Author Topic: Age of Heroes  (Read 37796 times)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Heroes
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2010, 12:51:59 pm »

I did strange things during my childhood as well. Unlike some of us, I was immediately excited when I first became aware of the Black Panther. The fact that he was being drawn by arguably the best comic book illustrator to pick up pencil, Big John Buscema, didn't hurt one bit. I also created my version of the Black Panther and .... hold on to your hats ... I created him as a blonde-haired, blue-eyed teenaged white male.

I wish I could travel back through time and slap the shiznit out of my stupid, childhood self for doing something as damned stupid as that.

I can relate to this conundrum myself.

As a child (and well into my teenaged years) I found it almost impossibe to write tales featuring black superheroes or heroic characters in general and I really put this down to the pernicious brain washing that many of us grew up with in a world where there were few if any black heroic characters to identify with in the world of comicbooks and other forms of escapist fantasy.

Even now as a grown adult and amateur writer, I sometimes find it difficult to create characters I personally feel comfortable with and that says a lot especially when one bears in mind the fact that most of us are relatively concious of who we are in terms of cultural awareness and knowledge of self.  :-[

Exactly. The brain washing is indeed pernicious, persistent and intented to pervade every aspect of black self-awareness and self-appreciation when it comes to the perception of our place in this world particularly where white culture is concerned. Black people buy into the belief that the European standards of beauty and self worth is the ideal. Even the simple notion that white = good and pure while black = evil and base has been drummed into our heads so completely that we accept its truth as a matter of course. The Marvel character Cloak is my favorite. I like(d) the concept of Cloak and Dagger initially. The concept went wrong when they started depicting Cloak as a "demon of darkness" and Dagger as an "angel of light". For anyone familiar with the two characters Tyrone Johnson and Tandy Bowen, it is Tyrone Johnson who seemed to embody the more admirable personal traits while Tandy Bowen was selfish among other things.

Louis Jordan, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino are the pillars of rock and roll music which has its origins in Blues music created through the genius of black musical innovation. White Elvis Presley - the imitator of the innovators - is regarded by white Americans as "The King of Rock and Roll", with Jerry Lee Lewis being higly regarded. Jazz created by blacks, some whites crown a white Jazzman actually named Phil Whiteman as "The King of Jazz". Chick Webb excelled at the genre of music to become known as "Swing". White Americans annoint Benny Goodman as "The King of Swing". This example represents the tip of the iceberg of the centuries-long process of brain washing...in truth, brain polluting of black people by the dominant white cultural structure. This is why Black Power is so upsetting to most whites and possibly why the Black Panther of all Marvel Comics characters is so totally reviled by the LCB-RD.

Alexander Dumas, biracial or "Black/European" novelist wrote what he knew. His Three Musketeers and Count Of Monte Cristo are universal masterpieces of literature. The heroes of those masterpieces are not black. They are not biracial. They are white men.

I can see why the powers that be over at that other place feel so threatened by you.  ;)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2010, 08:23:14 am »
sinjection is That Dude!
 ;D

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2010, 01:58:00 am »
sinjection is That Dude!
 ;D

Thank you, Dear Brother.  :)

However, if that honored accolade was ever true of me, I can gladly say that it now belongs to another. That torch has been passed to our brother Salustrade. Whatever I might have been at "that other place", Salustrade is that and more. Whatever positives I might have achieved while posting at "that other place", Salustrade has surpassed those many times over. If ever you or any other HEF member should take a peek from time to time at the happenings there, I'd think you'd have to like what you see.

The days when discussions dealing with the Black Panther, other black characters, and racial issues were able to be sabotaged by those LCB-RD CBR members who were hypersensitive, possibly racist themselves, and did not appreciate such discussions taking place, seem to be gone. Such discussions do not devolve into displays of LCB-RD CBR members "behaving badly" - their snide remarks, veiled and at times open insults, and bad comedy causing the discussion to implode or explode leading to the CBR moderator to close the thread; something they'd always been all-too-willing to do in the past.

Today, fine posters like Umbra (our own Seven), 4Sake, the Cat, Euphoria, and others ...I hate calling names because I'm certain to leave other well deserving posters out, but these I've mentioned absolutely deserve the recognition... are able to sustain discussions exploring Black Panther, Storm, Shuri, other black characters and characters of color, and racially-charged topics by their ability to rise above the petty, to keep their focus and consistently deliver intelligent, factual comments which usually provoke thoughtful responses from the more moderate CBR LCB-RD and/or comments which expose the attitudes/opinons held by the more racially sensitive CBR LCB-RD who might feel threatened, but at the same time, who feel free to post their statements without open hostility. In my always humble opinion, those posters who I've mentioned and those others have spearheaded those positive developments. The sharp - and I do mean sharp in terms of his intellect and ability to deliver a pointed comment whenever necessary ... the sharp point of that spear is Mr. MajestiK, our Dear Brother, Salustrade. It hasn't always been easy for him to do so, but he has repeatedly managed to successfully navigate through conflict while encouraging discussions on topics relevant to most HEF members who are comicbook readers, which while at times contentious, are also healthy and positive. sinjection might have seen the problem, but was ineffective when it came to getting at it in ways that did not cause the "patient" to convulse in spasms. Salustrade on the other hand, is like a skilled surgeon, able to keep the patient relatively calm while excising the "bad bits" and exposing them to a light which invites ally and foe to offer opinions regarding a treatment or cure for the problem.

Now, Mastrmynd... the question of a Wakandan-based superteam is currently being polled and discussed at "that other place". HEF member extraordinaire, Vic Vega, put forth a proposed team roster, one that was multi-national/multi-racial in composition. The question of an all-black Wakandan team eventually arose. As I, and any member of the HEF already knows, you and our brother Yaw discussed the formation of The Black Avengers and black superteams having another name entirely, years ago. You always seemed reluctant to allow me to place Sunspot on the team as I recall  ;) The prospect of an all-black superteam revived those old CBR LCB-RD concerns that such a team's racial makeup would be "forced" and that the team might not be well-received by the LCB-RD because the feeling would be that they would be getting "preached at". IMO, that has always been their problem with the Black Panther. The character's very name represents an attitude and aspirations of many in the Black community they find hostile, threatening, annoying, etc....

I haven't had the opportunity to read each post in full, but the discussion appears to be interesting and as always, our brother Salustrade - "That Dude!" - has his finger on the pulse of that topic, keeping it cool and constructive.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:12 pm »
see?  that is why you are still THAT DUDE!
u took a simple statement i made and intelligently showcased many other brothers/sisters who rep to the fullest at the other place.
bravo.
a scholar AND a gentleman.

and i dont hate Sunspot...it's just that...i have no idea.  i will be honest with you, bruh.
hahahha

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2010, 07:36:50 am »
You see Brothers and Dear Friends, THIS is what I'm talking about. This is why Brother Salustrade is more than deserving, overqualified if truth be told, to take up sinjection's torch at "that other place". No mincing of words here. Just straight telling it like it T I is!

Quoted from CBR: Maberry Sharpens the "Klaws of the Panther" The bolded is Brother Salustrade's reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandJP 
If the shake-up does not attract new readers it proves that the BP character and Wakanda Vibranium mythos werent the problem.

We already know what the real problem is but some just choose to ignore it or pretend it doesn't exist.

Where comicbook reading/collecting is concerned, I have had a definite preference for Marvel Comics over DC. I have always been a fan of comicbook art more than comicbook writing. There was a brief period when the quality of DC's art actually surpassed Marvel's. During that time, my purchases were weighted toward DC. I'm not a big Superman, Batman, Hawkman, Catman, Wonder Woman, Power Girl, Green Lantern (save for John Stewart), Green Arrow, definitely not Red Arrow (Arsenal), not a Black Canary, etc...fan. I readily confess that John Stewart appealed to me because to my knowledge, before the advent of Adam, the Blue Marvel, John Stewart was the most powerful black male superhero in the entire comicbook industry. I liked that.

The fact that Superman, Batman, the Flash, Huntress and the rest...were white characters did not factor into the reason(s) why I wasn't a fan. It was all about Marvel Comics having the best art and the better stories in my opinion. I've no doubt there are LCB-RD members who are not particularly interested in John Stewart, Vixen, black Firestorm, Black Lightning, Luke Cage, Bishop, Cloak, and the Black Panther for reasons not much unlike my own. Still, I was a fan of the X-Men, the Fantastic 4, Thor, Sub-Mariner, the Avengers, Captain America - basically any character or group of characters illustrated by the Buscema brothers. I was a fan of Captain Marvel, Firelord, Alpha Flight. Race was not a factor when it came to enjoying the stories of characters illustrated by Marvel talent, particularly John Byrne, Jim Starlin, and especially the Buscemas. I'm quite sure I couldn't say the same for a large segment of the LCB-RD who might see a black character and be turned off by that character's race. Where T'Challa, the Black Panther is concerned, the turn off is his race AND his title; the Black Panther.

This is what Salustrade is speaking to when he posted so succinctly and with his customary eloquence: We already know what the real problem is but some just choose to ignore it or pretend it doesn't exist.

And we do. There are participants in forums like the HEF, like "that other place", and others on both sides of the "demographic divide" who know what problems hinder the acceptance of the Black Panther, of the Blue Marvel, of Milestone Comics...but "choose to ignore it or pretend it doesn't exist" or knowing that the problem exists and taking for granted that everyone else knows it exists, some simply take the problem as a "given"; they don't address it in their comments preferring to focus on such factors as creative teams, characters, locations where the characters operate, etc.... It's refreshing to see Salustrade doing what I often do, which is cutting to the quick of the matter.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »
Brother Sinjection1,

I'm incredibly flattered by your recognition of my efforts over at that other place but I'd like to see myself as belonging to a joint body of Black Panther enthusiasts trying to collectively combat the many untruths being bandied about and put forth by detractors.

I'm just one of many and do not see myself as being a lone wolf combatant in the trenches.

We're all doing what we can to fight the good fight.

But I really do appreciate your recognition.  ;D

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2010, 05:52:00 pm »
Brother Sinjection1,

I'm incredibly flattered by your recognition of my efforts over at that other place but I'd like to see myself as belonging to a joint body of Black Panther enthusiasts trying to collectively combat the many untruths being bandied about and put forth by detractors.
I'm just one of many and do not see myself as being a lone wolf combatant in the trenches.

And you're all doing a splendid job. The interests of Black Panther/Storm fans have never been better served than they are now by the excellent cadre of like-minded enthusiasts contributing to "that other place". I must say, I am having a better time watching those better equipped for it in action than when I was part of that action myself  :D  Please keep up the great work.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2010, 12:32:54 am »
Brother Sinjection1,

And you're all doing a splendid job. The interests of Black Panther/Storm fans have never been better served than they are now by the excellent cadre of like-minded enthusiasts contributing to "that other place". I must say, I am having a better time watching those better equipped for it in action than when I was part of that action myself  :D  Please keep up the great work.

Bro, by now you must be aware of the dirction they're aiming T'Challa in now.

We might as well start preparing for the inevitable divorce of the century.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2010, 07:17:59 am »
Bro, by now you must be aware of the dirction they're aiming T'Challa in now.

We might as well start preparing for the inevitable divorce of the century.

Indeed, Salustrade. There was an anti-MARRIAGE OF THE CENTURY faction comprised of fans and very likely, x-writers/edtors waiting to see the marriage end before that joke known as Bast the Panther God had finished sniffing and licking Ororo to declare her worthy of being Queen of Wakanda.

Look at this mess. Bast declares Ororo worthy of being Queen of Wakanda but later, it would deem Dr. Doom worthy to become Emperor of the entire world. In the words of David Allen Grier..."Bast! Have you lost your damn mind?!"

I've been preparing for the unhappy dissolution of T'Challa's and Ororo's union from day one. There is too much working against it. There are those who feel Ororo's marriage to T'Challa actually establishes her as a bonafide black woman and not the patchwork quilt woman they preferred her to be. Others were determined not to accept Ororo depicted in anyway other than being shackled to those perverted mutants, "scissoring" with Yukio when she wasn't sucking weaselman's tongue down her throat.

As for T'Challa and any other unmistakably...unforgivably BLACK characters existing in the MU, they'd simply prefer they not exist. As we know, the x-franchise has either depowered or destroyed every black male mutant created, save for Nezhno. Since he may be a distant relative of Peter Rasputin, the x-editors/writers might have decided to allow Nezhno to hang with the mutants for awhile until they decide to lynch him as well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:21:01 am by sinjection1 »

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2010, 08:10:03 am »
No disrespect but you guys sound like those old ex revolutionaries raging against the insidious plots of "the man" :)

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2010, 08:20:38 am »
No disrespect but you guys sound like those old ex revolutionaries raging against the insidious plots of "the man" :)

No disrespect, but perhaps you should visit the X-Forum at "that other place" and read some of the comments they post there about the Black Panther and black characters in general. If you didn't know any better, you'd probably think you'd stumbled into a joint meeting of the ku klux klan and Act Up gay activist organization, both having an axe to grind with Marvel's black characters and with black folk in general.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2010, 08:38:44 am »

No disrespect, but perhaps you should visit the X-Forum at "that other place" and read some of the comments they post there about the Black Panther and black characters in general. If you didn't know any better, you'd probably think you'd stumbled into a joint meeting of the ku klux klan and Act Up gay activist organization, both having an axe to grind with Marvel's black characters and with black folk in general.

Please, you guys can fight race wars with nitwits if you want but I can't worry about idiots. 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 of comic fans will never be in those forums. Comic forums are peopled by the same dunces on news forums who hurl racist barbs in the safety of being hidden behind a screen.All you do is make them feel powerful, me say what I say and I'm out. I can't be concerned with crazy white people.