Author Topic: Teacher Fired For Having Premarital Sex, Sues Southland Christian School  (Read 9309 times)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
She was fired in Florida, which, like most States in America, is an "At Will" State. In the absence of employment contracts (such as collective bargaining agreements) that indicate otherwise, employers generally may fire employees for any reasons, no reasons and even unfair reasons. Happens everyday, sorry. Y'all don't like it, call your Senator/Congressperson and change the laws.

But not discriminatory reasons.

This smacks of an employer trying to get out of having to pay an employee while on maternity leave.

The religion thing is an excuse, and a bad one too-does the school grill all thier pregnant employees about conception? What if she had refused to answer?

It seems discriminatory to me.  Would a male teacher get fired for engaging in premarital sex?  How would anyone know?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Kristopher, you're saying you view sex with one's fiancee as a serious moral transgression, deserving of being fired, right?

Nope, NEVER said that.

If a company has rules/standards you feel are "wrong" or you can't follow, don't work there. There are RULES that I signed off on for my Government job, other guidelines are outlined in the employee handbook. if I'm fired for not adhering to those rules/guidelines, that's NOT on me, right?

In 1999, an employee was discovered receiving a blow job from his co-worker in one of the stairwells. Neither one got fired, because at the time there were no specific rule prohibiting that type of action (oral sex@work) at the agency. There is now.
There are signs at every entrance stating that firearms are prohibited. Before those signs, an employee used to bring his gun to work during the midnight shift and clean it on his break, in full view. Federal and Metro Police arrested him, he claimed he didn't know he COULDN'T bring his gun to work. There was nothing that said he couldn't. He got to keep his job. If he does that today, I'm pretty sure he's outta here.

I could care less who has (consensual) sex with who. Now, if next month you read that I was fired from my job because I was discovered in a (agency) broom closet having oral sex my WIFE on my lunch break(I'm still in the building), did I "deserve" to be fired? If not, think I got a good case?

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
According to her MSNBC interview, she never signed a contract barring pre-marital sex.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
According to her MSNBC interview, she never signed a contract barring pre-marital sex.

Ennis claims Hamilton signed and agreed to the schoolís moral code. Hamilton claims she didnít fully understand the schoolís policy on premarital sex.

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/2010/06/15/orlando-area-teacher-jarretta-hamilton-fired-over-premarital-sex-video/

I guess that's what courts are for.

So.........I guess we'll see.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The question is, did the school contract specifically say no sex before marriage?  Because sex with a fiance certainly could be considered a grey area if there was just a general morals clause.  And putting her business on blast certainly seems actionable. 

Offline Gooch

• The only thing that is not common is sense
    • View Profile
What the school did almost seems like slander
the game is messed up,  singers want to be gansters, gangsters want to be rappers, and rappers want to  be actors

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The slander (gossip) issue definitely the more solid issue in court--boss can fire you; telling everyone violates privacy issues.  (Ironically, whoever shared this info probably violated a general moral claus too.)

Now,  first off--

"Judge not" is one is one of the most misused statements out there.  Sitting there condemning people is out, but the Bible clearly teaches--Judge sin.  If a brother sins, and refuses to repent, the church is supposed to discipline them, in hopes that it will bring change.  It also tells people to look at teachers/preachers and see if there lives match their words.  That is judging.  And so on.  

"Judge not" probably has more to do with moral superiority.  The passage even says, first take care of your own sin, then help your brother to stop sinning.  It is hardly "live and let live".  The goal is everyone stop sinning and no one is to be morally superior while helping another.  

So, in context, if the teacher admits to premarital sex and doesn't repent of it, Bible says the church is supposed to discipline. Now, if she is "asking for forgiveness," (of God not the school), then I can see justification for school having mercy. (Bible even says, that in such cases, the matter can end there.)

2nd, Lot, Abraham, lived before the OT Law was written.  So, there was no judgement to kill people involved with extra/pre-marital sex during their lives.  It may have still been sin, but no Law punishment was given.  (Society had laws, but the Law given to the Jews had yet to be given.)  Even if there was, the fact that they had extra-marital sex and lived doesn't invalidate the Bible.  It just says that Bible recorded the people breaking more than one Law--the original transgression and failing to follow the Law regarding punishment.  
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:27:41 am by KIP LEWIS »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
She was fired in Florida, which, like most States in America, is an "At Will" State. In the absence of employment contracts (such as collective bargaining agreements) that indicate otherwise, employers generally may fire employees for any reasons, no reasons and even unfair reasons. Happens everyday, sorry. Y'all don't like it, call your Senator/Congressperson and change the laws.

This smacks of an employer trying to get out of having to pay an employee while on maternity leave.

The religion thing is an excuse, and a bad one too-does the school grill all thier pregnant employees about conception? What if she had refused to answer?

It seems discriminatory to me.  Would a male teacher get fired for engaging in premarital sex?  How would anyone know?

The same way;  she was found out because she told, so if the School asked the same questions to a male teacher and he said that they had premarital sex, then if they did the same thing....

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile

The same way;  she was found out because she told, so if the School asked the same questions to a male teacher and he said that they had premarital sex, then if they did the same thing....
And they regularly go around asking everyone unmarried if they've been doing the wild thing.
I think the point is, he isn't going to turn up pregnant.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."