Author Topic: Flags of Our Fathers  (Read 2490 times)

sunjata

Flags of Our Fathers
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:16:23 am »
Clint Eastwood’s simple modest directorial style is perfect in relaying the tale brought forth in Flags of Our Fathers.  This is a tale about how wars are sold to the public and the toll it takes on the soldiers that fight them.  With this country's current situation in Iraq, much food for thought is provided here. 

The acting is top notch.  Never liked Ryan Phillippe in anything I viewed him in before but now I see that his acting skill is developing quite well.  The only negative comment I have is that the film is a bit too long.  If you are in the mood for a serious thoughtful World War II epic, this one should be just the ticket.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
Re: Flags of Our Fathers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 08:25:04 am »
yea Im looking forward to seeing the movie...just wondering if you saw Ryan Phillippe in the Way of the Gun with Benecio Del Toro? or Little Boy Blue?

sunjata

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 02:37:24 pm »
yea Im looking forward to seeing the movie...just wondering if you saw Ryan Phillippe in the Way of the Gun with Benecio Del Toro? or Little Boy Blue?
No, I saw him in I Know What You Did Last Summer, Cruel Intentions and Crash.  Was he good in the movies you mentioned?

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 03:21:06 pm »
The Way of the Gun is a good action movie in my opinion one of his best movies; LBB I thought showed his acting ability you should check them out

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 05:12:16 pm »
good film.. but not long enough!  should have been 3 hours..

all the principals played their parts well.. I was surprised to see Paul Walker in such a small (but important) role.. Also, I was surprised that the director didn't give himself anything to do onscreen..

SPOILERS
..We get to see a glimpse of the black sailors (who of course, were presumably relegated to cooking/cleaning duty).. but that's it.. s'okay, I know this isn't "their" story.. It'll come, I guess..

I thought I knew Adam Beach from somewhere.. he apparently was in Windtalkers with Nic Cage.. It's messed up what happened to Ira Beach (and to a lesser extent, Rene-- but at least he and Doc got to live a good while)..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

sunjata

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 06:17:15 pm »
The Way of the Gun is a good action movie in my opinion one of his best movies; LBB I thought showed his acting ability you should check them out
Thanks.  I will try to check them out.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 10:44:04 am »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 01:00:15 am »
Clint Eastwood’s simple modest directorial style is perfect in relaying the tale brought forth in Flags of Our Fathers.  This is a tale about how wars are sold to the public and the toll it takes on the soldiers that fight them.  With this country's current situation in Iraq, much food for thought is provided here. 

The acting is top notch.  Never liked Ryan Phillippe in anything I viewed him in before but now I see that his acting skill is developing quite well.  The only negative comment I have is that the film is a bit too long.  If you are in the mood for a serious thoughtful World War II epic, this one should be just the ticket.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll just wait until this comes out on video or cable. I still have little enthusiasm in war-based films.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?