Author Topic: LUKE CAGE OR BLACK PANTHER?  (Read 13480 times)

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: LUKE CAGE OR BLACK PANTHER?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 06:13:42 pm »
Panther's the guy I'd want to be.

Cage is the guy I'd want to watch my back.

Co-sign on this.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 07:13:10 pm »
Black Panther/T'Challa
Pull List

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 09:06:56 pm »
Black Panther. Cage is just okay for me, but I don't see what's so great about him. I do enjoy him in Thunderbolts though.

I think BP is a more interesting character with a lot of flexibility to explore all types of stories, whereas Cage is a bit more limited. Plus, BP has a classic, streamlined costume, whereas Cage's was so bad they don't have him in it anymore, and haven't even cared enough to put him in a costume again. Granted he doesn't need to be in a costume, but it would be nice to have a black superhero actually look like a superhero.

So, if its a question of who I would want to be? The king of one of the most powerful countries in the world, a strong black nation untouched by colonialism, with non-self-hating, self-doubting black folk, a straight up hero who comes home to Storm every night. Or Luke Cage, a guy with a questionable past, a questionable future, and comes home to Jessica Jones. I'm picking BP. BMB's attention be damned.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 09:31:47 am »
Like I wrote earlier...it was a tough decision for me...but after reading Doomwar #6.  It's Cage in a landslide!

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 06:44:23 am »
Panther.
To me, Luke Cage is just as much a stereotype now as he was when he was created. Which makes me curious about why Bendis loves that character so much.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 05:29:19 pm »
Panther.
To me, Luke Cage is just as much a stereotype now as he was when he was created. Which makes me curious about why Bendis loves that character so much.

Stereotype in what way?

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 05:49:49 am »
Panther.

Stereotype in what way?

The classic Big Black Brute Caricature complete with a white woman. Seen before:

Ghetto/Inner City, gang background. (yawn)Done to death.
But hey, I get it, folks like him, no problem. Bendis took him off the "mean streets" and made him "respectable". Got him a deluxe apartment Mansion in the sky...for only a dollar (which his broke black ass had to borrow from his white friend). He's just not my cup of tea Malt Liquor, which is good, because it just inspires me to create a much better character. I can....and I will.
Peace!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 06:44:25 am »
Bendis has put Cage in nearly every Marvel Universe comic he's written with the exceptions of Mighty Avengers, Dark Avengers and Spider Woman.

In Daredevil he was hired as Matt's bodyguard(since after his secret I.D. was blown, bad guys kept coming at Matt and his law partners day and night). In Alias and Pulse, Cage and Jones have a relationship.

Making Cage Jessica Jones's lover was his way of putting both of of his pet characters(Cage) and the character he created(Jessica Jones) together.

Since Jessica Jones was nly created because Bendis wasn't allowed to use Spider Woman at the time, one wonders if he'd of had Cage hook up with Spider Woman.

They are both 70's characters anyway.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:46:57 am by Vic Vega »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 06:58:12 am »
Vic-- that would've been awesome, if Jess. Drew had been the Alias character and the hook-up/relationship happened.. and I think the fanboy scorn would've been even more vitriolic, heh-heh..

Kris.. yo, where'd you get those pics from?  was that movie a foreign production?   ;D
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 07:27:43 am »
Vic- Thanks for the history lesson, but I knew all that. My opinion of Cage is still the same, as is my resolve to do something better. I'm just not impressed with his track record regarding minority characters and if I had my way, I'd undo the B.S. he did to Hector Ayala and bring back the real White Tiger. But, hey, that's just me. :-\

Hype- I got the images from here:
http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/brute/more/brute_page.htm
You could probably just do a search for "Hulking Black Brute white woman stereotype" and come across it or something similar, the stereotype is, sadly, so prevalent.
Yes, hooking Cage up with Spider-Woman would have been interesting as opposed to just creating any random white woman character and retconning her into MU history just to hook her up with Cage, and folks had the gall to say BP and Storm( who were paired in a story done almost 30 damn years ago) getting married was "forced". ::)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 01:08:13 pm »
I liked Jessica before and more than Luke truth to tell she is one of my all time favorites. And I love them together.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 11:05:00 am »
I liked Jessica before and more than Luke truth to tell she is one of my all time favorites. And I love them together.

I like it too P.  I think the "stereotype" would be him leaving her with the child and not taking responsibility, leaving her on superhero food stamps and a hero wic card.   ;)

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 05:18:27 pm »
Yes, hooking Cage up with Spider-Woman would have been interesting as opposed to just creating any random white woman character and retconning her into MU history just to hook her up with Cage, and folks had the gall to say BP and Storm( who were paired in a story done almost 30 damn years ago) getting married was "forced". ::)

Don't you know Black people don't fall in love with each other?

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 07:35:35 pm »
On a side note about the black guy from the movie: El Poder Negro. His love interest was a black woman. The white woman in that picture was just a femme fatal attempting to seduce him. (She failed)

By the way Kristopher how are you exactly going to punt an end to the black brute stereotype? By replacing it with the "black ho" in a bikini killing rhinos with swords?? :P

Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.