Author Topic: Blacks, Mirroring Larger U.S. Trend, 'Come Out' As Nonbelievers  (Read 9514 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Blacks, Mirroring Larger U.S. Trend, 'Come Out' As Nonbelievers
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 02:36:49 pm »
I was at a church fish fry just last Saturday...
Oh, and I KNOW the proponent of the scientific standard isn't going to use a sole fish fry to characterize the Black church.

Naw, it's just jokes. The idea of me being at a church fish fry (true, by the way) is kind of funny.
Not that there's anything wrong with church fish frys...

No question that diet is a large cultural factor reflected in the black church. It would be nice to see some trying to flip the script. In fact, I bet some are trying. Figuring out how to be effective in changing behavior is the challenge. Say, isn't that kind of a mission statement for churches?

There is no denying that the black community, as a whole, has a terrible diet.  And the worst offenders, the most obese?  The same women who attend church on the regular. So we can safely say that the black church has utterly FAILED in this arena.

So, to sum up: 

Civil Rights - 1

Giving us the strength to make it through slavery - 1

health matters - 0

materalism - 0

Online jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 03:29:04 pm »
Oh, and I KNOW the proponent of the scientific standard isn't going to use a sole fish fry to characterize the Black church.

Naw, it's just jokes. The idea of me being at a church fish fry (true, by the way) is kind of funny.

No question that diet is a large cultural factor reflected in the black church. It would be nice to see some trying to flip the script. In fact, I bet some are trying. Figuring out how to be effective in changing behavior is the challenge. Say, isn't that kind of a mission statement for churches?

There is no denying that the black community, as a whole, has a terrible diet.  And the worst offenders, the most obese?  The same women who attend church on the regular. So we can safely say that the black church has utterly FAILED in this arena.

So, to sum up: 

Civil Rights - 1

Giving us the strength to make it through slavery - 1

health matters - 0

materalism - 0

Math is not my strong suit but I think there is a variable you are not taking into account.

Again, what are you calling a church?

If it's these sepelchurs known as mega-churches with their prosperity gospel heresy, then they shouldn't qualify.

Weight and food are often touchy subjects for us but our pastor hits it every time that he can. " You pray for health but what are you eating", "We've changed the seats and had to get a BIGGER size!, think on that people". Again, it's touchy but it's biblically sound and imperative to respect your body as a church because it houses the spirit of the Lord.

Now when prosperity pimps like: Creflo, Jakes, Long, etc. start stopping the women during service and comment on their weight, THEN that will be true revelation!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 03:31:28 pm »

I see, the heathen slipped in among the righteous for the fried fish! 8)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 12:59:54 pm »
We can debate over when we think the church lost its way (I'm no historian, but I think it was when they started being called the Holy Roman Empire) but in any case, what should the church be now?

that's why I started that modern saints thread.  i've really been thinking about what a modern church should be.  i think a modern church should incorporate yoga into the service.  and yes, that means all the usual church clothes go away, which helps solve a host of other problems with vanity and materialism.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 03:22:25 pm »
I think that is a start. Another thing is to stop with the need to build a massive mega church in the middle of the one the sh*ttiest neighborhoods in an urban city with the false delusion that it'll change things. It becomes an eyesore once the pastor leaves again for a larger complex. A number of them are like walmart with these massive buildings.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Gooch

• The only thing that is not common is sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 12:16:25 pm »
I've been an agnostic since I was 12, always felt oganized religion was just a way to pilfer money out my pockets. 
the game is messed up,  singers want to be gansters, gangsters want to be rappers, and rappers want to  be actors

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 06:47:20 pm »
I've been an agnostic since I was 12, always felt oganized religion was just a way to pilfer money out my pockets. 

Jesus didn't come so man can have religion but a relationship with God.