Author Topic: Gen. Stanley McChrystal slams Obama Admistration in Rolling Stone Interview  (Read 5525 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
WASHINGTON -- Gen. Stanley McChrystal tripped over his own ego and risked turning his superstar career into toast with an eye-popping interview trashing President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and others in the administration.

McChrystal immediately was ordered back to Washington by Defense Secretary Robert Gates to face an angry Obama at a White House meeting Wednesday on Afghanistan to explain his remarks.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs declined to say whether McChrystal would be relieved or fired from his command of the Afghan war, but curtly described Obama's first reaction to the general's statements: "He (Obama) was angry."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/06/22/2010-06-22_gen_stanley_mcchrystal_ordered_back_to_dc_white_house_on_possible_firing_all_opt.html#ixzz0rbd1ey3s

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
do like Trump-- "you're fired!"
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
I haven't read the article but I am somewhat torn on this.  A General should never publicly criticize the commander in chief.  On the other hand, he is supposed to be the expert and if he sees something wrong and nobody is listening, it is worth him speaking out. 

CNN is saying according to an unnamed source Gen. McChrystal has submitted his resignation.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I think he wants to be fired.

His current job is a poinsoned chalice.

Before you can prop up a Central Government (like say, Afganistan) you sort of have to HAVE a Central Government  first.

If he gets the boot it becomes some other guy's problem.

P.S.: Note that McChrystal was given everthing he wanted by the Adminstration. The tenor of the article sound like he's annoyed that he has to answer to civilians at all.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:19:03 pm by Vic Vega »

Offline DRobinson

• Hudlin's Huddle
    • View Profile

P.S.: Note that McChrystal was given everthing he wanted by the Adminstration. The tenor of the article sound like he's annoyed that he has to answer to civilians at all.

I think McChrystal is saying that the Obama administration did not give him what he believe he needs to win the war. As I understand it, he was frustrated that Obama took 3 months to make a decision to send additional troops. He has also expressed his belief that scheduling troop withdrawals is inconsistent with trying to win a war.

It seems doubtable that a career military man would want to be fired and leave his troops hanging in the middle of a war. I just think he is frustrated with his Commander in Chief and decided to become somewhat of a whistle blower. And that is never acceptable for a General.

His frustration seems understandable. He is essentially fighting an un-winnable war, with inadequate assets, and has tepid support of his President & congress. I would hate to be in his shoes.

By the way, the fact that this story was posted in the "Politics" section of HEF speaks to how political this war is viewed. Would a story about WWII, printed during the war, be viewed as political or current events/news?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:44:23 pm by DRobinson »

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
It's inexcusable to me, he should be treated like any other soldier who is insubordinate. I get nervous when military types get it twisted we have civilian government.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:33:36 pm by Princesa »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I think McChrystal is saying that the Obama administration did not give him what he believe he needs to win the war. As I understand it, he was frustrated that Obama took 3 months to make a decision to send additional troops. He has also expressed his belief that scheduling troop withdrawals is inconsistent with trying to win a war.

It seems doubtable that a career military man would want to be fired and leave his troops hanging in the middle of a war. I just think he is frustrated with his Commander in Chief and decided to become somewhat of a whistle blower. And that is never acceptable for a General.

His frustration seems understandable. He is essentially fighting an un-winnable war, with inadequate assets, and has tepid support of his President & congress. I would hate to be in his shoes.

By the way, the fact that this story was posted in the "Politics" section of HEF speaks to how political this war is viewed. Would a story about WWII, printed during the war, be viewed as political or current events/news?

Well the story isn't about a military action or anything like that. Its about the fallout from McChrystal giving an interview to Rolling Stone, of all things.

That's why this has the feel of premeditation to it to me. McChrystal has a willing audience in the Washington Post. Why use Rolling Stone other than to kick up a ruckus?

That or he's angling for a run for President in 2012. Or both.

McChrystal's counter-insurgency strategy might not work even if he had a decade and 10 times the number of troops he has now.

Even his own play book states that civilian causualties are bad because for every 1 civilian you kill by accident you create 10 vengeance filled terrorists.

Even with our armies knowing this our civilian casuaties rate is pretty horrific (I had cited it elsewhere a while ago). And that's only one of McChrystal's problems.

P.S.: It just occured to me that if McChrystal DOES get canned for whatever reason his sucessor is going to want/need more time to assess the situation on the ground. There will be no pullout while Gen. Second Choice is gathering his data. That alone could buy the troops an extra year in Afganistan.

So maybe McChrystal figures he's bulletproof: the Adminstration can't have its scheduled pullout without him, so he can say what he wants.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:14:19 pm by Vic Vega »

Offline DRobinson

• Hudlin's Huddle
    • View Profile
This story should be played out, one way or the other, before the day is over. Obama looks to be in a very difficult situation. McChrystal deserves to be fired, but Obama has a bigger fish to fry - winning a war.

I hope Obama chews McChrystal a new one, then takes the high road and magnanimously sends him back into the field to win the war. If Obama can show enough restraint to do this, I think his standing with the American people and the world goes up significantly.

Our President has a dozen different problems that all look to be spiraling out of control. I hope the war in Afghanistan doesn’t get heaped on the pile.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Why in the world does anyone believe that this one measely officer can guarantee the success of this war?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
This is an unwinnable war. The fact that we are still there is a travesty. I know they have waaaay more information than the general public, but I can't imagine that changes the basic facts as we see them.  So in that regard, better to fire this insubordinate and maintain discipline within the ranks....and I don't just mean military ranks.

Offline DRobinson

• Hudlin's Huddle
    • View Profile
Why in the world does anyone believe that this one measely officer can guarantee the success of this war?

McChrystal doesn't guarantee success (a fuzzy term) of the war. But continuity and having a General who is highly regarded by his troops is important. That said, troops respecting their Commander in Chief is equally important.

Whether deserved or not, it seems there is a lack of respect for Obama by the military. I think the best decision Obama can make will be the one that causes troops to respect him the most. That may well be firing McChrystal to show intolerance for insubordination.

As far as the war being unwinnable, that seems to be the case, as winning is currently defined. But President Obama put a stake in the ground when he declared that Afghanistan was where he was going to fight Al Qaeda. Politically, Obama can’t just walk away. Perhaps reshaping the definition of “winning” is the best we can do at this point.

As the Rolling Stone article points out, Genghis Khan was the last foreign power to succeed in Afghanistan – there is a lesson in that fact.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:06:18 am by DRobinson »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
At bare minimum, demote him.  I suspect he will resign to save face and because he is told to resign.

This is military; Generals don't bad mouth the President in the media.  Patton was fired for challenging Eisenhower; and he aint no Patton.  (Though, it is said that its his aids who said the worse things.  One commentator thought the president could replace his staff with President friendly people.)

(As I type this, Hillary just wanted into the WH.  We should know soon.)

If the President just "scolds" him and sends him back, it makes him look weak. 

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
<<(As I type this, Hillary just wanted into the WH.  We should know soon.)>>

That should have said, Hilary went into the WH. I know that she wanted in the WH, but that's another thread.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Inside the Oval Office:

President Obama:  "What is it, Mr. Gibbs?"

White House Press Secretary: "M'lord, the existing troop surge in Afghanistan is proceeding as planned. The withdrawal date has been extended, however, there is still the matter of General McChrystal's remarks in that Rolling Stone article...  Rumour has it that the general has been summoned to appear before you with resignation in hand."

President Obama: "The Taliban and Al-Quada are alerted to our presence.  General McChrystal fraternizing with the press has come too close to our system."

White House Press Secretary:  "H-He felt that a surprise interview was wiser---"

President Obama:  "He is as clumsy as he is stupid!  Mr. Gibbs, prepare a speech for a press conference in the Rose Garden."

White House Press Secretary:  "Yes M'lord!"

(The President swivels in his chair as a LCD viewscreen behind the Resolute Desk switches on General McChrystal's new iPhone 4.)

General McChrystal: Mr. President, can it wait? I'm having lunch in the Officer's Quarters with my pal, Mr. Petraeus.  He ---  *ACK*

(General McChrystal is suddenly choking on a fish bone!)

President Obama: "You have failed me for the last time, general.  ...General Petraeus?"

General Petraeus:  "Yes, M'lord!"

President Obama: Make ready to extend our watches beyond the Afghan DMZ and deploy our troops so that no more paparazzi gets into our camps. YOU are in command now, General Petraeus."

(General McChrystal still gagging and eventually passing out on his lunch table.)

ERRATUM: Robert Gibbs is actually the White House Press Secretary, not the House Speaker.  D'oh!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:46:29 am by Battle »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
So, Obama is a Sith Lord?  Does that make Palin a Jedi?