fired For Having Premarital Sex, Sues Southland Christian School  (Read 9303 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Hmmm, debated over whether to post this here or under sexuality, but this seemed the most "right".  From the HUFFINGTON POST:

Jarretta Hamilton, Teacher Fired For Having Premarital Sex, Sues Southland Christian School (VIDEO)
First Posted: 06-14-10 03:09 PM   |   Updated: 06-14-10 03:09 PM

A Florida teacher is suing the private school that fired her for having premarital sex.

Jarretta Hamilton, a former fourth-grade teacher, appeared on the "Today" show Monday to talk about her lawsuit against Southland Christian School in St. Cloud, Fla.

Hamilton was fired in 2009 after going to school officials to ask for maternity leave. Hamilton, who is married, was asked by school officials about the date she conceived. When she explained that it was three weeks before her marriage to her husband, school officials decided to fire her. Hamilton, they argue, broke school policy to "maintain and communicate the values and purpose of [Southland Christian School]."

Hamilton is suing the school in federal court and is seeking "compensation for the loss of the job, and she's seeking compensatory damages for emotional distress," according to the Orlando Sentinal.

Recounting her story to Ann Curry, Hamilton and her husband explained that what bothered them the most was that school officials told colleagues and parents of students that Hamilton was fired for fornicating.

A letter from Southland Christian obtained by NBC News says that
"Jarretta was asked not to return because of a moral issue that was disregarded, namely fornication, sex outside of marriage."

The school asks that Hamilton drop her case and "consider the testimony of the Lord."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
wow.. I hope she has a good lawyer.. I empathize, but my guess is it's par for the course with religious-based private schools.. though I'm sure some administrators are more reactionary than others.. I wonder what these folks' policies are on hiring single, unwed parents, as that is more "common" today..  :-\
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
I hope she breaks their bank.

A$$holes.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Oh Good Grief. A CHRISTIAN school, that has a policy regarding fornication/pre-marital sex, yet when someone who works there of their own free will and can't follow the rules, that person wants to sue? Just because the rest of the world has lowered their standards, doesn't mean schools like this should. I hope they counter sue this ignoramus.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
She had sex with her fiancee and married him. She is currently married to him and about to give birth to their child which, presumably, they will raise as a Christian but, because she didn't wait three weeks, because she's not PERFECT, she's setting a bad example and deserves to be fired?

Have these people actually read the Bible? There's a lady named Mary they might want to look into.

It seems to me marrying the father of your child is precisely the message a Christian school would want to convey. Had they not asked about when she conceived they would have been perfectly fine with her teaching and with the example she was setting for kids.

Jesus tells his followers to be kind and just and to spread his faith not hypocritical, Holier Than Thou jerks.

She made an "error" and she corrected it. Trust me, God's fine with it. And so are the laws of this country. They will lose.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:02:38 pm by Redjack »

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Good Luck with that
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:18:26 pm »
She had sex with her fiancee and married him. She is currently married to him and about to give birth to their child which, presumably, they will raise as a Christian but, because she didn't wait three weeks, because she's not PERFECT, she's setting a bad example and deserves to be fired?
In the word's of Will Munny "Deserve's got nothing to do with it".
YOU should know better. :o

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
I do know better. I've read the book.

People walking around claiming to be following Jesus really don't have room to be judgmental hypocrites.

"First stone" and all that.

I hope she breaks them in half over this. They should be ashamed of themselves.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:01:17 pm by Redjack »

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I hope she breaks them in half over this.

Her "discrimination suit"? Yeah, keep dreaming. Keep hope alive "Jesse".

They should be ashamed of themselves.
No, they should be proud, stand tall and not let a society full of people with loose morals and low standards brow beat them into submission. That's what tax funded PUBLIC SCHOOLS are for. Maybe she can go work in West Baltimore or someplace like that.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
I hope she breaks them in half over this.

Her "discrimination suit"? Yeah, keep dreaming. Keep hope alive "Jesse".
Are you a legal expert? Or are you just expressing your lay opinion?

They should be ashamed of themselves.
No, they should be proud, stand tall and not let a society full of people with loose morals and low standards brow beat them into submission. That's what tax funded PUBLIC SCHOOLS are for. Maybe she can go work in West Baltimore or someplace like that.

Loose morals = sex with your fiancee? Really?

BTW, is there some gospel on premarital sex? I suspect this judgmental attitude comes from the church more so than the Bible.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
The OT says premarital sex or sex outside your marriage is punishable by death unless you're LOT (sex with both daughters) or ABRAHAM (sex with his wife's servant) or JACOB (sex with multiple servants) among others.

That's the Old Testament and it's chock full of that sort of baseline hypocrisy as well as allowing for a lot of other really bad behavior in God's name. Which is part of the reason so many Christians prefer the OT. Following Jesus is WAY harder. Following Jesus takes a lot more bravery and a lot more commitment.

Jesus says, "Forgive." Jesus says, "Judge not." Jesus says "Cast not."

Most "Christians," especially so-called Fundamentalists,  try to get around the very difficult teachings of Jesus by rushing abck to some passage in the OT. The trouble is, at best, for Christians, the OT is just a history lesson. Jesus' arrival FULFILLS the old covenant with God (another word for testament) and gives humanity a NEW DEAL. The hard one. The one that doesn't let a real Christian be a judgmental creep. That's why so many so-called Christians really aren't.

Even under the supposed morals of this particular organization, this woman is giving birth IN wedlock. She is having the child with the man who helped make the child to whom she is married. The child was conceived three weeks before the wedding. So, because of that "error" this "Christian" organization thinks it's more godly to FIRE HER and take away her ability to earn money as a teacher rather than use the compassion they should have shown as an example how loving the world the way Jesus tells Christians to do requires empathy and forgiveness.

And, while breaching a morals clause in a contract can be grounds for voiding of the contract, the DEFINITION of morals in that contract has to match that of the nation's laws both local and Federal. You couldn't, for instance, fire a teacher for NOT having premarital sex or not being part of a swingers club.

Just being a private institution is no protection against discrimination suits or all those clubs that used to ban blacks would still be doing it. Technically black people can join the KKK if they want.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:33:56 am by Redjack »

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
By the way isn't sex part of a person private life? Was she parading around with a huge banner announcing she was having sex with her fiancÚ?
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
That's the Old Testament and it's chock full of that sort of baseline hypocrisy as well as allowing for a lot of other really bad behavior in God's name. Which is part of the reason so many Christians prefer the OT. Following Jesus is WAY harder. Following Jesus takes a lot more bravery and a lot more commitment.

Jesus says, "Forgive." Jesus says, "Judge not." Jesus says "Cast not."

That is my understanding as well. That's why I asked specifically for gospel quotes. I am not aware of any.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
She put in for maternity leave and the principal asked her when the baby was conceived because he was "trying to do the math."

The only mistake the woman made was not telling him "That is none of your f*cking business, you sick pervert."

One of my friends brought up the point that it may have MORE to do with the fact that she's Black and her husband is White.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Excuse Me? what is with this Jab at West baltimore? What is that about?

What I'm trying to figure out is how is it any of their business to know when she conceived the child? I'm curious if there is a contract that she signed stating something like "you cant have premartial sex"  No I'm not condoning the act but I just wonder if there is something like that within the "company policy"

With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Waitasec.

Her current husband was her fiancee at the time she got pregnant?

That school doesn't have a leg to stand on EVEN if she was made to sign some kind of morals clause (which I sincerely doubt).

This isn't a "shotgun wedding" scenario in any understanding of the term. When the child is bore he will be ligit (not that its any of the school's business). So what's the beef?

The School is firing a preganant woman (who needs the money) a woman who is GOING TO MARRY THE FATHER OF HER KID so they can jerk her out of FMLA leave and benefits.

What "message" does that send?

Other than "We hate paying for maternity leave.".

P.S. : I made a mistake. It looks like she's married already. That makes it even WORSE.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:59:50 am by Vic Vega »