Author Topic: Man Had a Plant Growing Inside His Lung  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Man Had a Plant Growing Inside His Lung
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:37:55 pm »
from GAWKER:

Man Had a Plant Growing Inside His Lung

When Massachusetts man Ron Sveden was rushed the hospital after spending months coughing, he expected to receive a cancer diagnosis. So you can imagine his relief when it turned out to be a "half-inch" pea plant growing in his lung.

For months, Sveden, already stricken with emphysema, was feeling "listless," and had been coughing a lot. On Memorial Day, his wife called 911, and on his trip to the hospital doctors found that a lung had collapsed. What else did they find, after two weeks of tests? A plant. A pea plant. Inside of him.

Sveden told local TV station WHDH that the plant was "probably about a half-an-inch, which is a pretty big thing of course." (Of course it is a "pretty big thing"! A half-an-inch pea plant is a larger pea plant than I have ever grown outside my own body.) Doctors hypothesize that the pea ended up in his lung after being swallowed the "wrong way," at which point it sprouted inside of his body and began to grow. (How? I don't know "how." All I know is that a pea plant tried to kill him.)

It's unclear whether or not the pea would have "gone full term" (like a disgusting lung baby) and Sveden would "be working for the Jolly Green Giant," as he puts it. (I think he means, "dead"? But maybe like, a vegetable superhero.) He has nonetheless taken his vengeance on the herbage that attempted to kill him: "One of the first meals I had in the hospital after the surgery had peas for the vegetable. I laughed to myself and ate them."

There is something deeply chilling about this story, isn't there? Maybe it's the part where a plant was growing inside a person, like a tiny alien fetus. If you eat a hamburger, and it goes down the wrong way, nothing "grows" in your lung—you just die of asphyxiation. But if you eat a pea, you could turn into a man-pea hybrid. Ask yourself: Which is worse?

[WHDH]

Send an email to Max Read, the author of this post, at max@gawker.com.