Author Topic: Veggie Burgers: Why They're Not Good for You  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Veggie Burgers: Why They're Not Good for You
« on: July 08, 2010, 02:29:16 pm »
from AOL NEWS:

Veggie Burgers: Why They're Not Good for You

by Doug DiPasquale Jul 7th 2010 3:10AM

After my piece about healthy barbecuing last week, I received quite a few emails asking basically the same question: What's wrong with veggie burgers?

Essentially, the problem I have with veggie burgers, veggie dogs or any other "fake meat" vegetarian products is that they are highly processed foods. And the more a food is processed by being altered, cooked and reformed, the more nutrients are lost or altered. Quite frankly, vegetarian soy foods are about as processed as you can get.

But this isn't an attack on vegetarians -- it's an attack on the soy food industry. The important thing to note is that vegetarians don't need to eat the processed foods that are marketed to them, just as non-vegetarians don't need to rely on hot dogs and Big Macs for their meat intake. The soy industry has worked very hard to get themselves identified with the vegetarian movement, but this is just an association; Vegetarian cultures around the world have survived for centuries without any soy or soy products, and you can too.

The bottom line? A diet that relies on processed foods as a staple is an unhealthy diet, whether it includes meat or not.

There seems to be a prevailing myth out there that vegetarians need soy in order to meet their protein requirements. This simply is not true. Eating a diet rich in beans, legumes, grains, nuts and seeds, as well as fresh fruits and vegetables, will get you the protein you need.

As I mentioned before, vegetarians should change the way they look at barbecues and eating in general for that matter. For non-veggies, meat is often the main focus of the meal so naturally, when one converts to vegetarianism, a direct replacement for the meat portion of the meal is sought. Soy-based imitation meat products are the natural choice.

Next time you're at a barbecue, rather than directly replacing meat with a soy substitute, grill your veggies and have your protein component separately. Vegetarian proteins like grains, legumes, nuts and seeds aren't really things you can barbecue, but veggies like tomatoes, onions, zucchini, eggplant, sweet potatoes, asparagus, peppers and mushrooms are made for the grill.

And while your veggies are grilling, try whipping up a protein-rich side dish to enjoy them with. Some suggestions include a sesame quinoa salad or black beans and peas. While you're at it, a healthy homemade vinaigrette goes very well with grilled veggies, quinoa and lentils.

Point is, there really are unlimited options for the vegetarian, and resorting to processed foods really just shows a lack of imagination. Real food is easy to cook and absolutely dominates its processed counterparts when it comes to healthiness and taste.

The Healthy Foodie is Doug DiPasquale, Holistic Nutritionist and trained chef, living in Toronto. Doug specializes in private in-home holistic cooking lessons. You can email him with inquiries or questions for the blog at dougthehealthyfoodie@gmail.com.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: Veggie Burgers: Why They're Not Good for You
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:47:37 am »
"Eat food (not food-like substances).
Not too much.
Mostly plants."

-- Michael Pollin
In Defense of Food
Food Rules

Here's an interview.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:25:22 am »
interesting.. my multiple food allergies include tree nuts-- and many of those store-bought 'veggie-burgers' include ground nuts, so I have to avoid them all.. I also have a moderate allergy to soy; soy milk and cheese products give me a fit, so I avoid that, too..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:33:12 pm »
I don't think soy is good for men either IIRC.

Offline jasmine12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 05:04:04 am »
These are not good for us because it has so much calories and these are so oily food to eat that is not at all good for our health

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:18 pm »
I've heard that soy increases the amount of predominantly female hormones in a male's body. Me, I just can't stand the taste of soy. Reminds me too much of the lunch food when I was in school!