Author Topic: JJ Abrams' Undercovers  (Read 11410 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: JJ Abrams' Undercovers
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 03:15:50 pm »
To some extent I think the problem Disney laments about 'stable' nuclear homes is the result of a lack of imagination. I mean, there are a lot of nuclear families that have a lot of drama behind the image of stability. I think it just takes a willingness to go there without believing that a 'broken' home is a shortcut to drama. I'm not married, but marriage can be a drama-rich environment, as can be growing up with two parents in the household. Check out soap operas for example. Many have the big rich family or families at their core and they find a way to produce stories for them, many for decades.

I'm not sure if I feel that Undercovers focuses on the marriage at the expense of the spy stuff. Most of the episodes spend a great deal on them getting the assignment and them carrying it out. The 'marriage' stuff is usually the bookends. Of course, there is talk about how being married might affect their ability to do the job (which makes sense and should be a part of the show). I think the action feels less important because it is written that way. The villains have little weight and there seems to be little on the line even though the writing tells us its supposed to be. I don't think Undercovers has done a good job of putting the Blooms in danger, of making me feel a sense of peril. They haven't really found that good mix yet of serious and fun yet.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 03:38:50 pm »
side note- how do you pronounce the female lead's full name?

-----I think it would be a mistake for the show to go too thematically dark/violent, though more 'danger' is certainly welcome..

BTW- who else noticed the nod to Mr. Kodjoe's fluent German?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 06:01:10 pm »
OK, who was the the buyer of the drive?  I recognize him, but can't place him.

(Oh, looks like there is an overarching storyline; maybe not a "big bad" per se, but something about why they quit and why they were reactivated.)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 04:59:37 pm »
I believe the buyer played Baal on Stargate. A great choice for a bad guy. I hope he returns. Yeah, as I was watching last night I realized that the show already has an arc of sorts. I mean, the mysterious real reason the Blooms have been reactivated was mentioned in the pilot I believe and bought back up again last night. So, there is something of an arc. I would like them to ramp this up and maybe show us the shadowy guy McRaney is talking to. (I sort of wish he was like Max from the comic book version of the Losers, not to hate on Jason Patric in the movie. Though Patric's Max probably would fit in well with the show's tone. I also wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Lynch from the A-Team movie.)

As for last night's episode. I thought it was good. Nash isn't as annoying as he was initially, or maybe I've just gotten used to him. I though the villains keep improving, Sean being the best so far. I also like how they are adding some complexity to the Blooms' marriage and this pact they've made to not bring up the past. There's a lot of potential to exploit there for drama.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 05:20:35 pm »
Cliff Simon/Baal--that's who; thanks.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 06:42:39 pm »
Last week's episode: Perhaps my favorite of the series so far. I liked the French agent couple, they were like a dark mirror of the Blooms. I also thought the N. Korean scenes added a good element of tension to the show that it sometimes lacks.

This week's episode: It was okay. Once again, Samantha is paired with a cheeky agent of Caucasusian persuasion, however he wasn't super annoying, mainly because he didn't get an excessive amount of screentime. I did like how the issue of the Blooms's secret pasts keep coming back. Though it doesn't make sense that they would've made a deal like that to keep everything past and not broken it for five years. So, more discussion along those lines was good. I liked the Tess character and wished more could've been done with her and Hoyt (not getting into spoilers). Overall, a decent episode, but not as good as last week.

Offline masigl4179

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 08:06:46 pm »
Watching tonite's episode now, but I really dug last weeks episode when they went to Korea and Geneva. Actually, I really love all the travel in this show.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 11:32:28 am »
side note- how do you pronounce the female lead's full name?

I think it's pronounced "goo-goo em-bah-tha raw".

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 05:59:36 pm »
So, my perdiction--bet we will find out that hubby killed wife's mentor 5 yrs ago.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 01:37:13 pm »
Canceled.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 01:41:26 pm »
from DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD DAILY:

NBC Cancels New Drama 'Undercovers'
By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday November 4, 2010 @ 12:45pm PDT

It's the end of the road for J.J. Abrams' spy drama Undercovers as NBC today decided not to pick up additional episodes from the freshman series beyond the original 13-episode order. The Warner Bros TV-produced show is now filming Episode 12. The news comes on the heels of Undercovers hitting another series low last night when it slipped to a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demo. The slickly produced light drama, whose pilot was directed by Abrams, broke primetime ground by featuring two black actors as the leads. But it got off to a disappointing start in the Wednesday 8 PM slot and never found traction with viewers. The series will stay on for the next 2 weeks and will air its last original (for now) on December 1. It was already set for preemption on Nov. 24 when NBC is airing a DreamWorks Animation holiday special. The fate of the remaning original Undercovers episodes is unclear. This is the second new NBC series to get cancelled, along with legal drama Outlaw. The rest of NBC's freshman class all received back-nine orders two weeks ago. At the time, Undercovers got a pickup for four additional scripts.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 02:47:15 pm »
That's a shame. I got to give NBC credit for trying the show though, and I hope they at least show the remaining episodes, or don't take forever to release the DVD. I'm really going to miss my weekly shot of GMR.

I wish that USA had gotten the show. It might've been able to survive. Oh well.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 04:05:54 pm »
Booo, NBC... and Chuck trudges on.. blah..   ::)

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 07:22:16 pm »
Booo, NBC... and Chuck trudges on.. blah..   ::)

Why "Boo" NBC?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 07:46:34 pm »
heh-heh... in this era of stuff getting canceled after one episode, Undercovers lasted better than many.. but for it to get the axe now just fulfills the cliche' that the old-line networks (nbc, abc, cbs) won't support a black-led drama.. If Benson & Stabler on SVU were black, my guess is that they wouldn't have gone for 10+ seasons..  ;)