Author Topic: HARD CHOICES: JET LI OR JACKIE CHAN?!?  (Read 6140 times)

Online Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
HARD CHOICES: JET LI OR JACKIE CHAN?!?
« on: October 16, 2006, 04:58:48 pm »
Comments?

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
Re: HARD CHOICES: JET LI OR JACKIE CHAN?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 05:03:58 pm »
Totally different talents. Jet Li can't do comedy very well, and IMO doesn't do as well in romantic roles, though most women find him more attractive than Jackie Chan. On the other hand, Jet Li has a higher degree of technical excellence in many of his fight scenes, and his style tends to *look* more painful than Jackie Chan's.

At the end of the day though, I think Jackie Chan has been more influential, both in Hong Kong and America, than Jet Li has.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 05:40:12 pm »
Bruce Lee.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:45:24 pm »
I agree with Sam, Bruce Lee is the only Master, then jet li then jackie chan

GrimSkill

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 06:49:29 pm »
Bruce = Greatest of all time

Jet = Greatest right now

Jackie = One with Most Talents and setting up more complex fight scenes

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 07:03:33 pm »
Bruce Lee is from a different era than Jet Li...referring to the two as peers just isn't accurate; wasn't Jet Li inspired as a kid by Bruce Lee movies? Jackie Chan could legitimately be considered a peer of Bruce Lee, as they were active around the same time (in fact, Jackie Chan was an extra in Enter the Dragon). Was he as influential as Bruce Lee? Not to popular culture, no. And not to American culture as a whole. But Jackie Chan's style of fighting, using props, wild stunts (and of course doing his own stunts), and slapstick comedy mixed with martial arts is more common in American cinema than Bruce Lee's more direct, faster-than-the-camera-can-record, serious style.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 07:40:35 pm »
I agree with Sam, Bruce Lee is the only Master, then jet li then jackie chan

kara, you got that velvet hanging of bruce?  Man, my wife keeps trying to throw it away on me...  ;D

Every brother needs a velvet hanging of bruce in the "chill" space.

Online Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 09:24:56 pm »
Comments?

What about on the big screen?  Personally I've seen most of Jet's movies since Kids of Shaolin from 1980s to Fearless.  I watch all his movies imported and straight subtitled, some not subbed.  I think his presents rivals Bruces but not surpassing it.  not to mention The Mask which was in my opinion his worst film, with Tai-Chi Master and New Legend of Shaolin being my faves.  And yes...Bruce started it all and is definately the Master.  ;)  Don't forget about Sho-Nuff! :D

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 10:54:19 pm »
Chan's martial arts, improvisional and comedic style has personality. I like them all but his has a character to it.

Chan, Jackie Chan.
...Rassclaat.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 04:01:53 am »
Yea Sam I got it! with a recessed light shining on it  ;D. The Jackie Chan movies which eventually came to America were the best especially the ones in which Samo Hung and Yuen Baio costarred with him. After the Rush Hour movies with Chris Tucker I thought JC fell off he became a Buster Keaton impersonator. Jet Li's classic remake of the legend paid just respect to Bruce and Once upon a time in China was the BOMB!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 01:43:04 pm »
The Hardest Choice I've seen yet!

Jackie Chan by a (pug) nose.  His martial arts/slapstick schick puts him more in the same camp as comedy innovator Buster Keyton (sp?). He's quite deliberately the anti-Bruce Lee. Bruce was catlike, Jackie's clumsy. Bruce was fearless, Jackie best work was done running for his life. He could also do serious, if you ever saw Crime Story.  His work with Sammo and Yuen Baio has yet to be topped.  He also avoided the wire work that Jet Li has ALWAYS had in his stunt arsenal.  If you saw Jackie do it in the 80's-early 90's, it could be done by a human...somehow;) and  I haven't even mentioned his Directoral skills yet. He's a cultural icon in the east as well as in America.

Jet Li however gets props for his stage presence more that anything else. I'm not going to get into who's technically better inthe martial arts (How the hell would I know?) but, Jet's performance in Unleashed is something Jackie could never put off.  Hell, his shy/innocent act almost made the "love story" in Romeo Must Die credible (notice I saud almost). This is probably why he says Fearless will be his last martial arts movie.  He has a range that none of martial arts peers have (guys like Chow Yung  Fat and Simon Yam aren't martial artists) and is trying to explore that avenue.

Whether his audience will let him is another story....   

Online Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 12:39:39 am »
Looking forward to the next Rush Hour.  Too bad Jet isnt doing any more action flicks.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 03:51:12 am »
I'm not pumped up about it, the last Rush Hour was a little weak chris tuckers' shtick was running a little thin by the end of the movie

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 09:41:48 am »
Looking forward to the next Rush Hour. 

What's the word on this?  Anybody know?

I like Jet -- Fist of Legend is a mutha.

I liked Bruce and especially thought Brandon had a bright future -- The Crow was spectacular.  R.I.P.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 10:38:26 am »
Jackie Chan, all day, every day and here's why:

No wires.  No undercranking.  All skills.